Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Lifters? Whats your make and model.

PS: how are you sure its the tappets?

2. radji

Reputations:
    $300 for the alarm on my car. They originally wanted $890, but I want gonna pay that ridiculous price.

3. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Doesn't alarm come by default in newer cars?

4. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    "hydraulic lash adjusters" is the more accurate name. I can hear the noise coming from the passenger valve cover so it's something in there. As far as I know, it can only really be the lash adjusters or maybe the rocker arms or springs but I had all the rocker arms off and they looked good when I replaced that bank of lifters. It could be that I got a bad replacement lifter, but I'm leaning more towards something being clogged and not getting enough oil to that side which is why I wanted to try the MMO.

Swapped in a new oil filter with the old oil (filter is on the side of the block) and poured in the MMO. I let it run for 30-45 min while I was using my steam cleaner in the engine bay. Drained the oil which was blacker than heck despite the last oil change being less than 2k miles ago. Put on a new filter and filled it up again and while I heard the noise for a little bit at first, I haven't heard it since.

It only makes the noise at cold start which is apparently common on KJ Jeeps (especially with 200k miles). I also noticed that it usually doesn't make the noise if the A/C or heater is off. Idk when the belt was last replaced but I'll probably replace it when I get back into town.

It also needs new rotors and pads all the way around. All the little rubber suspension bushings probably should be replaced too but I really don't want to get into all that. I'm thinking the gf is getting close to trading this thing in soon anyway.

5. radji

Reputations:
    Course not! This is the American auto industry. Where they nickel and dime you for EVERYHING!

The car does come with Key FOBs to lock and unlock the doors. But the alarms are technically "aftermarket". There's no conceivable reason to charge $890 for a car alarm. Getting a whole new alarm installed would have been $200-300 at a place like Best Buy. So I'm not too uncomfortable with an alarm costing that much. So, yes, I share your surprise and resentment. I do not like the fact that a new or Certified Pre-Owned car don't come standard with an alarm.

How long does the tick last from cold start? 2-3 seconds or 30-60 seconds?

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Well, at least you got cheap petrol...

radji likes this.
  7. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    I think Germany has it correct. I hate alarms with a passion, and none of the BMW's come with an alarm. They come with remote lock/unlock/trunk release with the build options and pre-wiring for an alarm system. Alarms serve no purpose, imho. Alarms are more trouble than good because they always foul up in some way and randomly start going off, blowing the horn, flashing the lights, draining the battery... ugh. If someone is gonna steal your car or something in it, they're gonna do it regardless of the alarm, and besides... if your car has an immoblizer system, without the key it's not going anywhere anyway. (Let me break into my car by busting the window out, take apart the dash, remove the EWS system, use my reader to pull security info, have my precut key ready to program with AK90 RFID scanner/writer). Basically, if someone wants to steal my car and is successful in driving off in it, having made/programmed their own key, kudos to them. They almost deserve to keep it.

About the ticking, if you have a CCV/PCV valve for crankcase ventilation, check that. Make sure all your vacuum connections are kosher as well.

hizzaah and ajkula66 like this.
  8. radji

Reputations:
    Toyota uses a dual immobilizer system. First one is factory within the Key. Unless the EMC gets a signal from the RF chip in the key, the ignition switch can't activate the starter.

Second one is part of the "factory alarm"...i.e. aftermarket alarm Toyota dealers have installed. When the alarm is activated or tripped, it cuts off power to the fuel pump.

It does provide me with some piece of mind as most car thieves are incredibly stupid and cowardly. The blaring horn is enough to scare those chicken cats away. The bolder car thief who's not so scared will attempt to hot wire the ignition, but unless they have intermediate electrical knowledge like you or me, chances are they probably couldn't figure out how to hot wire the fuel pump as well. Which is sad cause that is easier to hot wire than the ignition.

But yes, if a car thief has gone to the trouble to make up a precut key to my vehicle and has the necessary computer skills to program the RFID chip in it, by all means. I have comprehensive, and the deductible is covered by the alarm manufacturer.

In reality, I'm not that worried. I park my car either in my driveway or directly across the street within view of my bedroom window. So I'm not worried about it during the night. At school, I park in the front student lot where there's about 500 other cars. Many far nicer than mine. Good luck making it past campus police checkpoint at the gate. They check cars going in and out (why I don't know). And a thief can forget about stealing my car from my work. I work at a City Hall. The campus and parking garage are patrolled by San Diego Sheriff's Dept. And them folks are known to shoot first and ask questions later.

No, the alarm was more for when I venture out to more undesirable locations in my daily travels. I did ask the service tech to lower the shock sensor's sensitivity. That way the alarm won't go off everytime a Harley drives by. :vbrolleyes:

AS for the ticking, I asked about duration cause if its only 3-10 seconds, it could be a microcrack in the exhaust manifold. Lifter ticks tend to persist for upwards of 30 seconds.

9. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Usually closer to the 1-2 min mark.. I thought about exhaust leak but like you said it lasted a bit too long for that

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  10. hizzaah

Reputations:
    Double post. Mobile on this new site setup is so.... different? Gah..