Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There's jazz for weebs now?

Fishon likes this.
  2. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Steve Hackett is coming to town! Most definitely going to see him perform!

Fishon likes this.
  3. XiCynx

XiCynx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I plan on selling the laptop I have in my signature "soon" (in about 20 posts) and replacing it with this:
    upload_2018-9-20_12-38-11.png

4. Datamonger

Reputations:
    A Killer 1550 wireless card and 120Hz 1080p panel for my Sager NP5855.

Convel likes this.
  5. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Maybe tickets to Metallica concert.

Convel likes this.
  6. Datamonger

Reputations:
    Some sort of Thunderbolt 3 external GPU solution, some sort of graphics card for the external GPU solution, and another NVMe SSD that's between 480 and 512GB.

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Two 10TB WD Easystores, NZXT H440, and maybe some other device (either a new phone or a PS4 + Ace Combat 7 pre-order)

8. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I can't decide whether I should get a new TV? I bought my 52” Sanyo TV, which still has a great picture, in 2010, but it has issues. Around the same time I built a HTPC using an AMD Athlon 600e CPU. It does everything I need to do, which is mainly watch movies and occasionally surf.

A couple years ago, I think the video card on my HTPC failed, though I'm not sure if that's the issue. I swapped in another ATI card that I had, which worked in another PC, but not in my HTPC. I bought a Nvidia card and eventually I thought I got it working.

So what's the problem? When I did get it working, I noticed the scaling was slightly off, so there's maybe a quarter inch sitting behind the bezel, which wasn't a big deal. Recently, I've noticed it's worse when using my PS4 and Xbox One, maybe a half inch or so. I have my devices routed through my receiver and it somehow works, but when I plug anything else directly into the TV, be it PS4, XboxOne, PC or Blu ray player, I get no signal, which seems very strange to me.

My first thought was to to just buy another TV, but when I went looking for a 55” 1080p TV, the only one I could find is the Best Buy Insignia house brand. It's only a few bucks less than better 4K TVs and has so-so reviews, though I did go Best Buy and look at it. It wasn't bad, though no OLED either, which looked very nice. I could go with with a 4K, but my issue with that I I'm thinking my 2010 PC won't do 4K without a GPU upgrade or maybe not at all, though I don't know much about it. I'd be on the hook for a new TV and computer.

I have my TV upstairs in the house and it sits about 9' from my couch. I'm not even sure a 4K TV is worth it because from what I've read. At 9' on 55” TV, there's no difference between 1080 and 4K, though a newer panel would get you better color. I could get a larger TV, but the roof on my house is angled, which limits how big of a TV I can get. I was kind of hoping the Insignia 1080 from Best Buy will make it into the Black Friday hoopla, which would make it easier to justify, but hasn't happened so far. A 55” TV is most likely the largest TV that'll fit in my car. If I go bigger and want to return it, I'll have to borrow my neighbors truck.

Do I keep what I got cause it mostly works, go for the Insignia as it's the easiest path or go bigger and make it work?

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Keep what you got until it dies. I still have my Sony Bravia from 2010. Works like a charm and picture is perfect. Until streaming/cable starts broadcasting in 4k, it's just not worth it. As for the scaling, PS4 and the Nvidia card have settings to adjust their scaling.

10. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You're probably right, but I'm weak. I'll likely see a good deal the next few weeks and succumb. I wouldn't mind getting a bigger TV, even if I have to sit a bit closer. I would love to get rid of the hideous two inch bezel on my 2010 Sanyo too. :D