Portable laptop for work and occasional gaming

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by sumwale, Jun 14, 2018.

1. sumwale

sumwale Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

First post here. Looking for some advice for a high-end but portable laptop primarily for work but also occasional gaming. My basic requirements:

a) Will be carried around a lot so robust and portable (max 3kg laptop and power adapter combined)
    b) RAM expandable to min 32GB and preferably to 64GB
    c) 8th gen mobile i7 processor or equivalent

Since it will be used in workplaces, should be relatively quiet.

General Questions

1) What is your budget?

$3500​

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.

India. Best choice seems to be getting from a reseller and ship to India.​

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

No.
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?

Yes.​

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Heavy memory data-store related work with some benchmarking. So RAM expandable to 64GB is highly preferable but 32GB is minimum. 8th gen i7 or equivalent processor.

Also running GPU algorithms though full benchmarking will be done in a server farm. Occasional gaming too. So the GeForce Pascal GPUs seem overall best fit.​

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?

To work, travel and pretty much anywhere I have to go (customers and all). So portable and sturdy.​

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?

Occasional gaming, nothing very high end. But workstation Quadro's could be unusable.​

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?

4+​

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?

On-line is ok.​

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.

Will install as required.​

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

No preference though 1920x1080 seems to be norm now.​

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Prefer matte.​

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

No.​

15) When are you buying this laptop?

Right away though can wait a month or so if a better model is due to be available soon.​

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?

3+ years​

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?

1TB NVMe SSD.​

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?

No.

Given the main requirements: portable, sturdy build and RAM preferably expandable to 64GB, have narrowed down the choices to:

a) MSI GT63 TITAN. This ticks nearly all boxes. Except that it is quite heavy at 3kg and likely to go to 4kg with power adapter. I am hoping this is including the HDD so after replacing with M.2 SSD, this should be down to a more manageable range. Not sure of build quality and cannot find any reviews either. If anyone has any experience with this model please let me know (esp about portability, quality, fan noise and heating). Had also considered Aorus X5 v7 but its older gen processor and the newer Aorus X5 v8 is no longer expandable to 64GB.

b) Dell Precision 7530. This is what I narrowed down to among the workstation class from Dell, HP, Lenovo. Primarily because of past experiences and 8th gen processor being available now in Dell. However, these are likely to fall woefully short for occasional gaming needs. Are the newer Quadro Pascal as in Dell Precision line likely to make them usable?

c) Razer Blade 15. This is after giving up the 64GB expandable requirement. Narrowed down to this over Aero 15x and MSI GS65 stealth. Former's "chin cam" is a deal breaker and latter's build quality seems to be below average as per on-line reviews.

Clevo and eurocom are the only others I have found having models with RAM expandable to 64GB but are way too heavy. Any models I have missed esp in gaming class?

2. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    GT 63 is the way to go really, if you cannot accept its weight then GS65 it is then.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I would go for this one:

Custom Built MSI GT63 8RG TITAN-046 15.6" w/ G-Sync nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

[​IMG]

It has an amazing 120hz/3ms screen and one of the best keyboards in the industry so typing should be a breeze on it thanks to its awesome SteelSeries Keyboard

I would configure it with the following option for the best cooling:

Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on CPU + GPU, and Fujipoly Extreme Thermal Pads on heat sensitive surfaces – BEST PERFORMANCE – installed by HIDevolution

If you email donald@hidevolution.com and tell him the laptop model that you want and your NBR Forum username, you can also get the NBR Discount

Or, you could also take a look at this one:

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL504GS-DS74 Scar Edition - 15.6" FHD 144Hz w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

or this one:

Custom Built ASUS ROG Strix GL703GM-DS74 Scar Edition - 17.3" FHD 120Hz w/ nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    sumwale likes this.
  4. sumwale

sumwale Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks. In what ways is GS65 superior to Razer Blade 15 in your opinion?

5. sumwale

sumwale Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks, nice to know about discount.

For the liquid metal, do you know if it will require a repaste an year or so down the line? That's my only hesitation in selecting it over thermal paste since repasting latter should be easier to do by self.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    In all my life of having Liquid Metal, I have never needed to repaste it, that's both with Liquid Ultra and Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut. The performance didn't deteriorate even after 1.5 years.

Mr. @Papusan can back me up on this. Are you there Poopoosan? :rolleyes:

Vasudev likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    Just cooling I might say, MSI laptops have some of the best cooling/thermal solutions in their laptops although if you're getting it from HIDevolution and upgrade the thermals to Liquid Metal you should be in safe hands as they stress test all their laptops before shipping it out to you. I like the design of the Razer Blade if you're looking for a thinner more stylish laptop BUT they use the Max-Q GPUs not the full 1070 or 1080 so you have to keep that in mind.

I like this one:

Razer Blade 15 (Mid 2018) – 15.6" FHD IPS 144Hz - i7-8750H - GTX 1070 Max-Q - 512GB SSD

Vasudev likes this.
  8. Vasudev

Vasudev Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    @sumwale Its best to stick with Gelid extreme traditional paste since Hid does pretty good job and since you're choosing H chip LM or traditional paste will see only 2-5 deg difference anyway its best to go LM if the lappie stays put and you're absolutely careful when others take ur lappie.
    Forget Dell precision and XPS line-ups. If you want Razer laptop buy it from Hid like Phoenix said.
    There are Clevo laptops too if you care about unlocked BIOS like Prema BIOS and vBIOS instead of feature limited factory BIOS. Prema BIOS is exclusively for Clevo laptops sold by Prema partners.
    Surely you must pay a hefty import fee in India. Its somewhat cheaper if you personally go to America and get the lappie in a backpack.
    Then again, with HID you are in safe hands. Take up 2 yr intl warranty and accidental protection for your Razer/MSI/Clevo laptop you order.

sumwale and Phoenix like this.
  9. Danishblunt

Danishblunt Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Quality control!

Phoenix, Vasudev and sumwale like this.
  10. sumwale

sumwale Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok, that can be a problem then with Razer because I will be shipping it outside.

Yes the import and shipping costs are hefty. But even with those added, laptops usually cost about the same as a similar machine would cost in India (if available at all). Though, I might have someone bring it here for me.

Thanks for the advice on warranty. HID looks really good with many options.

Vasudev likes this.