Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    You've heard correctly.

Honda lost a class-action lawsuit a few years ago, because these transmissions - mostly in heavy Odysseys - were blowing left and right anywhere between 55 and 70K (miles).

With that said, when we were shopping for a minivan, Odyssey turned out to be the most sensible choice, at least for us.

The fact that we still own her, at almost 195K with really no power train work (apart from normal upkeep) ever would make me guess that we were right.

Oh and we're still on the original trans...which is exceptionally rare...:hi2:

Not without a few tricks, though...:D

triturbo likes this.
  2. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    My brother picked an Odyssey for a 'good deal' after doing timing belt, tune up, ect the tranny went out. All said and done I'm pretty sure he's going to be into it about 9k. Youch.

I've been driving my car like a grandpa(5mph under limit) the last few days to get better mileage. I got 30.4 mpg out of it today. Better than the 22 mpg that I usually get when I drive like a teenager. Not to bad for a ~3500 lb car with a 3.8L V6 with an estimated 28mpg highway rating.

triturbo and ajkula66 like this.
  3. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    BMW? I'm guessing BMW.

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    You needed new ABS sensors??? Those things don't fail unless you ride your brakes until their red hot and melt the sensors. Can't blame you on not doing the brakes yourself. If it was only 100 for labor (assuming all 4 tires are rotors), that's an outstanding price for labor.

And once operating temp is reached...lemme guess...Wide-open-throttle. :D

Yup. BMW convertible. (If you can't tell, I'm a bit jealous) :rolleyes:

5. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure all new cars are rotors on all 4 wheels, heck my friend's '91 Supra had rotors on all 4 of his car.

6. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    Not ABS sensors, brake pad wear sensors. Basically a little doodad on the front left and rear right pads that has two wires that get worn through at different times to tell the car when its time to change the brake pads. The first wire breaks normally when the pads have an average of 8k miles left, and the second goes when they have something like 1000 miles left. Before the first wire goes the car guestimates the mileage remaining on the pads based on the driving pattern.

As for WOT, not as much as one would think. Mainly because 1st gear is nearly useless, and 2nd hits 60, and does it in a hurry.

And yes, its a BMW convertible, specifically a 135i with the glorious (albeit problematic) N54 engine. Does it have an electric water pump that will die randomly with the possibility of going from normal temp -> limp home mode -> ohcrapthecarshutofftopreventabrokenengine mode in 15 seconds? Yes. Do I care? No.

I will say the cost of ownership for the NA I6 128i/328i's is massively different. With the exception of the water pump, those engines are bulletproof, and they don't have to get the fancy (read: expensive) special brakes and rotors the 135i's have. They also are more fun to redline with their 3L I6's, but my god does the GM 6sp auto they come with suck.

7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Well I'll be damned. Brake pad wear sensors...must be a Euro-car thing. I'm used to checking the v-groove to see if the pads are worn. But then again, I'm also used to big trucks which only use drums and shoes which get replaced every 90 - 120 days.

Define "1st gear is useless". Like its too low a gear to gain any speed unless you mash the pedal, or does your BMW do better starting in a high gear like 2nd?

I would say if the waterpump is electrical, is there a chance you can find a reliable 3rd party one that runs off the 12v system that can be adapted to fit and isn't prone to sudden death? I had the privilege of getting to drive a 2006 Z4 some years ago. Not a bad little car. Especially with the top down. The owner has since sold it and got a 2013 BMW 335i hardtop. He bought the Z4 brand new and put 120'000 miles on it by the time he sold it. Haven't had the chance to check out the 335i, but from his pics and emails, it looks like an awesome car.

(PS: most GM 5/6 speed older auto trans sucked)

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I remember driving a early 2000's Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1L Vortec V8 with a 6 speed manual transmission...except 1st gear was a crawl/tow gear so realistically it was a 5 speed manual truck. Took me awhile starting to move in 2nd gear...

9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    All this car talk is fun. But my last purchase was a new Motherboard and CPU. Now I just need to find the right price on my case.

The case was down to $70 about 3 days ago before I knew that I was going to need one. :(

10. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Jumper Cables.. Picked up 3 sets of basic 16' 6 gauge.