Possible mxm rx480 card on Clevo laptops

Discussion in 'Sager and Clevo' started by snakeheart, Jan 2, 2017.

1. snakeheart

snakeheart Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys. I'm from China and own a Clevo p15sma laptop.
    Currently, a factory in China is selling the mxm rx480 video card, which is built with standard MXM3.0B specifications. I know there is no official AMD Polaris cards for laptop at this moment. According to the manufacturer, a desktop rx480 gpu core was used and built into mxm form. I dont know why they built this and where did the card suppose to go. But it makes a very interesting video card upgrade options for Clevo laptops. Anyway, the price is very competitive, only 2000 rmb (roughly 300$) for a mxm version rx480.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    However, according to the users who have tested the card on their p870dma and p770dm, it would shut down after 1min power on with fans spins at 100%. However, gpu-z can recognize the card, even the temperature was sucessfully read.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The poweroff phenomenon after 1min was similar to what would happen if not mxm card was installed. It looks like the EC shutting system down for some reason. And I came across this thread. “Telling the EC not to react when it receives no signal at all...” is a possible workaround for this issue. Wondering is the solution possible for my beautiful p15sma so I can have a taste on the amd card. (Already upgrade from the 870m to 980m for about 370$)

Further information of the mxm rx480 card can be found here.(Sorry for it is in Chinese)

Stress Tech, jaybee83 and steberg like this.
  2. Meaker@Sager

Meaker@Sager Company Representative

Reputations:
    You could see if @Prema could work on it with a donation. It would need some fairly low level modding even if it is possible.

jaybee83 likes this.
  3. Prema

Prema Little BIOS Mod

Reputations:
    That means the internal thermal sensor has been build as to Dell/Alienware values and not Clevo's AMD config. That's a hardware and not vBIOS problem...

Stress Tech, dzpliu, Phoenix and 6 others like this.
  4. CaerCadarn

CaerCadarn Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    So does that mean no RX 480/E9550 alternative for older Clevo machines, right?

5. snakeheart

snakeheart Newbie

Reputations:
    Any details about the Clevo's configuration? Is it possible to have a workaround on the issue

bennyg likes this.
  6. Mangix

Mangix Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm really curious about this. For Linux purposes.

7. bennyg

bennyg Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There was a workaround for the EC shutdown issue on the MSI 1070 to get it working in Clevos.

I want it to be available for competition sake. A $300 MXM 3.0b card that performs about the same as a 1060 is good news for everyone.

rockman1216 likes this.
  8. rockman1216

rockman1216 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For 299? Where can I find these people if they get this working on barebones laptops like the Clevo P775DM1 that would be great for the DIY market, because jeez look at the prices for the GTX 1060 MSI MXM, it's pure wallet torture.

9. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I'll believe it when I see one that someone actually got running in a Clevo machine.

10. snakeheart

snakeheart Newbie

Reputations:
    Not so easy for Clevo barebones. Besides the EC shutdown issue, the EDID of the internal screen should be also writted in the vBIOS. Someone sucessfully got this card running on a 16f1 laptop with external screen (internal screen would not work due to the EDID problem). Anyhow, I have ordered this card for testing on my p15sma, and it should arrive in the next week. Hoping all things would go well

11. Tanner@XoticPC

Tanner@XoticPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Definitely post when you get it installed, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

12. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    I want a full blown AMD notebook with Rayzen and rx480 !