Portable and Powerful Laptop for Engineering Student

Discussion in 'What Notebook Should I Buy?' started by rmazur12, May 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    MQ is socketed, HQ is soldered.. MQ chips can hold their clocks after the TDP limits are hit however HQ chips throttle like almost immediately... The difference between MQ and desktop chips isn't that much tbh.. The MQ chips are actually the best binned versions of the desktop chips (the chips are essentially the same, desktop chips have an IHS on top, the MQ don't)... Although rated for 47W, the MQ chips like the 4900/4910MQ when running at 4.2GHz would pull 70-80W, pretty close to desktop chips like the 4790K that pull 88W and run at 4.4GHz..

Galm likes this.
  2. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Haha yep thanks! I was too lazy to write that out. But yeah he's totally right^^

TomJGX likes this.
  3. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Galm17, thanks for your response. Yes, 2 Gb is more than enough for the programs that I will be using.

4. rmazur12

rmazur12 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    @TomJGX, I am not too concerned about the poor screen. The keyboard flex makes me a little worried. I am concerned about the CPU+GPU throttling. When does it throttle? Under load or web surfing? Any ways to avoid this in the UX501?

5. ChrisAtsin

ChrisAtsin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I study CS + Engineering Physics and I can promise you that you want a powerful card. It doesn't have to be Quadro if you're not using SolidWorks because Autodesk software works perfectly on GTX Cards except maybe for Maya. As soon as sophomore year, depending on your university, you might need the power. I don't even want to think about how badly something like the 4600HD would handle my school projects. Even big Matlab matrices will make you feel the difference CPU wise and the fairly lightweight Simulink will push cards. Anyone that I know with a rMBP without at least the 750M has spent some weekends at the labs.

6. Galm

Galm "Stand By, We're Analyzing The Situation!"

Reputations:
    Throttling would occur under load not something like surfing the web. It can also depend, a lot of people say HQ processors are the like the devil incarnate, but I've seen some work very well. It is a bigger risk for throttling though to be sure.

7. TomJGX

TomJGX I HATE BGA!

Reputations:
    The G501/UX501 throttles under intensive load so something like gaming or even doing something intensive like let's say video editing, photoshop or CAD... I would really avoid it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.