Portable Laptop that's my work and gaming and media consumption companion? The Age of One Laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Detacho, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When you say firmware issues, what does that mean? like BSOD problems? OR like some kind of minor annoyance?

2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I know they had a lot of problems with keyboard issues. That along with bad thermals.

3. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My goodness. Every manufacturer and model has one or two *bad* dealbreakers. Insane.

What about the MSI GS73 Stealth 014 model with the 1070 Max-Q?
    I'm not restricted to 15" models. There is a FHD 120hz TN panel vs 4K IPS 60hz. At this particular moment, I'm thinking the 4K version. There is going to be more productivity work being done than gaming stuff.

4. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    I'd rather recommend the MSI GE63 and Asus GM501GS.

For cooling you can use a reseller that'll repaste to help mitigate those issues like XoticPC, HIDEvolution, or GenTechPC.

5. win32asmguy

win32asmguy Moderator Moderator

Reputations:
    If you care about productivity more than gaming you could look at a Lenovo Thinkpad P52 or Dell Precision 7530, with the Quadro P3200. It's essentially a GTX 1060 and should do pretty good with most games.

If you don't care about thickness you could also check out the MSI GT63 Titan. It's thicker than the GS or GE but has a much more robust cooling system. If you live near a Micro Center you may be able to try one out on display, too. The keyboard deck is very solid, not mushy like the GS65. The 120hz TN panel is very nice. Great for gaming or productivity. If only more vendors offered the Chimei TN panels as an option.

mnd99 likes this.
  6. Mastermind5200

Mastermind5200 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You guys are forgetting, OP needs onsite repairs
    I do like the Mech G2, but I do agree more with the 7530 for its warranty, or maybe the Lenovo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.