Porsche Taycan WORLD EXCLUSIVE genuine first drive & launch control testing 0-200kph | Fully Charged

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by hmscott, Aug 12, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Now You Know is an outstanding EV-centric channel I've watched for years, and they both own Tesla's - so now you know...

Is Taycan the 'Tesla Killer'? | In Depth

Now You Know
    Published on Sep 13, 2019
    On today's episode of "In Depth" Zac & Jesse talk the Porsche Taycan and whether or not it is truly a "Tesla Killer".

I hear you, and I think Porsche has painted themselves into that high priced EV corner at a time when regular people coming around to EV's aren't interested in blowing a lot of cash on a functional EV purchase especially when it's not super special in the way the pricing demands.

There may be die hard Porsche supporters with deep pockets that will buy a few thousand Taycan Turbo / Turbo S's but I don't think it has the long legs that will repay Porsche's huge $7B+ investment in that new factory and other assets created to produce the Taycan.

And, if Porsche keeps trying to sell EV's at the high end - along with the dozen or so other long time marque's seem to think high end EV's will work for them too - they'll all be chasing after the same few with more cash than discernment and most of the makes will be left with acres of unsold rolling stock.

I think the winners will be the ones that can sell to a ready and willing mass audience, like Henry Ford figured out in a similarly turning market for early gasoline cars and capitalized on so efficiently.

There were lots of wannabe makers of cars, some long established firms having sold other transportation products, and they were all chasing the same affluent customer because it was easy money - high margins on fewer cars made.

When the mass populace was ready to purchase a car Henry Ford had the right functionality at an affordable price and the vast majority of cars sold were not high end luxury models.

I think we are at that time again. The fascination with EV speed is going to give way to EV functional practicality as the masses come to the realization that buying an EV is good for them and everyone else in the world.

When the reality of purchasing an EV as their next car hits if there is an affordable EV customers will buy that rather than overextend themselves on a luxary EV. The expensive EV's will sit quietly waiting for buyers while the functionally appealing affordable EV's will sell.

And, I think the true Porsche enthusiast wants a light fast track car and the Taycan isn't light and I see the Taycan wallowing in the corners like the Tesla S - the big battery is too heavy for track racing.

VW owns Porsche, and Porsche has a nice new plant that can be configured to make affordable EV's, maybe they'll both recognize the opportunity and start producing EV's everyone can afford.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
    JRE84 and Papusan like this.
  2. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Things are heating up! According to bystanders, Tesla's Plaid prototype lapped the Nürburgring in 7:23 — nearly 20 seconds faster than the Taycan Turbo S! Sure, the verdict's still out on how close to production the prototype is, but frankly, virtually no record is set with a completely stock car. A minimum of a roll cage and a racing seat for driver's safety is customary, which the Taycan had. What a massively impressive result for a road-legal 4-door EV!

https://www.motor1.com/news/371339/tesla-model-s-nurburgring/

EDIT: They Taycan's lap time was set with the Turbo, but that shouldn't matter much as the Turbo S has the same power figures outside of its 2.5-second boost window.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Papusan and hmscott like this.
  3. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's awesome, and it must have been a wild ride.

The test runs up to the timed run showed a lot of driver vs track variance while getting tuned in to the course.

The actual car mods may be pre-cursor to a real model next year, and wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't called the "Nürburgring" Edition, with or without the roll-cage. :)

Papusan and Convel like this.
  4. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yes, they definitely didn't come up with the new powertrain and triple-motor setup on the spot. It even ran prototype tyres. Elon Musk has confirmed we'll see a new, more expensive Model S late next year. There's even talk that the prototype could preview tech from the upcoming Roadster. Exciting times for Tesla and fast EVs!

Papusan and hmscott like this.
  5. hmscott

Reputations:
    Jalopnik's excellent and extensive coverage out today:

Here's What Happened With Tesla's Ambitious First Attempt At The Nürburgring
    Robb Holland, Today 12:03pm
    https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happened-with-teslas-ambitious-first-attempt-1838221405

"...Tesla’s ability to get this effort flying straight out of the box, thousands of miles away from its home base and on very short notice, is nothing short of phenomenal. And the team’s efforts should be applauded. They have clearly hired a very smart, motivated group of engineers that are at the top of their game, and despite my earlier skepticism and that breakdown, I’m happy to eat a little humble pie over what I’ve seen so far.

A Tesla spokesperson confirmed what a company tweet said, that the automaker is done at the ’Ring for a while and may head back next month. So let’s take a look at what actually happened and how Tesla has made this effort work."

"...Due to the fact the the public is not allowed into the T13 area during any industry session the lap times were taken from the first corner after the start (Nordkehre, or North Corner).

Because our guy with the watch can’t see over the hill they have to guesstimate when the car finishes by listening to when it goes over the curbs just before the finish line. So please take that time with a grain of salt. We will have to wait until Tesla releases the official times to confirm.

Tesla claims that when it returns next month, it could get closer to seven minutes and five seconds. But the automaker’s released no video or data or anything to back this up, so for now, it’s just a claim on Twitter:

"Data from our track tests indicates that Model S Plaid can achieve 7:20 at the Nürburgring. With some improvements, 7:05 may be possible when..."

A few details about the runs themselves. First, the Model S testers only completed one lap each run before they stopped. We don’t believe this is due to any overheating issues (that we know of, yet) but it’s just done to recharge. With the amount of power that these cars are putting out one lap before recharge is hardly surprising. For comparison, I could just about get four laps of the Nordschleife out of a tuned 400 horsepower Ford Focus RS. The P100D+’s output isn’t known, but it’s likely significantly more than that.

Once recharged both cars seem to be capable of running five or six laps a day, which is quite impressive and not that far off ICE cars at this performance level..."

This video was included / linked in the article, kinda boring except for the "daytime" fireworks display starting at 11:11...

Industry-Pool Prototype / Erlkönige 18.09.2019 Nürburgring Nordschleife
    TALEA Media
    Published on Sep 18, 2019
    Industry-Pool Prototype / Erlkönige 18.09.2019 Nürburgring Nordschleife

Jandy Aditya Pratisto 1 day ago
    " 0:54 I love how they capture a Taycan slowly pass the broken Tesla."

"...Now, about that breakdown. I guess my take would just be that the Nürburgring is very difficult, like I said in my earlier story. As good as Tesla has been and as impressed with all of their engineers as I am, this is why you test cars quietly before trying to push on them for a very public lap record.

So where does that leave us? Well, we have an unofficial lap time from Porsche in the Taycan—and not the faster Turbo S but the lesser Turbo. (Porsche probably left some room to try and go even quicker next time.) And we have an also unofficial, hand-timed lap time from the stripped out Model S P100D+ prototype, a car with tech that Musk says will be available sometime late next year. Hopefully the company can deliver without any characteristic delays."

Lots more details in that very long article with links to other supporting articles.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    Papusan likes this.
  6. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Autocar has now reviewed the Taycan:

hmscott and Papusan like this.
  7. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Test of Porsche Taycan Turbo S elbil24.no |
    Test of Porsche Taycan on Norwegian Roads - a real electric sports car
    Join us for the first test drive of the new Taycan - and that in Norway.

Turbo S: Price from 1,314,000 Nok ~ 176,004.00 US Dollar (Norwegian price).

Ashtrix, hmscott and Convel like this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Nice price, but you'll want to add the inside door handles, roll cage, and a crap load of AA's. ;)

Your pricing is for the non-S version. The Turbo S starts at $185,000 here, or about 1,679,245.00 Nok there.

Can you imagine that price? Here the starting price for the Taycan Turbo (non-S) is $150,900 and your starting price is $176,000!! That's the starting price... nicely configured is about $210k, so your nicely configured Turbo (not Turbo S) would be about $245,000 or 2,223,865.00 Nok!!

Maybe buy 2?, so you can drive one while the other one is charging... ;)

I hope Porsche sells out the full 30,000 units pre-sold, that's gonna fund the design and production for the next price level down in Porsche Electric cars, eventually they'll hit Telsa Model 3 pricing, and that would be nicest.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Ashtrix and Papusan like this.
  9. Convel

Convel Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yep, the Turbo S starts at 1.608.900 NOK ($176 215) here in Norway, while the Turbo starts at 1.324.900 NOK. For the additional money, you get carbon ceramic brakes, an additional inverter for faster acceleration, and carbon trim exterior details, among other minor things.
    You managed to add 898 965 NOK / $98 473 worth of extras for the Turbo? o_O Care to share a link to your configuration? Here are two of mine, both of which I consider reasonably high-end and a notch above what most prospective customers would end up spending:

http://porsche-code.com/PLG5YUX4
    http://porsche-code.com/PLCFCJD5

I ended up with 311.900 NOK / $34 183 and 355.100 NOK / $38 917 in extras respectively. Yes, with that kind of money, you're well on your way to buying a Model 3, but such is the world of bespoke luxury vehicles.
    I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Look at the current Macan range and you'll get a hunch for how low they're willing to go. Porsche is in the business of making money, not saving the world or gaining mass adoption. ;)

hmscott likes this.
  10. hmscott

Reputations:
    NowYouKnow gets to pile it on the TAY-can with Tesla's 22 second "win" over the Porsch at Nurburging recently, starting at 00:30...:cool:

Daimler Stops Making Gas Cars? - TTN Bite Sized!
    Now You Know
    Published on Sep 24, 2019
    Welcome to episode 159 of Tesla Time News Bite Sized!!!! Stay tuned for Tesla Time News every Monday!

Here's another FullyCharged (paid?) "review" of Porsche's Taycan. To their credit they did a good job of being honest, showing the lack of hitting 275kw in real world charging.

On a 350kW Ionity Rapid charger the Taycan Turbo didn't go over 192kW charging in normal use 25% up and starting at a higher % is even lower kW while topping off (they got a full lunch out of the stop), and the range isn't the advertised and neither is the efficiency - though they could have used the same units in comparisons instead of making the viewer convert for comparison.

1st charging starts at 08:40 @ 148kW to start. 2nd charging starts at 20:15 @ 192kW, then down to 147kW, then down to 107kW at 74% when they got tired of waiting and gave up charging. Both times it appears it took a lot longer than they expected it to take to charge.

The good news is that maybe Porsche is listening, going to provide a <$100k (pound) version in 2019 + a 2020 even lower spec model - if it's around $75k Tesla's gonna need to step up their game - drop pricing or drop a new cheaper model of their premium 4 door family car.

The not good is Porsche is still pushing amazing sounding specs while not basing them on real world conditions. In this video we see the real results, at least I believe them more than the slick marketing blurbs from Porsche.

Freezing your butt off while charging on a longer trip sucks @ 21:05. :)

Porsche Taycan Turbo Rapid Charge Road Trip | Fully Charged
    fullychargedshow
    Published on Sep 26, 2019
    Jonny has already experienced the Porsche Taycan launch control ability (0-62 in 2.8 for the Turbo S using over-boost function) in a previous world exclusive Fully Charged episode, but this film is the first road drive of the finished car.

I didn't take the time to do a configuration run myself, I'm quoting others (reviewers in the US) that I've heard that have gotten $200-$214k+ when configuring a Taycan Turbo S. The Turbo would be much less.

As a quick math, $185k (Turbo S) + 39K (extra's for one of your configs) = $224k, right above what I have heard for the Turbo S in the US.

I would imagine there is a wide range of possible configurations and if I get the time / energy to spend playing with the configurator I'll post it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019