Poll; Getting/Keeping/Reverting Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows OS and Software' started by TANWare, Aug 7, 2015.

?

It has been a while since the release of Windows 10, what is it you are doing with it?

Poll closed Oct 6, 2015.
  1. Upgraded from 7 and Keeping 10.

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. Upgraded from 8.x and Keeping 10.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Upgraded to 10 and went back to 7.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Upgraded to 10 and went back to 8.x.

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  5. Upgraded to 10 and left for something else.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 7 and will not be upgrading.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  7. 8.x and will not be upgrading.

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  8. Have not got my chance to upgrade yet.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Waiting and letting others sort things out.

4 vote(s)
    5.5%
  10. Working with 10 but on the fence about leaving.

7 vote(s)
    9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is yet anther poll but now we get to ask some further questions. I have put this up for 60 days, for myself, as of now, I am still on the fence about downgrading.

An Edit; if your plans change please come back and change your vote as well. We should all know about the 30 day inplace reversion and you have till 7/29/16 to use an image of your old installation, or new install, and retain your key.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66 Courage and Consequence

Reputations:
    I've actually performed a clean install of W10 - not an upgrade - played with it for 12 hours and nuked it.

Nothing in there for me that would make me leave W7, and plenty of stuff that I wouldn't be able to tolerate.

Obviously, YMMV.

3. Hidef1080

Hidef1080 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I wish we could pick multiple options. I have 7 and 8.1 and I'm waiting for others to sort it out. I'll still keep 7 no matter what however.

4. TANWare

Reputations:
    I too but it is either one or unlimited and we know where unlimited would get us. Very early on yet but about what I expected.

5. Ultra Male

Ultra Male Super Tweaker

Reputations:
    I disabled driver updates from the device installation settings in the Hardware tab in the system properties

I disabled driver updates from Group Policy

I disabled driver updates by ensuring the value of the following registry entries are set:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

The moment I connected to the internet all drivers were being installed From Windows Updates.

Formatted and went back to Windows 7, I will not let anyone control what drivers I run on my system. period.

6. TANWare

Reputations:
    Yeah, you can delay but not stop it. Without M$ coming out with a reversal we are doomed. If however the marketplace hits them over the head hard and long enough maybe that will change.

ajkula66 and 6730b like this.
  7. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Reputations:
    In terms of how the layout and UI works, I like it better than 7 and much better than 8. But it's buggy, as to be expected this close to launch. That bugginess is enough of an issue that while I upgraded my Win8.1 convertible (it's a better total experience even with the bugginess), I'm sticking with 7 on my DTR laptop for the time being. Once Win10 is as bug-free as 7 is, I intend on moving all my PCs to it (except for my work PC, where office policies and not personal preference dictate what it runs).

8. TANWare

Reputations:
    Yeah, the office most likely would not be happy with productivity work flow not having the privacy they would like. I doubt many companies will ever want to change over to this unless M$ makes some serious changes. I know the Enterprise version is supposed to have some/more changes but most smaller businesses will only be able to afford and run pro versions.

9. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    I have several PC's and chose to test W10 on two laptops. I'm now down to testing on only one laptop. I don't dislike W10 or the UI but it's downright buggy. I'm leaning on staying put with Windows 8.1 on my gaming rigs. I don't like forced drivers.

10. kovboi

kovboi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Tried W10 on my Surface Pro 3 and my XMG U705 (Clevo p770zm). Went back to 8.1 on both. On the SP3, the tablet experience is much worse than before, and the new browser even lacks swiping forward/back. Plus with 64gb ssd, the new onedrive is much worse since files can't be put on a microsd. On my U705, I had several random crashes with no warning or even description in system logs. I'll stick with 8.1 on both until the kinks get ironed out (much like 8 before 8.1).

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.