Plundervolt Intel microcode update potentially killing undervolting for security?

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by hfm, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Talon

Talon Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I saw that too. I am awaiting to hear if MSI laptops still have access to the BIOS, and if so then we should still be able to go in there and set a manual voltage or offset ourselves.I like the looks of the new MSI GS66 but can't justify a purchase until 10nm high end with new gen GPUs. I'm sitting just fine with my 8750H and 2080 Max-Dud.

jc_denton likes this.
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    High end 10nm is coming in mid to late 2021 and amd will have released ryzen 5000 (zen4) by then which will already be on 5nm and probably have smt-4 with 12/16 cores per ccx.

I'll be waiting for nvidia's 4000 series gpus before getting a new laptop. 2022 hopefully.

You are free to join my ever growing party of people with superpowered (shunt modded) mobile RTX cards in the meantime to weather the long wait till then.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKs Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Dell is well represented on the shame list... And I expect more models will be added on the list as new firmware being thrown out.

BLACK LIST. Adjustable voltage control/turbo ratio limits are locked out due latest Win Update/Bios

jclausius, Vasudev, Mr. Fox and 2 others like this.
  4. hfm

hfm Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    as long as my silly little 15W 4 core can push enough to the GPU play games I'll just throw a new GPU in my eGPU and call it a day.. :) At 1600p I'm still GPU limited most of the time even on this paltry CPU. I do worry about not being able to undervolt any longer, hopefully its added to the BIOS at the very least for some units.

5. dvrko

dvrko Newbie

Reputations:
    Asus added on the shame list recently got a bios update while being ignorant about this intel microcode and that broke my undervolting rip to my laptop I guess I'll have to learn how to live with high temps while gaming

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
  6. Papusan

Reputations:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2020
    Vasudev and jc_denton like this.
  7. jc_denton

jc_denton BGA? What a shame.

Reputations:
    The exploits just keep rolling in, Thunderspy. Doesn't worry me though, seems a lot of these require physical access.

Papusan and Vasudev like this.
  8. vesayreve

vesayreve Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Guys, GL704GW does disable undervolt. I stupidly updated fw to 309 then checked our specific subforum. Anyway I can flash back to 308 using winflash. It is very simple actually. I think it should work for ALL of the Asus notebooks. Download that.

Open cmd with admin privileges.
    cd to where winflash.exe is
    then enter Winflash /nodate

Doesnt matter the version this always works. It worked on my previous Asus laptop too.

However, now whenever I restart it says "restart needed to update firmware" or some bs like that. And whenever I restart it automatically flashes the recent bios. I updated to 309 using a bios installer, and that might be triggering restart to update thingy. After flashing 308 I rollback firmware driver in device manager which fixes the yellow warning icon it has but it still flashes new bios on restart. How can I fix this, please? There must be a flag or something that triggers that.

9. Papusan

Reputations:
    Ask @gieffe22 in my thread... black-list-adjustable-voltage-control-turbo-ratio-limits-are-locked-out-due-win-update-bios

Vasudev likes this.
  10. Papusan

Reputations:
    hfm, Vasudev and Mr. Fox like this.