Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Convel

Convel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Not getting the hype among people who appreciate well-engineered tech. From the outside, the Model S looks conventional, complete with a B-pillar, and the Model X looks hideous. Not digging the interior with a built in 'iPad' for everything either, and I find the public misled by bold marketing. Ludicrous acceleration numbers are proudly quoted to make you think you're looking at a sports car, when in actuality, a Model S lacks mechanical grip, has insufficient cooling, and the 'D' models use a single inverter despite being AWD. It has a party button for quarter mile straights, sure, but it's not a performance vehicle. I'm not sure people feel as comfortable using the mode when they know it accelerates wear either. Next up is Autopilot, where public perception seems to be that of level 4 autonomous driving, when it's actually level 2. While it's evolving through software updates, we already had lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control. Marketing it as an autopilot, especially at launch in a public beta, is bold and dangerous. On a less subjective note, Teslas do not live up to the quality expectations one would have at their respective price tags:

http://insideevs.com/fortune-video-tesla-model-x-has-impressive-features-but-obvious-flaws/
    http://www.hybridcars.com/study-finds-tesla-owners-have-emotional-bond-despite-quality-complaints/

I believe in EVs, despite how their reliance on rare-earth minerals and shorter lifespan currently gives them a greater carbon footprint off the factory line than fossil fuel vehicles. I thought it was cool to see the first EV that focused more on range and comfort than being cheap in the Model S, but with heavy tax incentives around here making it a very common sight, my eagerness quickly died. Elon Musk was the right man at the right time. The EV I find the most exciting at the moment is the 2019 Porsche Mission E, which will sit a segment below the Panamera. :vbwink:

killkenny1 likes this.
  2. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Suffering from Affluenza

Reputations:
    When I joined this site, I was 14 and obsessed with J-pop. I hardly knew any Japanese though, just a few phrases that I thought sounded cool (without knowing their meaning). I'm glad I picked one that meant "all year round" given what some of the others meant :p

Perhaps, but a Tesla need not cost that much. They are becoming more affordable. The new Model 3 is supposed to start at $35,000.

radji likes this.
  3. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    As good a reason as any I suppose.

And I still consider Tesla to be in that phase where it's a vanity purchase that gets the company more attention but hasn't quite broken into the affordable range where it will really take off. The Model 3 will probably be where that tips, and I bet in the next 5 years there will be no auto manufacturer without a competitor in the same class.

4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Be Kawaii

Reputations:
    Is that some sort of sex toy? wtf is it?

radji likes this.
  5. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    A family friend put in his Model 3 order last Easter. He was given an estimated delivery date of December 2018...:vbeek:
    I do like the Model 3 is very affordable compared to the rest of their lineup, but I would hesitate to get in line for a Model 3, just to claim I drive a Tesla. I still like the look and feel of the Model S above all the others and I do find it reasonable to pay $75k for it. After all, I spend $45k on my Toyota Tacoma 11 years ago.

@ZaZ the Roadsters start at 90k. That's their top model.

Amabrush, Grandpa Wingnuts. But what you choose to use it for is none of my business...:vbrolleyes:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1071673943/amabrush-worlds-first-automatic-toothbrush

6. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  7. radji

Reputations:
    I have an electric toothbrush. It monitors and tells me when I've brushed for 2 minutes...and I hate that. Cut my brushing time down to 10 seconds? :notworthy:

Sure thing!
    [​IMG]

8. killkenny1

Reputations:
    Not you again...
    You've already tried like 5 times yet I'm still here. Can't swing an axe worth a ****...

9. radji

Reputations:
    Not true. You just keep waking up in your bed the next morning as if nothing happened.

10. killkenny1

Reputations:
    'Tis a price I have to pay for being a super hero...
    [​IMG]

radji likes this.