portable DVD ROM??

Discussion in 'Desktop Hardware' started by kenny1999, Apr 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny1999

kenny1999 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I have some old CD /DVD that I want to read them , not necessarily need to write anything to a new DVD
    . Because my laptop computer has no internal DVD drive.

Any advice on what to buy? What is usually the difference between a cheaper one and a more expensive one??

Thank YOu so much !!!!

2. John Ratsey

John Ratsey Moderately inquisitive Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Is there a lot of difference in price? I would personally get a DVD burner as it's more likely to be recent technology and capable of running happily on the power from a single USB port whereas read-only drive might be old hardware and needs power from two USB ports (there used to be special cables for this). Also, one never knows when it would be useful to burn a disk. Liteon make good optical drives and may be slightly cheaper than the better known brands.

John

3. StormJumper

StormJumper Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Where are you located at this will help others give you better direction.

4. kenny1999

Reputations:
    Hello !
    Would my laptop generate enough power to the portable DVD burner to work?
    Or Do I have to pay attention to that if the portable DVD burner drives too much power through the USB ports and cause too much heat to the internal of my laptop?

I had experience working with a DVD burner it's very noisy when working, I'm worried if it would generate too much power , and thus too much heat to my laptop....

In that case, I would rather give up reading my old DVD, my laptop is more important......

5. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Modern slim DVD burners use relatively little power. The slim portable burners normally use 9.5mm drives which were originally designed for internal use in notebooks so power efficiency was a consideration. I've just run a quick test of a Liteon ES1 burner by watching battery drain while loading and playing CD. Loading or ejecting a disc causes brief power spikes of about 8W (not quite within the rating of 5V 1.5A given on the label) but the power drain was 2 to 3W once the disc was spinning. It's a distinct improvement over my first optical drive nearly 25 years ago which was a bit of lump and had a heavy power supply.

John

6. kenny1999

Reputations:
    Do you recommend this?

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electroni...24517880&sr=1-4&keywords=portable+DVD+PC&th=1

or LiteON?

7. John Ratsey

Reputations:
  8. kenny1999

Reputations:
    In a conclusion, Do you mean that , most of the portable DVD drive no matter they are only reader or burner , the power generated is well under the safe value so it will not cause heat problem to laptops? thank you ! sorry too many questions!!

9. John Ratsey

Reputations:
    Do not worry about any extra heat. The power needed by the USB device is supplied by the PSU (or battery if running on battery) and the only extra heat would be that generated by converting this power to the 5V used by the USB device. That might be around 0.5W to 1W, which is insignificant compared with the heat generated by the CPU when under load (15W upwards depending on the CPU).

John

10. kenny1999

Reputations:
    I don't have technical knowledge about physics and electric but my experience is from time to time I can feel (with my bare hand) that the USB cable (near the port end) is getting "quite" hot when a USB device is working. That's why I am concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.