Post your FUTURE purchase.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Datamonger, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Ichinenjuu

Ichinenjuu Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can anyone recommend me an actually good blu-ray player?
    I haven't had good luck with them. The last two I've had have been terrible. The first one had an issue where Subtitles couldn't be turned off and the second one takes like 20 minutes to load a disc and sometimes freezes if I press "disc menu". They just...suck.
    Amazon reviews don't seem to be too high, but I feel like it's mainly because of these "hybrid" players with streaming, but I don't care about that since I use Roku for streaming. So what's a good one?

2. Datamonger

Datamonger Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Back in 2010, I bought a Magnavox Blu-ray player from Walmart for about $80. This was back when the prices were finally starting to go below $100, so it was a fairly good deal at the time. We still have that Blu-ray player, though it doesn't get much use anymore, and it's just your basic player with no streaming services or anything. My only complaint is how easy it is to hear the disc being read.

3. Datamonger

Reputations:
    On subject, I might pay a little visit to Best Buy on Saturday so I can get a new stereo and some new front speakers for my truck. The current stereo is some old Sony CD player that was in there when my grandfather bought the truck back in 2004. The speakers are stock.

Since the Sony that's in my truck right now still works, I'll probably end up moving it to my mom's truck since the CD player in her's doesn't work and the buttons on the unit itself don't even light up anymore.

4. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Sony. All of ours are Sony.

And stay away from Samsung. Them and their "We only support Amazon Instant Video on our newest player. Our older models use flash, so you can stick it up your a**. Cause we only want to sell you stuff".

hizzaah and Gabrielgvs like this.
  5. Gabrielgvs

Gabrielgvs Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

6. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Up until I got my Xbox One I only used Sony BR players. Two for me and 5 across family members. The older ones would sometimes freeze when you had quick boot on, so I just left it off. Haven't had any problems at all with the newer ones.

I need a new drill. The little 12V ones I got a year or two ago are handy for basic projects but they just don't cut it for some stuff. I'm trying to cut 2" holes in my desk with a hole saw for the cable grommets and it's just killing this little drill.

7. Fishon

Fishon I Will Close You

Reputations:
    I have a Sony BR. It's connected to my only non smart TV and the BRAVIA works without issues. My last VCR player was a Sony and that thing performed extremely well.

8. radji

radji Farewell, Solenya...

Reputations:
    Get a corded Makita drill. That way you always have a backup when your cordless batteries die out.

hizzaah likes this.
  9. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    For hole saws then corded are very nice. As far as I've used Makita, Dewalt, Milwaukee, ect will work equally assuming they are rated in the same power range.

If you're going for a cordless set than Makita is probably my first choice if your going all out and getting a multi-tool kit. If you're only getting the impact and the drill/hammer drill then I would go with Dewalt. Dewalt's impact drill is the second best next to Hilti in my opinion.

I myself run an 18V Dewalt set, as I said, I like the impact the best, then I picked up a angle grinder, sawsall, skill saw, impact wrench, jigsaw, and light for $40 at a yard sale.

hizzaah likes this.
  10. Datamonger

Reputations:
    Looks like I'll be paying for an asston of work on my truck.