Possible to build a portable desktop?

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by sidg666, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sidg666

sidg666 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Sorry can't really get a Clevo. I'd have mentioned in my original post but since I just wanted an idea at the moment of whether this is possible and reasonable, I didn't think to add details like I'd only have access to Indian and Slovenian markets in the near future (~1 year), amongst others like budget. Again, sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I'd most probably go the hard way since I don't buy machines often, move around (internationally) relatively regularly and on top of which the previously mentioned demerits of a laptop are present. Unless you have a really convincing counter reason for the 'shoe box' as well since I really want to avoid being unable to replace damaged parts and inability to self service (which laptops require relatively frequently).

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    A mITX PC combined with something like GeChic's monitor would probably be most portable desktop grade solution I can think of.

Depending where you travel to, one option could be borrowing monitor from the destination... Who doesn't know someone with an extra monitor in the closet?

sidg666 likes this.
  3. sidg666

Reputations:
    Sweet! I didn't think laptop like monitors would be available to plug into whichever device you would like for usage. That definitely makes this deal seem all the more sweeter.

I would, however, like to know what other reputable brands I should know of or what term I should lookout for when I am looking through electronic items, if you could answer that? Just want to make sure I can procure one of these in case GeChic doesn't sell/supply to where I am.

As for monitor borrowing, I'm not sure I can make many friends quick enough wherever I go with spare monitors. And even if I manage to snag one, I'm not sure it'll be the latest in LED monitors. Does hardware still provide relatively quick measures for interface with CRTs/TFTs/1st gen LCDs?

4. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    As for monitor, it might be a solution to get a system that can output through HDMI. This way you can leave the monitor at home and hook it up to any television/monitor at the hotel (Nearly all have HDMI these days). Most hotels I've stayed in will be able to provide this, as will most places you're likely to visit. You're not guaranteed to get an awesome monitor but it would cut down on the components you have to carry.

Or just use a slim monitor - but I'd not be overly happy with carrying one in my luggage...

5. sidg666

Reputations:
    Makes sense. Don't all PC systems come pre-equippied with HDMI interfacing capabilities, though?

Also the slim monitors that you are mentioning, are they similar to the thing as KLF above mentioned with the Gechic monitors?

And are they really that fragile that I should consider against carrying them in luggage?

6. HTWingNut

HTWingNut Potato

Reputations:
    I have one of those GeChic monitor's and it is great.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

7. bennni

bennni Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I haven't seen a system that doesn't have HDMI capabilities recently - but I don't doubt they exist. I suppose you could use a USB to HDMI adapter even if the motherboard doesn't have HDMI built in - but it's something else to buy, and carry/break/lose etc...

Yes that's exactly the sort of thing that came to mind - a USB powered monitor with a very slim form factor would help portability nicely.

I have no idea about the durability and resilience of Gechic screens when you carry them in luggage. My own luggage leads a hard life and gets jostled about and dropped etc.... I'd want a hard and padded case to keep it in when carrying it in a bag, if the luggage itself didn't have a hard shell. I've managed to break a tablet screen that I was carrying in soft luggage so I always wrap mine in clothes when I carry it these days - seems to work well enough.

8. KLF

Reputations:
    I've seen usb connected travel monitors before but they have same problem as would an USB to HDMI adapter have. They completely bypass computer's own GPU so they are pretty much useless, most of the time even for video consumption. Office type productivity of course works fine.

I'm pretty sure there is other manufacturers than GeChic that makes hdmi-connected and usb powered ones, I just haven't yet come across one.

http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=18

IPS, 1080p but only 13.3" Nice looking hard shell for travel.

http://www.gechic.com/product_help_en.asp?s=14

TN, 768p, 15.6" (cheap-ish!)

I'm so used to dual monitors that having only one laptop screen on the go is annoying. So I have my own interest in this thread, in case someone comes up with other brands/models :D

bennni and sidg666 like this.
  9. sidg666

Reputations:
    When you say luggage, do you mean the hand baggage or the baggage to check in for transport via cargo plane and reacquire upon arriving at destination? I sure wouldn't treat my hand baggage roughly knowing what is inside, you know what I mean?

The whole thing with all sorts of display outputs (HDMI/VGA/DP/USB/etc.) is confusing. Could you tell me which options make use of which hardware? If you'd like to be more specific, which options utilize display hardware (i.e. dedicated GPU, etc.) to output video to the monitor? I wouldn't want games to not work or work poorly because I can't use the GPU or some other relevant hardware.

Also what's up with the whole two power cords thing in the first video?

Under what conditions will the electricity required be the full 5 V, 2 A? How much does a single cord deliver and how much will be taken during intensive use such as gaming, video processing, benchmarking or number crunching (DFTs/FFTs) activities?

I personally use headphones for privacy but just to be sure so that I don't end up with a monitor that can't use my headphones, all headphone jacks within the past five years are 3.5 mm, right? As well as all the pins of headphones made to accommodate those dimensions?

Also what's the general price for mainstream versions of these? How much are the monitors that are bought for general desktops for? $330 is very steep and if I only have $700-800 for a rig that chews out through nearly half of it.

10. KLF

Reputations:
    Under normal usage, it could be simplified that USB connection is always "external usb connected GPU". All the other options are then using internal GPU (all Intel, nVidia and AMD ones).
    Considering how big a modern GPU card is, there is no way that thumbnail sized chip inside USB3 connector can deliver similar performance. If it could, then who needed the big cards anyways..

USB2 power output isn't as high as USB3 so older computers will need two cables to supply enough power for some devices. Even some external hard drives or dvd-drives needed two. In this case it doesn't really matter what you do with the computer, monitor needs a certain amount of power to make picture on screen.

sidg666 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.