Possible to build a portable desktop?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by sidg666, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidg666

sidg666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So, from what I read up on the remaining standards which support GPU usage, VGA allows only video signals. Does that mean If I were to use VGA instead of the other two, there would be no audio output, neither from the speakers nor any headphones I connect?

But I wouldn't have to worry about that if I get any computer, made in the present, to display it's video output, right?

Also is USB 3.0 a software, hardware or mixed standard?

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well... if you had the speakers or headphone connected to the TV/monitor, then you would get audio when it is connected with hdmi or dp. If you connect headphones to the computer itself, you would get audio even when monitor is turned off or disconnected and carried to another room...

USB3 is a new type of plug with double the connectors but it is made in a way that it works with USB2 devices too. Naturally a set of drivers is necessary to benefit from added speed increase.

sidg666 likes this.
  3. sidg666

Reputations:
    Silly me. I just realized a big advantage to the laptops on flights unless I can get a figure on the form factor for the portable desktop.

Laptops don't count towards the weight limits on flights. If you do manage to create a portable desktop with sightly larger/thicker than large 17'/19' laptop form factor, I'm not sure whether they would count towards the weight limit or not if you stuff it into a laptop bag. Not that it would be safe, mind you, what with how fragile it may be.

But would that be allowed on the flight?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  4. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    If you could convince them it's a laptop. But a 25lbs laptop? Might be hard to justify.

sidg666 likes this.
  5. sidg666

Reputations:
    Really? Geez I was hoping it would be less than 10 Kg. Well, so much for the windup. I suppose this knowledge is only going to be used far in the future, then. Don't really think I would be getting about with that kind of a machine being a student passenger and all with minscule 20 Kg weight limits.

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    Well, sounds like you need a laptop then.

And it may weigh less than 25lbs, but I wouldn't doubt it with the video card, power supply, CPU heatsinks, motherboard, RAM, chassis alone probably weighs at least 3kg.

7. sidg666

Reputations:
    Nah. My current laptop, the one I was talking about not being user serviceable and with the semi-functioning screen, is a hulking 4-5 Kg behemoth. It usually gets a pass.

However, It's as you guys said, it's unsure as to whether such a machine with anything close to gaming desktop level functionality could exist for cheap and without severe issues.

Not to mention whether they would have any objections during security checking or not, even though the weight check is done prior to the security check...

8. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    You know, this is probably the stupidest thread I've seen in NBR in a long while... You want desktop level performance, then get a desktop replacement like the P771DM... It will not be cheap, however it will do everything... Otherwise, just buy a stupid Macbook and keep a desktop at home... Your idea of a portable desktop, especially one to be taken in hand baggage is useless...

9. jaybee83

jaybee83 Biotech-Doc

Reputations:
    totally possible@OP!

get urself a clevo p870dm :D

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Kent T likes this.
  10. sidg666

Reputations:
    "We do not talk - we bludgeon one another with facts and theories gleaned from cursory readings of newspapers, magazines and digests." - Henry Miller

Oh excuse me. I'm sorry, I should have known better than to expect a discussion on a forum. And yeah this is a totally ridiculous, you know what with all the people actually trying to reason why or why it isn't and having made actual points for both rather than bashing, you bet.

You're just like that turd I was talking to earlier. I don't need some self-righteous piece of ****'s help. You can kindly GTFO. Also I'm adding you to ignore so don't bother replying.

I'll see about that. Again, I don't really have proper access to clevo, sager, msi and all those niche brands.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.