Pontiac's best vehicle- the G8 - will live on as a Chevy!

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shyster1

Shyster1 Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    There actually was a U.S. analogue of the Aussie Ute - the Chevy El Camino and the Ford Ranchero. The Ranchero inspired the El Camino, and was in turn inspired by the original ute designed by none other than Ford Australia's lone designer Lew Bandt. So, the Aussies should take quite a lot of pride in the ute.

2. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No, the Falcons are powered by a several variations of a 4.0L I-6 from the Aussie-only 'Barra' engine family (their version of Duratec, kinda). The exception is the top-of-the-line XR8 which is has a 5.4L V8 that is called the "BOSS" and is almost certainly a variant of the 5.4L used here in Mustangs and F150s. The standard issue 4.0L Barra makes 261hp, but they also have a turbocharged version that ups it to 362hp! The 4.0L turbo is faster than the 5.4L V8, despite the V8 (XR8) being the top model.

3. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Add that to the list Aussie contributions to civilization-

Somewhere after Olivia Newton-John and koalas...:p

4. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Got something agin' Aussies?

5. Clutch

Clutch cute and cuddly boys

Reputations:
    RX8 as a cop car? That seems weird.

I know in some parts of Colorado they had modded 3000GTs.

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    when i think caprice, i feel like barfing.

nothin new...the good ol US of A always gets the watered down version of everything.

7. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Wow, so essntially the egines are almost exactly like the G8 V6 and the G8 GT? Cool.

8. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Quite the contrary, I LOVE AUSSIES!

I can think of quite a few other Aussie contributions, in human form-

Mr. Nicole Kidman (aka- Keith Urban)
    Nicole Kidman
    Russell Crowe
    Rachel Griffiths
    Hugh Jackman
    Poppy Montgomery
    Cate Blanchett
    Mrs. Ellen Degeneres (Portia de Rossi, whose birth name was Amanda Rogers)

Now Canadians, what have they bequeathed to the world?

Anne Murray, kd lang, Shania Twain.....and they don't have the sexy Aussie accent either! (jk, I actually love to vacation in Toronto)

9. allfiredup

Reputations:
    Yeah, since it's the Holden Commodore's direct competitor, they have competitive powertrains.

Even before GM brought over the Holden Monaro (as the Pontiac GTO) in 2004, there were often rumors of Ford exporting the Falcon to the U.S. From 2001 thru 2005, Ford had some major gaps in their sedan lineup-

Focus
    Taurus
    Crown Victoria

The Taurus was the automotive equivalent of dry toast...even the Crown Vic was easier on the eyes and more entertaining to drive, especially in "LX Sport" trim-

[​IMG]

Basically, they had a subcompact (Focus) and a full-size that appealed typically to older customers (Crown Vic)....and a mid-size that struck dread in the heart of every business traveler at the rental counter! :eek: The Falcon would've been a much needed shot of adrenaline to their product line....but they had SUV tunnel vision! So we lost out...

Relief finally came with the introduction of the 2006 Ford Fusion! They actually introduced a very good large car in 2005 (Five Hundred) but it was doomed to fail because the sole engine was a 3.0L 203hp V6 (from the Taurus). It's two domestic rivals, the Buick Lacrosse and Chrysler 300, had 240hp and 250hp, respectively. And competitors from Hyundai, Toyota and Nissan had 263-268hp under the hood (and were lighter). Long story short- it looked good (in my opinion), the interior was the best-looking that Ford had designed up to that point, and it rode and handled well for its size....but it could hardly get out of its own way unless you kept it floored most of the time! :eek: :confused:

Thankfully, Ford is releasing a truly world-class flagship due on the lots any day now....if only they weren't calling it the Taurus! W-T-F?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Shyster1

Reputations:
    Cv, Ftw!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.