portable DVD ROM??

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by kenny1999, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Does the cable warm up when not connected to a USB device? If so, it's conducting some heat out of the computer. I find it difficult to believe that the power going through the cable is sufficient to cause it to heat up unless there's a damaged part close to the port where it's capacity is limited. Try a different cable.

John

jeremyshaw and Convel like this.
  2. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I didn't try if the cable warmed up when not connected to a USB device,
    but when it was connected to the device and the device is working, I can feel
    some "uncomfortable" heat, which means I don't know if it's too hot or not but I hope" it shouldn't be that hot.

Thank You very much. I will purchase a LG or LiteOn portable DVD on Amazon

3. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It's best to try leaving the cable plugged in to the notebook, with the other end unplugged as John suggested. Most likely it will still warm up, showing that the port you're using is simply conducting heat from inside your notebook and that there's no abnormal power draw or resistance in the cable. This is not unheard of if the port is close to exhaust ventilation or if your notebook's case is made of metal and gets hot in this area. If, on the hand, it remains cool when no external device is connected to the cable, that's sign of an electrical flaw that could cause severe damage. No need to panic, as that's unlikely, but perform the test to be sure.

John Ratsey likes this.
  4. kenny1999

Reputations:
    I've already purchased a LG portable drive on Amazon, not yet arriving here because it's international shipment.

But I just found out in its description that "Tipo de Interface: USB 2.0. NOTE: This is a DVD writer, NOT a DVD player."

Isn't all DVD writer also a player?? Does it mean it can only write data to discs but unable to read the files or data or playback the discs??

full name of my product"------ LG Electronics GP50NB40 8X USB 2.0 Slim Portable DVD Rewriter External Drive with M-DISC Support, Black

By the way, what is M- Disc ?? I never heard of that

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    DVD writers are also DVD readers. It seems the seller has written a confusing or otherwise incorrect description for the product.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Summarized, it’s a type of DVD/BR meant for long-term archiving.

6. kenny1999

Reputations:
    what is long term archiving?

Still anybody nowadays archiving files with optical discs????

What's the advantages? keeping it for a longer time? I believe optical discs have longer lifespan than a hard drive, in my experience

Why not using portable hard drives for backup or cloud?

Thank you for answering

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    1) Exactly what it sounds like.

2) Yep. You'd probably also be surprised that people still use magnetic tape as well (which is even better, in terms of costs and longevity)

3) Advantages of M-Disc? I don't know, since I don't use it and am not interested in optical media. That said, a common problem with optical disks is disc rot, so you have to be careful when storing them for long periods of time; I'd rather have hard drives or even better, tape.

4) Optical discs and hard drives / cloud are not mutually exclusive. People can use both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.