Portable Laptop that's my work and gaming and media consumption companion? The Age of One Laptop?

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by Detacho, Sep 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Actually he is neither, just one happy camper.

raz8020, Spartan and DemonBob like this.
  2. Detacho

Detacho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What a beautiful laptop! Thank you for mentioning it. I love the looks of it. I wonder how the keyboard would feel being so close to you. I'm thinking it's not going to cause any extra strain?

A mechanical keyboard on a laptop? That's just nuts. The sound it would make in the office! People are gonna be like giving me looks :D How come I have never heard of this brand before? Eluktronics? Reliable?

MSI GS65 also looks gorgeous. I don't care about the fingerprint reader. Good keyboard?
    I guess it really is between GX531 vs GS65 now

3. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    The Eluktronics laptop is a TongFang. Eluk sells Clevo and now TongFang units under their own brand. TongFang has been around in Asia for a while, but is pretty new in the U.S.

Reviews are kinda few and far between, but Dave2D did review it:

The GS65 throttles from power limiting. It's also got a lot of flex and apparently not the tightest assembly.

The Asus GM501GS is the only thin and light I'm aware of that doesn't throttle. HIDEvolution sells it if you wanted to utilize their cooling mods, but from what I've heard it shouldn't super need it, so Amazon, Newegg, or where ever else you feel comfortable with could also be an option. At least price check it out, HID is good but for a price.

The GX531 is a bit of an unknown. It looks on the surface like it's similar to the GM501, but the form factor has changed from the bezel reduction, so we don't know if it'll still be well cooled.

4. Detacho

Reputations:
    I really like the GX531 and GM501GS choices. Thank you! I'm also intrigued by the TongFang offering.

5. RampantGorilla

RampantGorilla Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are quite a few reviews of this chassis, you just need to know where to find them:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Schen...-GTX-1060-Full-HD-Laptop-Review.315660.0.html

6. Galm

Reputations:
    I was more implying I didn't think many were any good. I didn't know about that second one, but both are quite small channels. Dave2D is the only large youtuber I'm aware of that's covered it, but his reviews don't go super in depth. I want a lot of temp data in reviews.

I should have linked the notebookcheck one though that's my bad so thanks.

I know a couple people that have them on Discord though, so I'm aware of thermal performance. It doesn't quite seem to hold above 35W long term on the cpu which hurts clocks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  7. B0B

B0B B.O.A.T.

Reputations:

I’ll get a crack at the G2 once Eluktronics sends me a unit for review. Expect 10-15 minutes worth of information. Should be any week now.

raz8020 and Mastermind5200 like this.
  8. Detacho

Reputations:
    After careful deliberation, I have decided to go with MSI GS65 ( if there is a reseller selling this whitebook version, I would rather buy that instead of the MSI branded one )

STOP me now if you think I must! :D

I'm going to get the 1070 Max-Q version. 1070 and FHD and 144hz makes sense to me.
    The only thing I don't know is how good the keyboard would be or how good their customer service/warranty is should the need arrive!

9. Detacho

Reputations:
    I should have listened to your wise words Galm. I just got to see a GS65 in person. It flexes a lot indeed and throttling. But in my travels, I came across a Gigabyte Aero 15. I really like the build quality. The keyboard had decent amount of travel too. I even dig the underrated looks. The model I saw had the UHD version but I would probably go for the FHD 144hz verson. Does the people of the land have a good feel about Gigabyte laptops?

10. Galm

Reputations:
    Gigabyte Aeros are a bit nicer sort of on chassis but theyre plagued by firmware issues. The GM501 and perhaps Eluktronics Mech 15 G2 seem to be two of the better thin and lights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.