Pontiac's best vehicle- the G8 - will live on as a Chevy!

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I live in a gated, mountain golf community (there's a lake & 'yacht' club to make it sound uppity, but all I've ever seen is a few rowboats and an occasional canoe :confused2: ). There are miles and miles of curvy roads with some very steep hills and at least one or two good snow and ice storms per winter.

We have our own fire department and police precinct (it's 20 miles to the nearest fire house and police station if we didn't). In 2004, they somehow came up with the money to buy two new Volvo wagons- a V70 2.5T AWD (fire dept) and, get this, a V70 R! The latter was the real puzzler, especially since the speed limit is no more than 40mph on any road!? Local residents were not happy when they learned that the two cost over $75k!

Now they're only allowed to buy one of two cars- Subaru Forester or Subaru Legacy Wagon (non-turbo)....all-wheel-drive they need, a 300hp turbocharged engine they don't! Nor do they need an entry-level luxury vehicle to transport themselves around the community....it really ticks off the soccer moms when the public servants drive nicer Volvo wagons than they do! :eek:

Disclaimer-
    lest you think I'm a snob or that I'm wealthy, my grandfather and uncle were in the grading and hauling business. They were hired in the early 70's to work on the construction of the dam that created the lake that the community is named after (Lake Arrowhead)- it's also the largest, man-made, privately owned lake in Georgia...but I digress even further. Long story short, they bought about 90 acres of what was then wilderness and the rest, as they say, is history...we're descendants of "the help"! :notworthy:

2. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Cv? Please translate....

3. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Crown Vic, aka Crown Victoria.

4. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Gotcha! Remember when it was called the LTD Crown Victoria? My grandmother still has hers- '91 model, the last year they made them. Like driving a parade float!

5. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Yup; I remember what they looked like in the 80s (got pulled over by several when I first got my license).:D

6. umass

umass Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Next generation of Police Cruisers

7. allfiredup

Reputations:
    From the time they started importing the Pontiac GTO from Australia (Holden Monaro) in 2004, I've wondered how much money they make (if any) on them? The G8's arrival in the U.S. market couldn't have been at a worse time! First with $4-5/gallon gas and then the constant decline of auto sales across the board....and the third blow- pulling the plug on Pontiac!

I actually feel a little sorry for GM on this one. The G8 is arguably one of the BEST cars they've ever sold in the U.S. It's got looks, performance, great build quality, rear wheel drive, did I mention looks?....and it got shafted by crappy timing and a global economic downturn!

I keep thinking about trading in my '06 Mazda3 on a new Mazda ('10 Mazda3 or '09 Mazda6). But I went by the Pontiac dealership this afternoon (closed) and spent some time scrutinizing the four they had on the lot. Now I'm thinking I should bide my time and wait for Pontiac to officially get the Dr. Kevorkian treatment....when G8 values will be at their lowest!

8. narsnail

narsnail Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    Yuck, it was so sexy before, WHYYY, Chevy just ruined a perfectly good-looking vehicle.

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    MY sentiments exactly :)

10. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    And its DENIED:
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.