Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Yotsuba, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Prototime

Prototime Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Seriously considering getting a 55" LG CX television... OLED display with 4K 120hz Chroma 4:4:4, HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and VRR/Gsync/Freesync over HDMI 2.1. I've wanted something better than an LCD screen for some time now. I was originally hoping to skip OLED altogether and get a MicroLED or QDEL TV that has the the benefits of OLED but can get brighter and not have any burn in. But it does not appear that these technologies will be available for many years still, and I'm growing impatient.

I might hold out for QD-OLED displays, which are supposedly hitting the market next year... but I don't necessarily want to adopt the first generation of this technology. And I have a feeling that high quality gaming QD-OLEDs won't be out for a couple years still.

The only things holding me back from buying an LG CX right now are (1) the TV still has many issues related to VRR/Gsync/Freesync and some issues with HDR, which hopefully LG will address with firmware updates; (2) I don't have my hands on an RTX 30-series card yet, and I'd like to use this TV in tandem with a new gaming setup; and (3) I'm hoping it'll go on sale soon--perhaps Black Friday/Cyber Monday, if not before.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    etern4l and JRE84 like this.
  2. etern4l

etern4l Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I doubt you can go wrong with this. What VRR/Freesync/GSync issues?

3. Prototime

Reputations:
    When the VRR/Freesync/GSync is enabled, the TV has a gamma shift where near-black colors are raised and appear grayer than they should. Stuttering occurs above about 90fps. A separate HDR issue occurs too; Dolby Vision is enabled, the black level is raised. In my view, the raised near-blacks and raised blacks defeat the purpose of getting an OLED (perfect blacks/"infinite" contrast)... and stuttering defeats the purpose of G-sync. So I'm holding out hope that LG will fix these issues.

4. etern4l

Reputations:
    And how do you know that? Aren't gamma and black levels customisable? I never noticed any such issues with the C9. Quite unlikely things regressed in the next year's model.

5. Prototime

Reputations:
    I know about it because of numerous customer complaints, and LG has acknowledged most of these problems. Some C9 owners have complained too. But the problems don't seem to affect everyone equally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/ixhp2b/lg_cx_gamingpc_monitor_bug_megathread/
    https://www.avsforum.com/threads/2020-lg-cx–gx-dedicated-gaming-thread-consoles-and-pc.3138274/

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  6. etern4l

Reputations:
    Interesting. Nothing I've noticed in my admittedly limited testing of the C9 as a PC monitor (and to be fair I would test at 4k, in which case FPS would be nowhere near 120), though I remember various reviews complaining about issues with things like eARC, only to see that this must have been clearly due to the person being unfamiliar with the TVs setup menu (to be fair, the layout is less the super-intuitive initially ;).

Prototime likes this.
  7. Prototime

Reputations:
    Sounds like you really enjoy your C9. I'm quite tempted to pick up a CX now, as it's seeing some hefty discounts. Plus some owners are now reporting the gamma shift is fixed. How do you like your C9 as a gaming monitor (assuming you game in it)? Any issues with low fps stutter or bad scaling?

etern4l likes this.
  8. etern4l

Reputations:
    I like the TV a lot, can't fault it really. I haven't used it for gaming much, but when I did it was great. OLED is the way to go for sure.The only issue is that a pointer button on the magic remote collapsed in so it's harder to use, presumably easy to replace under warranty, but not a very robust design. Still, the smart remote is amazing to use, it's like a magic wand.

Prototime likes this.
  9. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Sort of reluctantly I am purchasing an iphone 11 today. I need a new phone as my iphone 8 has developed connectivity problems. I am getting a decent trade in value for my phone. So there is that. All said and done, I am paying 456 bucks for the new phone which equals 19.00 a month over my contract. That's a good deal!

killkenny1 and etern4l like this.
  10. etern4l

Reputations:
    How did you trade your old phone in?

kojack likes this.