Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    So long as you don't go with that pseudo-fiber/composite/ceramic brake pad and/or rotor crap, you should be fine. I always laugh when someone tells me they spent so much more money on their brake or clutch replacement because the contact pads are ceramic. It always puts a smile on my face when I tell such suckers that the ceramic pads last so much longer because they provide only 60%-70% of the surface traction that traditional Brake Pad Material.

2. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Oh no, no ceramic brakes. I'd get vented cross drilled rotors, and find pads twice the size. My rental car was a Hyundai Accent, and that sucker can stop on a dime, even in the pouring rain. I was impressed.

3. J.Dre

J.Dre Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Bought some WeatherTech Wind/Rain Deflectors for the windows on my car. Should be here by the end of the week. I've been wanting to purchase some forever now and finally did. Hopefully they work as well as I've been told they do.

4. turqoisegirl08

turqoisegirl08 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Acer C720 Chromebook for a reasonable price. Going to see how it fares as my take to school laptop. Going to give this a test run and if does not gel with my school routine and demands (low-maintenance; docs & web browsing; light carrying weight; decent battery run-time) I will return it within the allotted return window. It sold with 'Free Return' so we'll see how this goes.

HTWingNut likes this.
  5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
  6. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    500 for that is totally reasonable in my mind. But thats mostly because Rotors (vented only. Anything else would be x2 the cost for no performance benefit save for on a track)+Pads+Sensors was ~800 (installed) for my car, which seems like an entirely outrageous price...

right up until someone slams on them. A stock 135i with oem RFT's will go from 60-0 in 105ft according to MT, with the tires being the main limitation.
    A car like mine with slightly wider super-ultra-max-whatevertheyarecalled summer performance tires (PSS's all around) will do it in even less space. The only faster way to stop would be to hit a tree.

In related news, I had to drive my brothers Camry to a local BMW dealership to buy plastic screws that hold the rear interior panels in place. That car is the definition of bland.

Other related news: those plastic screws annoy me to no end. 4 hold each side of the rear back seat in place, and they are all different colors (and subsequently have different part numbers). Nobody could tell me why they were different at the dealership. They don't even _stock_ 3 of them, just the "natural" colored ones that are pure plastic with no color on them At least they didn't charge a fortune for them, only 50 cents each which is entirely reasonable.

(Why do I need said screws? I may have been looking for the source of a squeak and ended up disassembling the entire back seat area, all to get to the rear windows. Had to pull the rear window units out to have a looksie and found the squeaking was due to a clamp on a deteriorating barcode sticker.)

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    Melody and radji like this.
  8. Melody

Melody How's It Made Addict

Reputations:
    ^ Are Americans allowed to go to Cuba on vacation yet? I've been to both but Cuba is often better value (although the overwhelming number of Quebecois people there is a bit off putting :p) although the food is better in the Dominican Republic IMO.

9. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    IIRC, only if you're a Cuban-American with family there.

10. Apollo13

Apollo13 100% 16:10 Screens

Reputations:
    In general, no. But that doesn't mean some don't. I had a Spanish teacher in high school who went to Cuba most years. He'd go to Canada or Mexico and fly to Cuba from there. I reckon he probably used his driver's license to get into Canada (and nowadays, a passport card, which works for getting to Canada in lieu of a full passport), and took cash to spend instead of credit.

I also knew someone who went to Cuba through his university, but that was a special program.

IMO it's a stupid relic of the Cold War that should've been abolished in the '70s when it became clear it wasn't doing anything to remove Castro from power (and if not then, at the very least in the '90s). So I only ever buy Cuban rum while I'm abroad. It's not necessarily the best, but if I can't buy it locally I'm going to buy it when I can!

Edit: Technically, Americans can travel to Cuba, they just can't have any commercial transactions there. Flying in on a commercial airliner counts as a commercial transaction because the airline has to pay the airport for services. But theoretically, if you flew your own plane from Florida to Cuba, landed in some grassy field, took off again without buying fuel in Cuba, and went back to Florida, I think you'd be in the clear, at least from that standpoint. Aviation regulations might be another story.

Melody, Fishon and Jarhead like this.