Portege R700 - the thin and light 13.3"

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by theawddone, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunSilent23

RunSilent23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    It seems that models with the core i5 or i7 seem to experience more noise than those with the i3. Sometimes performance comes with a price.

2. dernierrecours

dernierrecours Newbie

Reputations:
    Are you aware if the i7 processor can be replaced for a i3? My guess is that it's not that simple...

3. eljusticiero67

eljusticiero67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i had been perpetually unhappy with the color intensity of the matte display on the r700. i finally figured out a configuration on the intel graphics properties that makes the colors look a lot richer, and i thought id share:

go to intel graphics properties> color enhancement.

set the following values for these options:

brightness: 55
    contrast: 40 (lowest)
    gamma: 0.4 (lowest)
    hue: 0 (unchanged)
    saturation: 0 (unchanged)

for me, this made the colors seem a lot richer and more vibrant.

4. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    I took a look at the CPU in my R700 (26 screws to remove to get to it :eek: ). [Don't remove the heatsink unless you have some new thermal paste.]

I see no sign of a socket for the CPU which suggests that it is soldered and therefore not easily swappable.

The various bits of foam are part of Toshiba's ducted cooling system. You will see that the fan is offset from the CPU and blows cool air over the CPU and through the heatsink to the exhaust. This enables the fan to be larger (and, in theory, slower and less noisy) than if the fan was mounted on or close to the CPU.

John

PS: Or I could have looked in this R700 maintenance manual. Section 1.1 states that the CPU is BGA (which means that it is soldered).

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Here's a full photo of the inside of the R700 (this model has no WWAN card).

I also noticed while running some CPU benchmarks that performance is controlled by the fan setting. The Battery Optimised fan profile seems to drop the CPU speed by about 50% and the other profiles all seem to throttle the CPU to some extent after around 10 seconds of full CPU load (wPrime running 4 threads). However, the single-threaded SuperPi benchmark doesn't create enough heat to cause throttling.

John

6. flappo0

flappo0 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Seeing these two pictures makes me wonder, is the cpu under the heatsink or the open chip near the RAM? ( i mean the second picture)? And what is the other?

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    The CPU is under the heat sink where the X feature is. The uncovered CPU is on the first photo.

A search of the R700 maintenance manual reveals (page B3) that chip is IC1600 which is described (page B-4) as "Ibex Peak-M (chip set)". That's the code name for the south bridge chip (see Wikipedia). This may be either the
    QM57 (AMT model) or HM55 (Non-AMT model).

The south bridge is one of the key components of the Intel architecture and handles all the input/output but doesn't generate enough heat in normal usage to justify a heat sink. Perhaps the big package is to handle all the data lines that converge on the chip and it's possible that these have minimum separation requirements to avoid interference and signal degradation.

John

8. eljusticiero67

eljusticiero67 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    does anyone know if the esata port on the r700 is simply a combo port or an esatap? or are those two the same things, and im just confused.

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    I think they are the same. The Wikipedia description of eSATAp says that the port is compatible with both eSATA and USB. I've always called it a combo port but perhaps someone felt it deserved a different name.

Whatever name you want to call it, it works with this type of cable and also works with normal USB devices.

John

10. Bron5

Bron5 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I ordered the optional 9-cell battery and it makes the R-700 rock! First, I like the added "lift" in the back which makes for cooler running and no need for a cooler. It still gets very warm under full load, but most of the time (i.e web surfing or regular apps) it stays cool.

But the really great part is I am getting between 8-12+ hours of run time. Even watching HD videos really continuously I can get 6 or better. Under normal use I can go from morning to night (i.e. all day) on this baby and just plug it back in to charge overnight while I sleep. That's great. Finally, no more damn cord!

And I still have the regular 6-cell battery (that came with it initially) in reserve if needed. Using eco mode, it's conceivable I could go a couple of days of normal use on battery. Nice!

The 9-cell battery is expensive, but if you use your R-700 daily, it's definitely worth it (IMHO). Especially if you watch HD video or do other demanding tasks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.