Plugged in: Stuck at full clock speed?

Discussion in 'Dell XPS and Studio XPS' started by Kaitlyn2004, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _sem_

_sem_ Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are the profiles actually gone in the last Windows release (I still haven't migrated)? I recall they disappeared with the former "feature update" but I could get them back by creating a new profile, then the others were also offered as the starting point.

2. custom90gt

custom90gt Doc Mod Super Moderator

Reputations:
  3. unclewebb

unclewebb ThrottleStop Author

Reputations:
    I did a clean install of Windows 10 1803 on an early desktop Core i CPU yesterday and the power profiles were exactly the same as the good old days. Same thing with a 7th Gen Core i7 desktop computer I have. Perhaps the new fangled Windows power slider is only installed on laptops.

hmscott likes this.
  4. pressing

pressing Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    On my XPS 9550 laptop, I am on Windoze 10 Pro1803 and power profiles are unchanged

5. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    You find them in Win Mobility Center
    [​IMG]

And you can as well add in the Ultimate power plan (Scam) intended for Win Pro Workstation. Optimal Ytelse in Norwegian.
    upload_2018-8-22_1-33-46.png

Ashtrix and pressing like this.
  6. MrBuzzkill

MrBuzzkill Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Power profiles still exist, they are just hidden under the right click menu on the battery icon.

If your system is using the High Performance profile, it will stay at the max clock speeds indefinitely. Doublecheck to see if you are not using the High Performance Profile, and if you aren't, try checking the Energy Saving profile and see if it lowers your clocks. If there is no Energy Saving power plan, add your own: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-manage-custom-power-plans-windows-10. The slider shouldn't matter for AC use, I just tried it and it won't clock to max.

7. kilimats

kilimats Newbie

Reputations:
    Been searching for this on google for 5min and found your thread which describes EXACTLY my problem, i have the same laptop and CPU lol and im stuck at 2.8GHz

I loaded the latest bios 1.11.0, released on aug 15th a few days ago so think maybe related? what bios are you running?

8. Sptz

Sptz Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm a bit confused as to why people are saying there's a difference between balanced power plan and high performance? If you manually customise each setting to behave a certain way for battery and AC mode, then shouldn't that same power plan act as a "high performance" on AC and "energy saving" on battery? Since you're selecting power saving values for when on battery and high performance ones for when on AC?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.