Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Hey, I never thought I'd spend $500 on a pair of headphones.

Now that I have, I understand the "why" part.

2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Ticket for Dj Shadow and Cut Chemist show.

3. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Starbucks. :mad: Really was my last purchase too, because my cappuccino sucked, and I'm totally over the idea of "Barista's" not having any more of a clue about what makes a good shot of espresso beyond "I push a button; the computerized machine is supposed to be calibrated. :rolleyes: There's a crazy lack of good coffee shops around here, and I only go when I don't have time to make it myself. At this point, I'd rather down an energy drink than to ever step into another SBUX.

4. Johnny T

Johnny T Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well I mean...every single Starbucks practically uses the same automatic machine. Expectations might have been misaligned...we are not exactly talking about a place with Synesso Cyncras and a person who knows what they are doing behind it. I go to Starbucks because I can expect a reasonable (not absolutely terrible) cup of coffee where ever I am in the world. Of course, when I am in a city that I know, I go somewhere where they know what they are doing.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Nobody at Starbucks really knows what they're doing, as previously mentioned. It's the McDonald's of the coffee world.

Personally, I'd suggest you check out the local coffee shops in your area. I find those to be the best for coffee, outside the home.

katalin_2003 likes this.
  6. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    Yeah, see that's the thing, and you hit it. I have been struggling with expectations, because when I first went to SBUX, it was back in 96', and that shop was using a manual Pavoni machine with people who had half a clue. The espresso was really good. You'd think that the automatic machine would ensure at least a consistently acceptable shot, but in my experience, they're even able to eff that up.

7. Gabrielgvs

Reputations:
    I concur captain. In fact, I think I put it in almost exactly those terms to my wife.

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Needed a table to serve as an end table/tv tray:

[​IMG]

9. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    Considering the price of their coffee (comparatively to places like McDonald's, Dunkin' Donuts or in Canada, Tim Hortons), I'd disagree with that statement :p I'd only associate anything with McDonald's in terms of a cheap fix for a craving. Starbucks IMO is anything but cheap; in fact its prices align with some of the nicer coffee shops I frequent.

But I do concur it's best to have coffee from a local coffee shop/roaster if you know where you're going (or are willing to just try a bunch of them). I always find it amusing that my younger cousin learned how to make good coffee at her job (working at a bakery/breakfast spot) but she herself has never really drank it :p

10. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    Bilstein struts and mounting brackets.

~$800.