Poor Performance - Low FPS - 6990M CF (Need help please!!!)

Discussion in 'Alienware 18 and M18x' started by Magical Hob0, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magical Hob0

Magical Hob0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I had this laptop for about a year. And having some big major gaming issues... I am running games barely at 25-30FPS which clearly I should be running at hire , I do now have the AMD 12.11 Beta driver install, and when I move my windows boxes there are tracers that follow... I am new to this... please speak easily to me..
    My stats >

Intel Core i7-2760QM CPU @ 2.40GHz
    Ram = 16.0 GB
    64bit Windows 7
    two AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

2. juliant

juliant Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You could try to save your stuff (personal pictures, files, documents etc.), from the computer on an external hard drive and reinstall your system from the alienware respawn. In case you do not know what alienware respawn is, this is a recovery system (software) installed by alienware / dell for your system and shipped with your machine; this 'software' it helps you restore your system to the manufacturer default. Meaning? Once you do the restore, your system will look exactly as the day you have turned the system on for the first time :)

This is what I recommend. Maybe someone else has a different opinion...

3. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Undefiled BGA-Hating Elitist

Reputations:
    I suspect there is a possibility your video cards are overheating because the fans and heat sink radiators are full of dust and lint. If you have owned it a year and have never done a proper cleaning, you are way past due for that anyway. That would be the first thing I would check. You did not mention anything about temperatures, so I am assuming you have not checked them. This is probably the leading cause of poor performance on computers. It tends to creep up on you until it gets to the point of becoming noticeable.

Take the bottom cover off (4 screws, very easy), take the screws out of each fan lift them out of the way (no need to disconnect the wires) and use compressed air or a vacuum cleaner to remove all the crud from the fan blades and heat sink radiator fins. If the crud is stuck on or crusty, you can use an old toothbrush or a clean paint brush to loosen up the junk. Be sure to hold the fans stationary so they do not spin up at high RPM as you are cleaning them, as this can damage the fans. This is a very easy operation and your first time probably will not take more than 10 minutes. If you want instructions, here is a link to the Service Manual. It will give you very simple, easy steps to follow... although it is as simple and uncomplicated as I explained.

If that does not help, then what Julian suggested would be a next step. A clean Windows installation or a "Respawn" operation always breathes new life into a system that has seen a lot of use.

4. LannBot

LannBot Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I agree with Mr. Fox, I was suspecting the cards are throttling badly due to heat. It's very easy to clean out the fins and fans, try that first to eliminate that from the list of possible issues.

Please let us know the results!

5. Magical Hob0

Magical Hob0 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you, I have been meaning to clean out my lap top but I never have. I couldn't find how to clean the system properly in the online manual. Can you redirect me please? What tools will I need? A m8 of mine said I should get canned air and not compressed air.
    To be blunt I never done this before so a newb guide would be very helpful.
    Thanks again.

and btw in GPU TechPowerUp
    my stats >
    GPU Core Clock - 100.0MHz
    GPU Memory Clock - 150.0 MHz
    GPU Temp - 57.0 C
    Fan Speed % - 30%
    Fan Speed RPM - 300 rpm
    GPU LOAD - 0%
    GPU Temp #1 - 57.5 C
    GPU Temp #2 - 59.0C
    GPU Temp #3 - 55.5 C
    VDDC- 0.900 V

are these normal? isthere a way to test and improve these?

6. locust76

locust76 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You'll only need a small screwdriver, like the kind used on glasses. If you have a jeweller's screwdriver set, those will work.

I wasn't aware that there was a difference between canned air and compressed air, except if you mean that canned air is simply an empty can. Compressed air works fine.

7. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    One of the leading causes of poor performance with computers, especially high performance gaming systems, is the accumulation of dust and lint in the fans and heat sink radiators. A small amount of crud can cause huge problems with overheating and adversely affect performance in a dramatic way. Because their cooling systems are not as robust, the effect on laptops can be even more dramatic.

The instructions in the Service Manual are for part removal, not "cleaning" and you simply follow the instructions for removing the appropriate parts. Below (inside of the spoiler) are the steps directly from the service manual. You can skip step 4 for the processor and video card fans, as there is no need to unplug the wiring for the fans. This is a fast and simple procedure.

And, if you have a vacuum cleaner, there is no need to run out and buy a can of compressed air. If you are a noob at working on computers, ground yourself to the chassis of the computer before touching any components inside of it. This will discharge static electricity. Simply touch a screw head or the metal connectors for the system battery. Don't let this scare you. It is a very simple task and you will be amazed at how easy it was. (I have been working on computers 25 years and have never damaged a part by static discharge, but I am always careful about grounding myself to the chassis before I start handling things on the interior.)

Be sure to use a screwdriver that has a tip that fits snugly into the Philips screw. If you use one that is too small it may strip the screw head. You can buy a jewelers screwdriver set for next to nothing at common places like Walmart, even Walgreens Drugstores. It is normally the largest screwdriver in the jewelers screwdriver set that fits the screws best.

Note: the images below are hyperlinked to the corresponding pages of the Service Manual.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Those GPU temps are higher than ideal for your system being idle, but what really matters is load temps. So, those numbers do not mean a lot while your system is not under load.

8. Magical Hob0

Magical Hob0 Newbie

Reputations:
    So cleaning the fans didn't work.... I am still running games barely at 30fps when it should b around 60-70fps(when playn there is a line going threw the screen almost like chopping.. not sure how to describe it but is rather annoying)... i paid 2.5k for this lap top.... what is wrong with it??
    HELP SOS pweez
    i couldnt completely clean it since they dont sell jewelry type screwdrivers where i live(when my dad comes to visit he is bringing me some from USA)... but there wasnt that much dirt and i got 90% of it out of it..

9. aziraphaleUK

aziraphaleUK Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This sounds like the problem I had with m18x when I first got it.

Try playing with the powerplay setting in CCC, with powerplay enabled I get 60-70fps or better, disabled it drops to 20-30fps. The settings in powerplay on my machine min/max ones make no difference if enabled or disabled, just enabling powerplay works for me. May be worth a try.

10. Mr. Fox

Reputations:
    It could be AMD Powerplay malfunctioning. That is not uncommon, especially on 6970M and 6990M CF.

If you did not take it apart, you did not get it clean. Maybe moved some of the stuff around, but it will end up clogging the heat sink radiators all over again. This could still be your problem. There is no way to short cut the cleaning, and it will absolutely cripple the performance of your machine if it needs it.

What are your GPU load temps?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.