Portable laptop max 14inch for coding and light gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by benzgrant, Aug 5, 2020.

1. benzgrant

benzgrant Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a laptop which should be portable, so not massive and heavy laptops, with a GOOD COOLING SYSTEM and capable of running without throttling.
    Now I have a MBP13 2020 which I'll return as soon as choose a new laptop since this one runs incredibly hot.

I have a 1500 euros budget. The laptop screen must be no more than 14 inch.

I'll be using it for coding with python, web developing, working with big photoshop files (over 100MB), running a virtual machine and visual studio professional, light gaming (league of legends).
    Plus I need to bring it with me about three times a week.

Thanks in advance!

2. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Small, powerful, doesn't thermal throttle - pick two.

kylera likes this.
  3. benzgrant

benzgrant Newbie

Reputations:
    I'd say small and doesn't thermal throttle

4. Ramzay

Ramzay Notebook Connoisseur

Reputations:
    1. ASUS G14 - small, powerful, mostly doesn't thermal throttle, would likely be a top choice
    2. IdeaPad 5 14" (if you can find them with 16GB of RAM)
    3. ThinkPad T14 with AMD Ryzen (somewhat expensive for the performance)
    4. New XPS 15 - about the size of a 14" machine, and I think they (mostly) don't thermal throttle,though CPU performance is much less than the AMD laptops

5. saturnotaku

saturnotaku Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My post was in jest. You're asking for all three, and you can only really have two.

6. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The Asus G14 is worth a look, though I'm not sure about pricing in Europe. It offers a powerful AMD Ryzen processor. If you're willing to go with a larger screen, the Asus ProArt StudioBook 15 offers pretty good cooling but it's probably out of your budget.
    You might want to fill out our FAQ so we can provide some more targeted recommendations.

Charles

7. Ed. Yang

Ed. Yang Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Being a RED Camp Boy, i would say the above makes are attractive. However...
    The Asus Zephyrus G14 should be look deeper as heat may built up quite fast due to it's slim profile.

There isn't much 14inchers out there at the moment with high-performance Ryzen.
    Mostly come with U-class low TDP CPUs.

Since OP is looking for low and light gaming gear, perhaps he can consider those makes with IceLake CPUs, or the 10th Gen INTELs with MX2/350. Such as...
    https://www.lenovo.com/ch/en/laptops/thinkpad/thinkbook-series/Lenovo-ThinkBook-14-IML/p/XXTBXTM8000
    The one with CPU reference ends with G7 should perform well on games with moderate settings. Heat generated could go cooler than U-class Ryzens.

Does one need to go FHD to game in such a small screen? Wouldn't 720p is clear enough on image qualities and won't be a stress to the system?

8. benzgrant

benzgrant Newbie

Reputations:
    So guys, right now I'm debating between try to buy again the mbp (maybe mine was faulty) and the xps 9300.
    I don't need much performance. Most of the time my cpu usage doesn't go above 20% on an old i7 6700hq.
    I have only short burts in performance required when compiling a software. Most of the time my pc is idling.
    Plus python and web development can be done also on a potato pc.
    But I need portability :(

9. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Those are significantly different requirements than you initially listed. Neither the MBP or the XPS 9300 have good cooling and both are going to throttle when running full out. Having said that, it's going to be up to you and the ecosystem you prefer. Both will be portable and should do everything you need to do based on your last post.

10. kojack

kojack Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    if you are buying right now, I would go xps. if you can wait, see what apples silicon is like.