POLL: Your drive wheels of choice

Discussion in 'Motorized Vehicles' started by MGS2392, Dec 13, 2011.

?

How do you like your vehicle to be propelled

1. Front Wheel Drive

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Rear Wheel Drive

21 vote(s)
    46.7%
  3. Four Wheel Drive

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. All Wheel Drive

10 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. [More than 4 Wheels]

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. [Fewer than 4 Wheels]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Too 1337 for wheels

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarhead

Jarhead 恋の♡アカサタナ

Reputations:
    I've driven RWD a handful of times (BMW 550i, iirc). My car is FWD and I haven't had a problem with it yet, and the family's car feels great (Avalon, also FWD). Yet again, I havent been driving for very long (2.5yr), so I suppose I can't form much of an opinion on this topic?

For normal commuter driving in an area that rarely sees snow, I don't know how one system can be superior to another. They all drive the same to me (under normal conditions. I don't race, or off-road, or anything special).

2. jooooeee

jooooeee Stealth in disguise

Reputations:
    I will take selective RWD + 4WD with locking front and rear diff, that should get you anywhere you need to go. A little extra traction goes a long way.

It is soooo much fun to watch little cars spinning their tires up an icy hill, while you easily cruse right by.

3. PatchySan

PatchySan Om Noms Kit Kat

Reputations:
    Made some amendments and yes it had happen in a couple winters from where I lived.

4. Tsunade_Hime

Tsunade_Hime such bacon. wow

Reputations:
    Haha that reminds me 3+ years ago I was driving out for a drug test for my new job and my little Honda CR-V was climbing an icy hill. At the very top there was a poor BMW 740iL stuck at the very top. Of course I helped out by driving past him and continuing with my journey..

5. Syndrome

Syndrome Torque Matters

Reputations:
    Sometimes that salt in the wound helps. :D

6. houstoned

houstoned Yoga Pants Connoisseur.

Reputations:
    i'd go with Qing here. even nissan classifies it as AWD/4WD.

i prefer RWD becuz i prefer to "push" through a turn. nothing beats a few power slides when the roads are wet. :D

as for the WRX's and Evo's at the auto-x, u can't deny AWD's corner exit speeds. different strokes for different folks.

7. Double 0

Double 0 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Not quite.. most FWD based AWD vehicles whether they are crossover or sedan.. are not always FED, for example

A vehicle I'm interested in and looking to buy.. a 2012 Cadillac SRX.. which utilizes the Haldex AWD system.. to make a long story short.. it has a computer that monitors all 4 wheel, torque, etc. every 17 milliseconds or something like that..

If its even detect a loss of traction from either rear wheel.. torque is distributed to the rear electronic axle.. neat stuff, was pretty vague and almost the same as Honda's SH-AWD, and Audi's quattro

but the point of what I'm trying to say is... most of the time, it cruses in FWD

8. Star Forge

Star Forge Quaggan's Creed Redux!

Reputations:
    Wasn't that Haldex AWD system created/innovated by Saab? I remember they made a limited edition 9-3 Aero Turbo that premiered that system.

9. killkenny1

killkenny1 Too weird to live, too rare to die.

Reputations:
  10. Shobster

Shobster Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    RWD.

I drove my cousin's g35 and my dad's tacoma, and I feel more comfortable driving those RWD than any FWD I ever drove. I think the slight understeer from FWD is pretty irritating and I'd rather drive my dad's tacoma than my corolla.

Of course, FWD has its advantages, except how I compare my day-to-day driving with both vehicles, RWD takes the cake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.