Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    So, I've had my Lumia 1520 for a about a year and a half. I like Windows Phone and the 1520 a lot, but it went in for repair three times. Now that it's out of warranty, it again breaks. Apparently, the cable for the speaker/MIC/touch buttons on the front is now loose, which is a known issue for the 1520 along with white spots on the screen. If I bang on the bottom, it'll work, but when it's not working, you can't speak into the phone. I've had a few times where I called someone and they hung up on me cause they couldn't hear me. Strangely enough, it works if you plug headphones in, but couldn't find a fix for it. I don't have the inclination to do it myself and probably would break it. Plus, I'd have to spend money to buy tools for the job on a two year old phone. The cost to get it fixed it is likely too close to the cost of a new phone to justify repairing it, so time for a new phone.

Instinctively, I wanted another Windows Phone, but the pickings are slim. Given my history with the 1520, it may have been luck of the Irish, but I didn't want another 1520. I like larger phone, so the 640 XL and 1320 may have been options, but low res screens, mediocre cameras and the fact I'd be giving up a GB of system memory left those options off the table. Given that I like the 1520, the 950 XL I might have been an option, but you can't buy it right now and it's likely $700+ for a new one. If I could have waited for one off eBay for $350ish like I did with the 1520, I might have gone that way, but that's not an option right now.

I had an original iPhone and liked it, but a new 64GB Plus one would cost $900+, so for the same reasons I won't get the 950 XL, I won't be getting an iPhone. That leaves me with Android as the best chance for a good budget phone. I didn't have a good experience with when I had the Galaxy S2, but that was a while ago and Android seems to be my only choice unless I want to spend big bucks. My criteria were a nice larger screen( I always thought the 1520 was about a half inch too big), a good camera and good battery life, so I bought the:

[​IMG]

LG G4, which I think is a good fit given my wants and needs. It's got a 5.5" 1440 IPS display, 3GB of memory, a top notch camera and supposedly good battery life. Time will tell on that one I guess. I like the red leather. It's factory unlocked, so maybe Marshmallow will come my way. The removable battery and micro SD for easy storage upgrades are nice bonuses too.

2. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Was planning on getting a new SSD or two on Cyber Monday - Micro Center had a 960 GB Ultra II for $200, and the higher-end Extreme Pro of the same size for $330. But, I was tired, and didn't get there. So, sticking with my MX100, which to be fair I've been pretty happy with, even if it is 1/4 the size.

Instead, my most recent purchase was an IRA. Individual Retirement Account in particular, not Irish Republican Army, which would be well out of my price range. Probably should've started one of these before a regular investment account, but didn't realize there were tax benefits to doing so before.

Pity about the Lumia 1520 not lasting very long. I have a similar camera in my Symbian phone, and have been pretty happy with it. May the G4 be both satisfying and considerably longer-lasting than the 1520!

Fishon, Jarhead and ajkula66 like this.
  3. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If I had an Android phone, that's the one I would choose ;)

:vbthumbsup:

4. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Going away for a weekend, which means I won't be able to play R6 Siege. Luckily this game will get me through the weekend.

5. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
  6. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    IIRC, didn't you sort of get cut off by the boss not too long ago? :wideeyed:

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Correct. Had to endure the 'I don't want to hear about it' during the black Friday deals, but the moratorium is over for Christmas. :D Used an auction site, stayed disciplined, some good luck, and purchased well. $511 with deep discounts. The best way to buy...

...and the worst. One Illusione Epernay L'Alpiniste $14.95 and smoked it at their lounge: http://www.excaliburcigarlounge.com/ One of the best cigars I've ever had though...

...while waiting for my rescue team. Went down to San Diego to do some work on the house when the pin in the ignition switch assembly broke and I was stranded (smoking a cigar and having a beer at the lounge- oh the horror). Brother in law knows a friend who has an auto shop just down the road. One of his workers shows me how to hot wire the truck to get me home- no charge. Last purchases was his tip. :newpalm:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    Gabrielgvs likes this.
  8. thegh0sts

thegh0sts Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    starcraft 2 and heart of the swarm

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Thousands for my boy's semester tuition. Thousands for getting the family trust in order. Thousands for a ring I'm getting my wife for Xmas. Kimchi, seaweed, and two Diamond Crown cigars at a San Diego B&M.

[​IMG]
    I find some of the artwork on cigar boxes and bands to be quite interesting.

10. Nick

Nick Professor Carnista

Reputations: