Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Unless the crack in your manifold is slightly larger than micro. I know the exhaust leak on my Buick takes a few minutes to die down some.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  3. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Gotta love hydraulic tappets. Do as HAL suggested. A faulty pcv system can hamper the oil pressure and therefore the lifter's performance.

Only other thing I can suggest is to do check the lifter for free play. This can be very easy or hard depending on your vehicle. If there is none, then it could be the oil pressure problem you think it is.

But at that point, he will be able to see the crack with his unaided eye.

hizzaah likes this.
  4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Yea, I was working on a friends car a while back (Toyota) and was replacing his exhaust manifold. He had a very large, very visible, vertical crack in it. Sounded awful on startup, but about 5 minutes later, after the manifold had heated up and expanded... sounded normal.

Another thing to think about, although a bit more rare, is injector noise. Fuel injectors are really noisy when they're about to fail. Plus, you'll hear it tap-tap-tap, almost like you would hear a lifter.

hizzaah likes this.
  5. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I actually replaced the pcv when I was working on the lifters.. Mostly because I accidentally broke the old one :vbrolleyes:

I'll check out the rest of the vacuum lines and look into the injectors. At the very least I'm sure they could use a cleaning. I rebuilt the injectors on my Mustang a few years ago, I wonder if it's worth giving that a go here or if I can just dump some sort of detergent in with the gas. I've used a few various gas system cleaners in the past on other cars (one by chevron and another from gumout). Not sure how well they really work though..

Took the Jeep for an inspection on Friday, waited an hour only to be told it wouldn't pass because two of the tires were no bueno. I knew it was getting close on the tires but I was hoping it would squeak by until tax return time but such is life. The full sized spare was brand new so we put that back as the spare and got 4 new tires and an alignment.

It's time for brakes as well. I know the fronts need new rotors and pads, I think the rear rotors will survive a few more turnings with some fresh pads. Always something...

6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    If anyone wants to follow the build log/progress: http://www.overclock.net/t/1539140/x99-alienware-predator-2-0b-retro-build

[​IMG]

Intel 5820K: 300
    ASUS X99 Deluxe: 350
    Corsair H75: 70USD (pricematced)
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4GB 2400MHz DDR3: 240
    EVGA Supernova 750G2 750W power supply: 125 (have 25usd rebate)
    WD Black 4TB: 200
    QVS DisplayPort cable: 40
    EVGA GTX 970ACX 2.0 FTW: 360 (pricematched)

Replacement program (in store credit in full purchase value for trade etc - cpu-gpu-mobo) 2 years - 30-50-50

1980USD w/ tax.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Thierry19 and killkenny1 like this.
  7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Long time no see!

Anyway, bought a bunch of stuff over the last... few weeks?... I haven't been on NBR. Timex had a sale on Amazon for their Weekender watches, so I picked up one for cheap for when I don't want to ruin my Seiko (hiking, for example). Gas is damn low here, ~$1.75/gal(!!!!!!!). A phone case for my brother. Blah blah blah.

8. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    GeForce 970? Uh oh, better bump up to 980 with the whole 3.5GB+500MB vRAM fiasco going on...

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    970 is still a good card, despite the false advertising. They should lower the price tho.

10. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Tickets to Igloofest.