Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Yeah...no... I don't think any of us can afford any of those things, except Mr. Two Point Oh, Vogelbumg, and JM.

Fishon likes this.
  2. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    booboo12 and killkenny1 like this.
  3. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I dislike the tip system. Why not just pay them minimum wage (or better, based on performance), and raise the prices on the menu if needed...

4. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Yeah, that sucks as much as <del>just the</del> tip system, at least in, what it's called, service sector? I friend of a friend works as a car salesman, and he told us how he lost few bonuses just because his manager stole some of his "close to seal the deal" clients.
    However it may work in other sectors.
    Unless everyone does it, the restaurant may have a danger of losing some of the customers.

5. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Depending on the establishment, people can make quite a bit of money on tips. In terms of performance evaluation, it's entirely possible that servers are far better off at the mercy of the vast majority of the public than with penny-pinching bean-counters who often times have no idea as to the impact these employees in the context of their job. For me, I cannot remember ever giving less than 20% regardless of the service, though I may have something to say to management. Likewise, I like being able to show my appreciation for people who are excellent at what they do, and with that in mind I have given some pretty crazy tips on occasion.

triturbo and Fishon like this.
  6. killkenny1

Reputations:
    20%, that's a big tip.
    That's true, people can make quite a bit of money. Things is, what if they don't. So that's why I think they should get paid the minimum wage.

7. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    New knife for White Tail this hunting season - Fallkniven Idun:

[​IMG]

Fishon likes this.
  8. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    Technically, the restaurant is supposed to pay the difference between the base salary + tips and the minimum wage if the base salary + tips doesn't add up to the minimum wage. But that probably doesn't happen very often in practice. And in some places, such as Alabama, there isn't a minimum wage (although it's only purely-within-Alabama businesses that wouldn't be subject to the federal regulations).

9. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Busboy, waiter, catering, banquet server, valet, hotel room service, and bellman were all some of my positions were I received tips. Telemarketing, mortgage, stock broker, head hunter, and now commercial insurance are some of the positions which have a tiered commission pay structure. Would never work a position with a set salary or hourly wage- It's not in my makeup.

Hustle and alertness is rewarded and Gabe is correct in his thinking. But there is a difference now and back then. I'd actually wait your table and hustle for the extra ( beyond the 15% a customer like Gabe might tip) and now there is so much ineptitude, often a waiter doesn't care knowing he or she will 'get' his 15%. I tip in the 18% range, and always more on a small bill- even for weak service.

For most, the system works. You have to be pretty lame not get at least get minimum wage. You have to work your way up to the higher tipping opportunities at a certain restaurant or hotel. My bellman position at a major hotel was a highly highly desired position which many a grown men would have taken. On the other hand I know of many establishments where the waiter must divide the tips evenly, or not get the tips at all as management keeps it.

10. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Gee, what was your first clue...? :rolleyes:

One of these days, you're gonna have to roller coaster me around in your BMW. :D

I seriously considered retrofitting my Tacoma with DS2's (currently just use bi-xenon H4s), but that would involve new projectors. And if there's one thing that gives me a headache, its doing a headlamp alignment.

I'm surprised you didn't consider Phillips or Morimoto. Lot more options even if quality takes a hit.

As far as the rubber cover goes, I feel your pain. I at least was able to move the blocking components (battery on left side, washer fluid reservoir on right side) out of the way. Otherwise, you may have to bite the bullet and remove the whole projector.