Pontiac's best vehicle- the G8 - will live on as a Chevy!

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by allfiredup, Jul 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allfiredup

allfiredup Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    No one will miss most of the cars that will die with the Pontiac brand. But there is one vehicle that many auto enthusiasts (myself included) hated to lose- the Pontiac G8! Built by GM's Australian subsidiary, Holden, it is unique from all other GM products sold in North America. It's also the only rear wheel drive sedan GM has outside of Cadillac.

It appears that the G8 will continue to be imported from Holden's South Australia factory and sold as the Chevrolet Caprice. Personally, I don't think the name does the car justice. When I think of the Caprice, I think of that "whale-like' rounded blob of a car from the early 90's. That car handled like a parade float, while the G8 can hang with BMWs...it deserves a better name.

But at least it's not being axed altogether!

[​IMG]

2. X2P

X2P COOLING | NBR Super Mod

Reputations:
    YES THANK YOU CHEVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Its good to see it live on! I dont like the name either :p but it lives

3. Micaiah

Micaiah Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I would've thought the G8 being renamed as an Impala SS. Definitely the only four door they have worthy of carrying the nameplate once more.

4. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    Despite reports it was going to die, anyone who knows the industry and the car itself had to know it was going to live. Being that its already built for austrailia the cost of making an american model is not high and in fact the platform in that respect is more suited to building a car to help save gm then coming up with something new, which would cost more no matter how it was done.

5. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    My god i read this ealier and it's sad.

WHY ON EARTH IS IT SO UGLY? MAN! The G8 was the best looking vehicle GM/Pontiac had, then they went and made into .....that

Has anyone seen the rear end? This thing has the same rear as an impala. I would have bought a G8 but not this man.

6. allfiredup

Reputations:
    CLARIFICATION-

The Pontiac G8 is based on the Holden Commodore. The Holden is also sold in the Middle East and South Africa as the Chevrolet Lumina.

In Australia, there is also a longer-wheelbase version of the Commodore know as the Holden Caprice. That car is also sold as the Chevrolet Caprice in the Middle East.

The photo above is the Caprice, which is the long wheelbase model. The U.S.-spec Caprice is reportedly going to be based on the same shorter wheelbase as the Pontiac G8! So the car we see here in the States may not look like the one above!

7. allfiredup

Reputations:
    I agree with you, but the obvious problem is that they already have an Impala and Impala SS! I wouldn't be surprised to see the Impala SS dropped once the Caprice hits Chevy dealers.

I think "Bel Air" would have been a much better name to dust off and put back into use!

8. RainMotorsports

RainMotorsports Formerly ClutchX2

Reputations:
    I think your about to be killed by a bunch of angry seniors over that statement. Though no worse then the bel air concept vehicle that wasnt even a car.

There was a bel air car concept had a tailight that lifted for fuel access:
    [​IMG]

9. allfiredup

Reputations:
    What about calling it the Chevelle?

Other than that, retired model names are scant- Citation, Celebrity, Corsica, Lumina...names that would insult even a crappy new model, but would disgrace the G8!

What about the Chevrolet Vectra? The Saturn Aura and Chevy Malibu are based on a European car called the Opel/Vauxhall Vectra. In South America, it's sold as the Chevy Vectra. Better than Caprice...

It could be worse, they sell it as the Buick Park Avenue in China!:eek2:

10. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    whew....lets just hope the caprice here wont look anything like that. I would LOVE to see the same Pontiac G8 Styling in the chevy with a chevy badge. Thats ALL GM, no need to mess up a great design.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.