Portable for Minor Video Editing

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by ThatGuy888, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ThatGuy888

ThatGuy888 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    General Questions

1) What is your budget? Up to $2500

2) What size notebook would you prefer?
    a. Ultraportable; 10" - 12" screen
    c. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
    d. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
    e. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen
    3) Which country will you buying this notebook? US

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
    a. Like:
    b. Dislike: Apple
    5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? Yes

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Web development, minor video editing (mostly 1080p with minor 4k occasionally), graphics editing, video watching

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Needs to be portable enough to carry in a messenger bag or backpack

8) Will you be playing games on your notebook? (If so, please state which games or types of games?) Very unlikely

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? More is better but I don't expect much considering the power needed for video editing

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? Seeing is believing

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows only

Screen Specifics

12) What screen resolution(s) would you prefer? (See further below for explanations.) 1080p is fine. The 4k work will be with 4k clips downsized to 1080p.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen? (See further below for explanations.) Glossy, I can always add an any glare shield.

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not really. That said, I have seen some HP laptops like this are too frumpy for even me to carry.

Notebook Components

15) How much hard drive space do you need? Minimum 350 GB

Timing, Warranty and Longevity

16) When are you buying this laptop? In the next 6 months

17) How long do you expect to use this laptop? 3-4 Years

18) How long could you afford to do without your laptop if it were to fail? 2 or 3 painful weeks

19) Would you be willing to pay significantly extra for on-site warranty, or would it be acceptable to you to have to ship the laptop to the vendor for repair with perhaps a week or more outage? I will not pay extra.

Some features that are dealbreakers - backlit keyboard, touchscreen, 2-in-1 capabilities with either an included pen or optional pen

Some features that I REALLY REALLY want but could live without if necessary - LTE through AT&T, SD Card Reader, Thunderbolt 3 port

2. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The ThinkPad Yoga seems like a good fit, except the card reader.

3. ThatGuy888

ThatGuy888 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the recommendation!:) Can you think of one other that may work so I can compare and contrast?