Portable Gaming Laptop for Constant Traveler

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by csmith7445, Jul 17, 2017.

1. csmith7445

csmith7445 Newbie

Reputations:
    1) What is your budget?
    Under $2800, flexible if necessary

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Where will you buying this notebook? You can select the flag of your country as an indicator.
    USA

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like: MSI's seem to have nice keyboards
    b. Dislike:
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed?
    Never

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
    Gaming. Work related stuff (email, travel coordinating, looking at data). Movie watching

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both?
    I travel for a living so this laptop will constantly be on the move, in and out of a bookbag, laptop bag, carried around airports, used in hotels. I'd love to have something under 5 lbs if possible so that I can comfortably fit it into a bookbag since often times I don't have a spare hand in the airport to dedicate to a laptop bag. I need to find the sweet spot between thin portability and performance, which I know is the struggle these days in gaming laptops. I have a desktop at home that I use for gaming so I'm just looking for the ability to play some games in the hotel when I have a day off.

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games?
    Rainbow 6 Siege, Doom, GTA V, Fallout, Witcher 3, etc

9) How many hours of battery life do you need?
    Not really that important as this laptop will pretty much always be on the power adapter.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK?
    Its OK as long as I can watch some youtube reviews
    11) What OS do you prefer? Windows (Windows 7 / 8), Mac OS, Linux, Chrome OS, etc.
    Win10

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? Keep in mind screen size in conjunction with resolution will play a large role in overall viewing comfort level. Everyone is different. Some like really small text, while others like their text big and easy to read. (Scroll down to see screen resolution information.)

I am honestly very conflicted on the 1080p vs 4k debate on a laptop. Everyone that I know personally who has a 4k screen loves it and I continue to hear great things from others who notice a distinct difference. Then I see quite a few people on forums who say its useless.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (Scroll down to see explanations.)

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? No. Whats under the hood is always more important.

15) When are you buying this laptop?
    1-2 months

16) How long do you want this laptop to last?
    4-5 years

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive?
    500 gb SSD and 1tb HDD minimum. I need to have the ability to bring lots of work files with me

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner?
    Optical drive not at all critical.

Also if anyone wants to be super cool and recommend a bluetooth headset to look into I'd be very appreciative.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Welcome.

4K screens get good reviews because the display panels and backlighting units used in them are typically of very good quality. The resolution is not what drives the overall image quality. I'd stick to 1080p/1440p for now; Windows scaling isn't perfect in the least, so 4K still has rendering issues with some software.

Take a look at the Gigabyte Aero 15. That's a slim and light 15.6-incher that ought to meet your needs well. You can also look at the Aorus X5 v7, which is larger, but considerably more powerful. EVGA has the SC15, but I don't have experience with that one. I did like their SC17 when I had hands-on with that, though.

Charles

3. Clamibot

Clamibot Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    In addition to Charles's suggestions above, I'd recommend Origin PC's EON15-X gaming laptop. It exceeds your weight preference (the laptop weighs 7.5 pounds) but fits all your other constraints, and could last you more than 5 years since all the parts can be upgraded. There are also a handful of drive bays for all your storage needs (2 msata SSD slots and 2 2.5 inch drive bays).

There is definitely a difference between 4K and 1080p, but the difference is a lot less drastic than companies make it seem. 1080p does not look pixelated by any means, and is VERY crisp and clear already. The biggest difference I see is that there is less aliasing in 4K than in 1080p, so games WILL look better, just not a night and day difference kind of better like is portrayed by companies pushing the display. As Charles said above, 4K panels are generally of better quality, which is the main reason why they look better.

4. sicily428

sicily428 Donuts!! :)

Reputations:
    That seems a clevo p750dm2.
    i7-7700k needs to be deledded