Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, Apr 29, 2012.

1. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
    Well, they now make Android phones, so kinda lame. But I guess I could send you my Q10 once I retire it :D

2. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I want my next one to be whatever company can make a screen that's scratch-proof and crack-proof at the same time. I know there's some sort of continuum where there's hard to scratch/easily cracked on one side and easily scratched/hard to crack on the other, but I can dream.

3. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I happen to have the model that you're thinking of. The only real downside to it that I can think of is the two missing Thunderbolt 3 ports on the right side of the computer. Everything else is just awesome. The speakers sound amazing. The 13" Retina display is absolutely gorgeous. Even the 2nd generation butterfly switch keyboard is pretty good. Should you decide to buy the MacBook Pro without touchbar, do yourself a favor and get the 256GB model. It's also worth mentioning that the function keys model is the only MacBook Pro that has non-soldered storage. However, the NVMe SSD that Apple went with is even more proprietary than the previous ones.

4. Jarhead

Jarhead Perfectly Sane

Reputations:
    Eh, I wouldn't really need to pay that price hike for the 256GB SSD since I already have a NAS at home and a few high-capacity flashdrives and external hard drives (should I need stuff on the go that isn't online).

5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    You say that now...:rolleyes:

In actuality, I've have found I don't need a high amount of storage on my Surface either. Most of the large sized/important files are saved to OneDrive.

6. Datamonger

Reputations:
    I said the same thing when I bought my MacBook Pro back in June. Then I remembered having a 128GB SSD in my first MacBook Air. Seriously, don't get the 128GB model.

7. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    True. Push comes to shove, though, I can always swap out the m.2 SSD in my Surface for a larger one at a reasonable price. Don't think that's possible with the newer Macbooks. The price alone prohibits those Apple NVME SSDs from being worthwhile upgrades. They just finally took the last leap and soldered the storage chips right to their motherboards in their newest models.

8. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

9. Datamonger

Reputations:
    The touchbar MacBook Pros as well as the 12" Retina MacBook (basically, any model that Itchy would buy) all have soldered storage. The 13" MacBook Pro with function keys have non-soldered storage, but the form factor is more proprietary than the old Retina models.

10. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.