Post Your Last Purchase

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by NBRUser0159099, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yes, I think it's 21MPG highway and 17 City. I would only consider it because I live 10 minutes from work.

2. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    I would say modern 6 speed automatic/CVT transmissions and more get better fuel economy. There are still cars with 4/5 speed automatic transmissions and a comparable 5/6 speed manual offers better fuel economy and power delivery than those. My mom's 2007 Accord LX 4 speed auto is like the brainchild of crappy automatic transmissions, that 4 cylinder Accord doesn't get above like 21-22 mpg combined which is pretty miserable for a 4 cylinder FWD car. And that Accord tranny is quite jerky and is the most obtrusive transmission I have ever driven.

And my current XV has a 2nd gen Lineartronic CVT transmission, it is the most dull thing to drive to work and back, though it allowed my XV to net 26-27 mpg combined for an AWD crossover that has a 8.7" ground clearance. But I'm gonna give it to the soon wife to be and get a car with a manual transmission as I cannot stand driving automatic/CVT every single day.

3. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    I said now... not 7 years ago. :p That thing is almost a decade old.

4. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I test drove a 2013 Chevy Sonic last September. It had a 1.4L Turbo and 6-speed automatic transmission. While the car had plenty of headroom and was actually rather comfortable, it felt underpowered and was rather jerky when it shifted. It also felt kind of jerky when braking as well. I'm kind of glad that I ended up not getting the car. Now my old 1997 Mercury Grand Marquis on the other hand, with all of the punishment that the car took from delivering pizzas, still drove great. It shifted smoothly and gave me no major problems. It's because of that car that I'm looking to get another Grand Marquis after the Pontiac.

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    You know that the fuel economy is ENTIRELY on the driver? Most modern automatics get better mileage because their software is optimized to be so (idiot proof (no offense)). You can beat the EPA even in non-hybrid, it's all up to your right foot and the left one as well, if you are like me, driving manuals. Gentle pressing the throttle, early shifting, avoiding to use brakes (means you have used just enough gas). I used to get 4.9l/100km (48mpg) in our '00 2.0 Accord coupe 5spd manual (alone, A/C off), while my brother was constantly above 7l/100km (33mpg). People complain why their hybrids can't get to the EPA ratings. Gee, I wonder why?

I got myself '05 Honda Civic Hybrid 5spd manual. I just love that instrument cluster :D It's a bit distracting, but once you get used to it, all of it is working for you. So far I'm getting 4.9l/100km (48mpg) combined with the A/C on. I wonder if I'm alone and A/C off where it would take me.

Just for clarification, I'm not one of those that lags the whole traffic. I drive close to normal, I'm just saving wherever and whenever I can. On the freeway I'm driving at 120km/h (75mph).

6. Patrick

Patrick I beat spamers with stiks

Reputations:
    My last big purchase: Getting my car pampered/serviced. That included:
    New Brakes+Rotors+Sensors ~ 790
    Coolant Flush ~ 225
    Spark Plugs ~120
    Intake Valve Walnut Blasting ~ 300
    Oil Filter Housing Gasket ~ 90ish
    Plus some other odds and ends. Total came to 1470, which is right around a fourth of what the dealers wanted to charge.

Was going to do the brakes and spark plugs myself, but just the brake hardware was going to run me 690 shipped, and the spark plugs were 90+20 for the special socket needed.

As for fuel saving? I try to drive as efficiently as possible, leaving it in its reflashed Drive mode, with its 6th gear upshift at 40mph. Riiiight up until the oil hits the proper temp to cool the turbochargers.

7. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Fuel economy is 80% up to the driver. If you have a 8000 pound truck with a gasoline V10, there isn't much you can do about fuel economy.

Anyways I think my mom's Accord transmission is going to go belly up, the V6 are known to go kaput, but you know they don't believe me when it comes to cars, so we'll see. The US Accord has the 2.4L K24 engine and the craptastic 4 speed automatic, the fuel economy is only rated like 23-24 combined, it's a pretty large mid sized car. That being said my old Integra RS 5 speed (with a B18B1) easily average 31-32 mpg combined even at 276k miles because I drove it that way.

8. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    That's pretty darn ridiculous, since our old Odyssey returns something like 20-22 combined in real life, with a 3.5 V6 and a *lot* more weight. Same lousy 4-speed auto...:mad:

9. Tsunade_Hime

Reputations:
    Well it feels like the trans is always trying to find the right gear...and never does. It always feel like you need to mash the pedal just to get any acceleration. I keep telling my mom to go to the Honda dealership to see if there could be anything done with the transmission. They seem to be in the 90's Japanese car mindset, where everything lasts to 200k no matter what, when they skip alot of the manufacturer recommended maintenance, which is what killed our CR-V (differential leaked, fluid never changed, transfer case leaked, engine oil leaked, gasket had to be replaced, they waited like 7-8k to do a conventional oil change, SRS unit died on it, and the list goes on). My dad's 2005 Honda Pilot is like ~19 combined, gets like 22 highway and 17 city still after 70k miles.

10. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    I've heard that the 4speed auto in the Hondas is pure evil.