1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

Poll: Has your M15x downclocking been fixed by the BIOS Update?

Discussion in 'Alienware' started by Stone825, Mar 19, 2008.

?

Have your M15x downclocking issues been fixed by the new Bios patch?

1. Yes, my M15x downclocking issues have been solved

28 vote(s)
    60.9%
  2. No, my M15x downclocking issues are still present

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stone825

Stone825 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Hey guys, this poll is intended for people who have experienced downclocking issues on their M15x and have received the new patch. If you are having downclocking problems and haven't tried the patch then call up Alienware in order for the TS agent to walk you through the steps.

I'm just going to leave this simple with 2 options. Fixed or not fixed.

Also, leave a post to let us know which users have had their issues fixed or not. By the way I just made this post because I am curious to see how well the patch is working. I am not from Alienware. This is for the community to see and maybe even Frank if he wants to take a look at it.

2. Lessaj7

Lessaj7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Fixed. I also need to call them tomorrow cause they called me today when I was at work. Not sure what it was about, most likely feedback on the BIOS.

3. Jayonhavok

Jayonhavok Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I am going to wait a day or two to answer this. Just being cautious. So far, it's working great, but I'm gonna really put her to the test tonight and tomorrow.

4. Sogarth

Sogarth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Fixed, as long as the right fan stay reasonably clear (intake and out).

5. Scrog

Scrog Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Not fixed...

6. erroneus

erroneus Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    do i need this bios patch if I'm on the 8600gs?

7. Sogarth

Sogarth Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    8600M GS? There are no M15x systems that ship with the 8600M GS...? The 8600M GT, sure, but not the 8600M GS. :confused:

In any case, if you actually do have an M15x (and are mistaken about the 8600M GS), it's advisable to get the BIOS patch. You'd probably want the final one anyways, for some of its other fixes (like for the touch controls).

8. crystak

crystak Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's nice that Alienware managed to find such an easy fix even though it took them longer than it had to.

Just glad there isn't a fault with the case design or something else.

9. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    Please explain.

10. fusioncon

fusioncon Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    also not fixed. and what's to explain? beta bios applied, downclock still occurs.

11. scooberdoober

scooberdoober Penguins FTW!

Reputations:
    Are you Scrog? If not, I didn't ask you.

12. fusioncon

Reputations:
    wow, for someone new to the discussion you've certainly decided you own the place. xxoo

13. fusioncon

Reputations:
    ps - he did explain, in another thread, but since you're so rude you can find it yourslef.

14. n0k3p

n0k3p Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i think there are some voters who dont have m15x :cool:
    also this vote suppose to be only for 8800m gtx, alienware say its would help only 8800m gtxes

15. newfiejudd

newfiejudd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey Fusioncan so sorry to hear your issue isn't fixed.. That's sad. I am happy to report so far so good. Although I would strongly urge everyone to be more patient, and give it more time to ensure it actaully is fixed.

So far I have been able to play games without downclocking. Frontlines still has freeze ups for 10seconds every minute or so. Wow FPS still drops into the low teens for now aparent reason, (although I am pretty sure that is Driver isues) and the fact that my CPU is still downclcoking. Ordered the repalcements parts March 4th. Only thing I heard from AW regarding that was information on how to send my system to the UK for repairs. That it was pretty funny actually since I live in Canada and ordered my system from the US. HE he he he. Spoke to their tech support about it and they still haven't figured out how I recieved that email, or where my parts are.. Good thing I am a patient man, but that is slowly wearing thin.

16. fusioncon

Reputations:
    they are definately getting closer, but i wouldn't say they've nailed it just yet.

17. mr_fro2000

mr_fro2000 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Not fixed... have a weird situation with mine that i need to do some more testing on.

I can get it to downclock or not downclock depending on if i 'lift' the back of the machine while playing (to get a little more air circulation to the intakes). What's weird is that if i LIFT the back, it DOWNCLOCKS and if I put it flush on my table, its fine. Weird.

18. ioaniro

ioaniro Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That's totally strange... Worth investigating lol. Do they have some kind of sensor that is malfunctioning? Like on macbook pro in the early days they had a sensor that was supposed to detect sudden changes and shut off HDD and stuff to prevent fall damage and it was working so well that when you placed your computer on a cooler with a smal tilt angle everything was going weird :D.

19. newfiejudd

newfiejudd Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Wow that is wierd. For my XPS ssyetsm the best cooling solution ever was 2 bottle stoppers from a coke bottle. Place them underneath the rubber rear footpads and lift the unit 3/4 an inch and it would run about 5 degrees cooler..

That really needs some more looking into. Using thermo Fan I noticed an increase in RPM of eh fans when lifting the bank of the unit. Just assumed it was getting better air flow and now trying to create a vacuum underneath the fan intake.

20. Lessaj7

Lessaj7 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just an FYI, two weeks or less is when the BIOS will come out. I called them today to return their call to me and he asked how the BIOS was working out, gave him some info including how I have tested it and the issue that some people still have with the downclocking (he mentioned something about thermal pads vs. thermal paste or something).

Also asked about the issue some people have with the quick touch controls, he said that they are working on it, but they are spending most of their resources on the BIOS. He also said that they don't really see a solution for it at the moment, but that was due to the BIOS focus.

Here's hoping that he was right. :)