Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Troubles with the girlfriend again? :D

2. Teraforce

Teraforce Flying through life

Reputations:
    A new battery for my mom's Nikon Coolpix, mainly because I saw it on clearance at Staples for $9.

That's how much it was here until today; it's now $3.99. Regular gas is now more expensive than diesel for the first time in almost a decade (Diesel is $3.89). But $4.25 for premium? That seems too high If regular is $3.89, premium would typically be $4.16 ($0.12 diff. from reg. to mid. + $0.14 diff. from mid to premium. The differences used to be $0.10 and $0.12, and before that they were both $0.10)

The Chrysler Laser/Dodge Daytona from the 80s had Brake pad wear sensors... and an optional digital dashboard AND an Electronic Voice Alert System! (See the 0:45 mark for the brake pad alert)
    <iframe width='480' height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/onsJ9i2p3yE?rel=0" frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2015
  3. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Lol, not quite :p putting together some late grad gifts for some friends who usually rely on me for everything car/tool/common sense related. No, you can't buy common sense, but you can buy safety scissors..

4. booboo12

booboo12 Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    That damn 4 speed worries the crap out of me. I know it was a timebomb with the v6 but my Accord 4 banger's autotragic does some strange behavior..its to the point where I really don't trust it. Example: feeling some weird fluctuations in power delivery while maintaining a constant speed (around 25 to 35 mph) esp with the AC on. I plan on having the fluid and such changed. I haven't seen the flashing PRNDL yet thank goodness.

Tsunade: the Accord owners manual lists your mom's year as having the 5 speed auto. Sadly that tranny is also a pile....

If I could, I'd have gone stick...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    The wear sensors are something like 25 bucks each, but allow the car to do some fancy things like compensating for wear on the pads, drying the pads during the rain (for whatever reason this requires working sensors), and preparing for high speed braking (IE, the faster you go the closer the pads get to the rotors so if you need to slam on the brakes from, say, 155mph there is no delay before the pads grab the rotor).

1st is just short, and the turbos spin up fast enough that 2nd is fine. Hell, the default TCU programming doesn't really drop down to to 1st, staying in 2nd instead. My reflashed Alpina TCU will drop to 1st in D and DS, but requires manual downshifting from 2nd in psuedo-manual mode. With a tune, its actually faster to hit 60 staying in 2nd rather than shifting from 1st to 2nd.

While there might be a water pump that can fit and run, I doubt it could properly tie in like the existing one into the cooling system/emission systems. The water pump is what runs after the engine is shut off to cool the turbos and to keep the oil temp at a near constant 250 degrees during normal operation. Its about an 800 dollar job to replace the water pump and thermostat, which isn't cheap, but also isn't absurd for the work needed.

The water pump is one of two things that may suddenly die, the other being the High Pressure Fuel Pump (N54 TT only). The HPFP is under an extended warranty for 8 years iirc, and there is another extended warranty for the Turbo's waste gates for 12 years, although I might have gotten those flipped.

06 Z4's would most likely have the N52 engine in the 3.0si trim, which is the same engine as the x28i's (with a few differences to the intake. The N52 used in US 06 Z4's/330i's has a different intake manifold than the x28i's that semi replaced them. BMW's in Europe could still be ordered with the x30i engines, and the intake could be transplanted to us x28i's relatively easily for something like 30HP gains).
    2007 was the first year the N54's were available, and I believe the first turbo gas engine from BMW in something like 20 years (although thats off the top of my head, so who knows how accurate that is).
    The N55 was first used around 2010/2011 as the replacement for the N54 in x35i models, using what BMW learned from the N54 issues to make it much more reliable/economical. Single Turbo, no dodgy HPFP, reasonable carbon build up on the intakes, etc.

Officially, the N55 produces the same power as the N54, 300+hp/300+ft/lbs. And at stock, thats true. However, the N54 can take a ton more abuse and more power than the N55 since it was overbuilt (due to being the first turbo I6/etc). There is a reason the N54 was moved "up" in the lineup to the 335is (but _not_ the 135is, that got an uprated N55 for some reason) and the 1M. BMW's tune/is models were rated at something like 320/332, and an aftermarket tune will go to 380hp with no hardware modifications/reliability issues save for a shortened spark plug interval. Tunes in themselves won't cause any problems, but they do tend to make problems appear earlier than stock.

The '13 335i's are great fun to drive, and I almost got a 335i with the N55, but the fact that it would cost somewhere north of 15k to fix the hardtop meant I had to "settle" for the 135i with its much-more-reasonable 4k total roof replacement cost. The ~400lb weight different between the two didn't hurt either.

The GM tranny was used up until 2013, and while it wasn't a _bad_ transmission in itself, it just paled in comparison to the ZF 6 that the x30i's and x35i's came with. The ZF with the Alpina flash (backstory: the Alpina B3 was an Alpina'd up 335i with a different tune and transmission firmware. The TCU firmware can be flashed over standard 335i TCU firmware providing much more relaxed/smooth shifting in Drive, much faster/agressive shifting in DriveSport, and a pretty good DCT impression in manual mode. An added bonus is that it solves some slipping issues at higher (430whp+) tune levels going from 5th to 6th) is probably the best auto tranny I have ever used.

Wow. I ended up typing a lot more than I wanted...

6. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    :eek2:

Woah...that's a lot to digest.

I wonder why (other than capitalism) would OEMs use an embedded sensor for the pads instead some sort of a gap sensor which detects how far the pads have traveled before engaging the rotor and then calculates the pad wear that way. Then you wouldn't have to replace the sensors each time you replace the pads.

You'd be surprised the aftermarket electric water pumps you can get for combustion engines. Granted, space in a BMW's engine compartment would be an issue, and specs wise it would depend on if the OEM pump was controlled directly from the ECM, and if it was hosed/hardlined (versus an impeller-block fit). If the pump was totally external from the engine (i.e., it's own self contained pump that's plumbed to the engine), and the ECM controlled the pump operations via a relay and not a special sensor circuit inside the pump itself, then conceivably, you can use an aftermarket pump that is more reliable.

It seems like these sports car transmissions are over-matched for their engine size. Which is not a bad thing. My boss' old service truck was like that. Most Class 7 trucks would come with a straight 6-7 speed transmission or a 10 speed. Not his, his was a 15 speed Eaton Fuller. To drive normally, you'd start in 4th. That's the only truck I've ever seen do that. And it was because the trans was way oversized for a truck it's weight class and engine.

7. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The remaining pieces of the grad gifts. Screwdriver set, flashlight, box cutter, duct tape and a few other things. Now, at a certain point, my gf got involved in the selection process as these gifts are going to her friends and she was paying for half. That is how they ended up with these ridiculous, stubby, 8oz lime green hammers. I will make sure they know that I had nothing to do with the selection of these hammers :p

8. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    This delicious monster of a sandwich.

[​IMG]

9. Vogelbung

Vogelbung I R Judgemental

Reputations:
    Ice Cream 'created by Heston Blumenthal'.
    [​IMG]

Basically, what they did was pay a stack of cash to Blumenthal to put his name on a totally ordinary product.

Also, moar Dell servers.
    [​IMG]

And moar GRIDs to go in them.
    [​IMG]

10. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Umm... Ok.

I've actually got one of these, Its almost the most used hammer I have.. I use it every day to break up the ice in my freezer. :D
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

hizzaah likes this.