POLL: Your drive wheels of choice

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by MGS2392, Dec 13, 2011.

?

How do you like your vehicle to be propelled

1. Front Wheel Drive

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Rear Wheel Drive

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Four Wheel Drive

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. All Wheel Drive

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. [More than 4 Wheels]

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. [Fewer than 4 Wheels]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Too 1337 for wheels

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qing Dao

Qing Dao Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm not comparing your friends' civic, mr2, and evo, I'm comparing the physics of the different platforms. Relatively speaking, what I said is 100% true.

Also what do you mean by: "It's also easy to powerslide in powerful FWD cars?" That doesn't make much sense to me. Sure you can induce oversteer in a FWD car, if that is what you mean, but I don't see how a powerslide is possible unless you mean a slide of the extreme understeering kind.

2. KLF

KLF NBR Super Modernator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Maybe on reverse gear? :p

3. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    what u are describing in your type r comparison is a "nimble" FWD car. it has the feeling of being faster than it really is because of the ability to throw the car around the track like a toy. a "nimble" FWD car cannot compare to a "fast" RWD car. again, FWD is just gimped my physics. just read about the different things weight transfer does to the FWD platform. NOWHERE am i saying that FWD is slow. i'm saying that it'll always be slower than a comparable RWD car.

the MR2 comparison is kind of mute because the MR2 is a mid-engined vehicle. MR-vehicles are NOT made for an inexperience driver because they behave so erratically when pushed to the limits, whether on purpose or in case of an accident.

as for your AWD comment...i have no idea what u'r trying to imply. last time i checked...i WANT to be able to go full throttle through every turn, but u can't. the reason why AWD cars are able to put more power to the ground, during a turn, is cuz of the AWD traction.

p.s. - pulling the e-brake during a turn does not equal a power slide :p

4. H.A.L. 9000

H.A.L. 9000 Occam's Chainsaw

Reputations:
    RWD, or an uneven mix of AWD that's biased towards RWD.

I'm never in any type of winter weather driving, so RWD down here really is the best. Plus torque steer on RWD is non-existent, unlike my previous FWD vehicles like the Nissan Maxima. Love the Maxima, but it has torque steer like it's nobody's business.

5. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    That's one issue I occasionally have to deal with in the Altima as well. It doesn't feel bad to me, but I know it's there and (iirc) has a left bias.

I think one advantage FWD could have over RWD (besides snow) is in the rain. With the engine weight, power, and steering all handled by the same wheels, I can imagine that FWD would be the safer option (ignoring AWD, etc.).

6. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Yes, you are correct. I used to always notice that unless the pavement were freshly laid or I had z-rated tires, my BMW 330 used to always have trouble in the rain. I would start off from a stop light and I would fish tail a bit. TCS always kicked in, but it's unnerving to know you have little to no positive traction in traffic. And the BMW had an almost 50/50 weight distribution with the fuel tank at capacity.

My LS has never shown any issue with wet weather. I've actually never seen TCS activate. Probably has to do with the weight of the car..lol. It's like a barge. :rolleyes:

7. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    When I was driving back home from the bank, I noticed that the Mustang ahead of me was driving at an angle (?) for a bit, but then I realized that he was spinning his tires and wasn't getting any traction when the light turned green (there was a light rain today that brought all the oil up to the road surface).

8. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    My 240SX with super light throttle can lose traction in the rain. Probably time to do that manual swap..

9. hizzaah

hizzaah Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I know the feeling.. My 86 mustang is a pain to drive in the rain sometimes. It's a hatchback w/ t-tops so it's already pretty light. do a h/c/i build, 3.73's, and through some off road long tubes on it and your best bet is pulling from a stop in 3rd gear lol

10. H.A.L. 9000

Reputations:
    Ok, who said too 'leet for wheelz?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.