Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Once the preorders for the Nintendo Switch go live, I'll be getting mine in and paying for it in full because I didn't learn my lesson when I got the Wii U a month after launch and the PS4 at launch.

2. Aeny

Aeny Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Nintendo switch thing looked decent. Wonder what the batterylife is going to be like. But it's not on my to buy list. None of the consoles of this generation are.

As for what I will be buying before the end of 2017, exactly one plane ticket to paradise, then one to hell. which is which is still up in the air.

3. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

Fishon and jaybee83 like this.
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    More like:

[​IMG]

jaybee83 and Fishon like this.
  5. OverTallman

OverTallman Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm looking for this thing right now, refurbished one before and sold it, really regretted that decision :(
    [​IMG]
    Found some nice deals in eBay, I'm gonna buy two, one for me one for my sis (maybe), let's see if I can bargain with the seller and kick a few quids off for bulk purchase.

6. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    CPU, GPU, RAM, motherboard, mITX case, Windows 10, **maybe** a NVMe SSD, **maybe** a cooler if I end up getting a -K chip, and enough gas and snacks for a 260 mile round trip to the nearest Microcenter. It's about time I replaced my current desktop with a new build, and I'm curious if third time's the charm with Atlanta (been there twice, both times sucked).

On the way, I might stop by my old university and see if my student ID card still works for a cheap copy of Windows :eek:...

7. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I've gotten the two Windows 10 keys that I've purchased through Kinguin. Right around $3o each. Also, from what I've been told, you can actually still use a Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10.

8. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Huh, interesting... university copies of Windows go for a few dollars cheaper, though I'm surprised to see such prices out in the open market, assuming they are legit (I know absolutely jack all about Kinguin).

Unfortunately I won't be able to use my Windows 7 key since I plan on selling my old desktop to my sister. And that's also a university copy of 7, so maybe the upgrade rights on that aren't the same as a retail copy.

9. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Can't you go online to see what Microcenter has in stock beforehand? At least then you can go knowing what they may have. Less chance of coming home empty handed.

10. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, already have for the past two weeks or so (I'm stupidly indecisive when it comes to big purchases; took me a month of research while driving a broken car before I got the Cruze, if you remember). So far, this is what I'm thinking:

CPU: i5-6500 or maybe an i5-6600K + cooler (need to find one < 140mm height)
    GPU: GTX 1060 6GB or RX 480 8GB (whatever's on sale I suppose; more or less equal performance/efficiency)
    RAM: Whatever DDR4. Seems like Crucial's Ballistix is a sensible choice. Probably 8GB/16GB total
    Motherboard: probably an Asus Z170I Pro Gaming (has the required audio ports and WiFi, and oh my those USB ports...)
    Case: Thermaltake Suppressor F1

Already have the PSU, and I plan on reusing my Intel 320 and one of the WD 1TB drives. Sort of tempted by NVMe, especially if I get a motherboard with the slot, but $180 for the 256GB Samsung 950 Pro is crazy (though there is the Intel 600p 256GB for $90...). Decisions, decisions...

Honestly, I'll probably stay there for an hour or two anyway browsing around (never been to a Microcenter before, and it looks like a fun place for computer people). And I can always do some touristy things in the area to have more reason to travel. Though honestly, a 260 mile round trip is nothing really; to see my family, I have to drive almost as far, one-way, and I'm making ~100 mile round trips once a week after work already.