Portege R700 - the thin and light 13.3"

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by theawddone, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmbcn

mmmbcn Newbie

Reputations:
    Cool, thanks for the headsup, I didn't even see they put up the R800s on their website. So it looks like they upgraded to the i5 processor but I couldn't see a big difference other than that? Anybody know the major differences other than processor?

2. SR45

SR45 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Big difference is Sandy Bridge. It gives longer battery life, and better integrated video from Intel.

3. quickrabbit5

quickrabbit5 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Heck, if you don't want to wait, it's had already been on display for a couple of days and is being sold at retail stores. I doubt the price would be largely different from anything ordered online, unless you find a deal of some sort.

4. adamj023

adamj023 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Looks like all retailers are in transistion right now with Sandy Bridge Notebook PC's.

Sandy Bridge models are trickling in slowly now.

5. mmmbcn

mmmbcn Newbie

Reputations:
    Nice! Hmmmm, wonder when best buy will start getting the R800s

6. boom123

boom123 Newbie

Reputations:
    I am very close of buying r700 for 470GBP-560euros. Is that a good deal? its the one with the i3. I want to ask about its 1080p capabilities...can i connect it to my 1080p lcd tv and watch flawlessly a full HD movie?
    thanks

7. dernierrecours

dernierrecours Newbie

Reputations:
    The fan is always on, running at about 44% speed. In rooms with temperatures higher than 25 degrees, the fan turns almost at max speed and the computer is heating big time. The ECO mode has no effect on noise (now the ECO button stopped working). I tried to play with settings, but nothing seem to be affected (indeed, most settings seem to do nothing at all). I updated everything through Toshiba's website (the pre-installed updater never detects the updates). A tech checked up the machine and apparently, this noisy behaviour is "normal".

This laptop is too noisy to be used comfortably. I just don't understand why people here tell they barely hear the fan: it's almost as loud as my fridge. I'm about to donate this laptop to a deaf organization... Many tips have been proposed through forums, but none returns results. So I'm asking here...

8. jaimalchohan

jaimalchohan Newbie

Reputations:
    Does anybody know if the esata port supports "Power over eSATA"?

Specifically, I've got a R700-184, but whatever model you have, the eSATA is probably going to be the same.

9. RunSilent23

RunSilent23 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I own the R705 with the core i3 processor. The fan IS always on but it is like a light whisper unless you're stressing the processor (e.g. watching HD video). As for heat, it is limited to the exhaust point. The keyboard and touchpad are cool.

If I were to guess, I bet you own an i5 or i7 model. Am I right?

10. dernierrecours

dernierrecours Newbie

Reputations:
    It's an i7. You are right, the trackpad and the keyboard are quite cool, but the bottom becomes a cooking plate and the exhaust an air dryer... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.