PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ian_

Ian_ Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah, I know it will lock on the lowest multiplier
    just want to check that cpu can run at 266fsb
    when it's ok I will do a pll mod, but if not works at 266fsb with BSEL it wil not work with pll mod, so I don't have to risk with my soldering skill...:rolleyes:

2. andres300

andres300 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi I hava a Dell inspiron 1720 laptod with a t2370 1.73ghz cpu and I want to overclock a little because I need it for rendering a bit faster so could this work on my laptod and if dont what I have to do I found
    in another post that my pll is CY28547lfxc you help will be very apreciated thanks in advance

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Follow directions here for the CY28547 PLL.

Your T2370 is a 533Mhz FSB CPU, so the PLL is set to 133Mhz. Could instead separate the FSB track (pin45) routing it to 3.3V via a 10K resistor to run 166Mhz FSB (2.16Ghz). You'd certainly notice the improved performance if doing that.

4. niffcreature

niffcreature computer lesbian

Reputations:
    Since you already have a 1mb cache CPU, you could also buy a very cheap and similar celeron dual core CPU such as t1600 or t1700. To run at 2-2.2ghz would require no soldering.
    The t1400 and t1500 (which have dual core versions) only have 512kb of cache but could potentially run at 2.6 and 2.8ghz.

5. andres300

Reputations:
    Originally Posted by nando4
    Your T2370 is a 533Mhz FSB CPU, so the PLL is set to 133Mhz. Could instead separate the FSB track (pin45) routing it to 3.3V via a 10K resistor to run 166Mhz FSB (2.16Ghz). You'd certainly notice the improved performance if doing that.

So I have to solder but I dont know much about that, is there any sofware way? I download setfsb and dont found my pll on the list, thanks for the info

Originally Posted by niffcreature
    Since you already have a 1mb cache CPU, you could also buy a very cheap and similar celeron dual core CPU such as t1600 or t1700. To run at 2-2.2ghz would require no soldering.

oh thanks but where I live is very difficult to find a mobile cpu and if I could buy one instead I would bought something a little better XD like a core 2 duo

excuseme my english

6. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Unless your PLL is TME-unlocked AND has a compatible entry in setfsb then software PLL overclocking is not possible.

Options then are:

1. Soldering as described in my last post. A mobile phone repair technician could do that for you.
    2. Purchasing a Celeron CPU. They can be BSEL modded to run a faster FSB. That requires no soldering. A core2duo (C2D) will lock you to x6 multiplier if do that.
    3. Purchase a C2D and run it at factory designated speed.

7. andres300

Reputations:
    Opstion response
    1. If I get the mobile phone repair technician I would tell you and again apreciate your help
    2.I dont undestard why lock to 6x multiplier this laptod isn´t suposse to be compatible with even T9300 cpus and x9000?
    3.so in this case I maybe will be getting a c2d cpu could I will be able to use the full 667mhz on the ddr2 rams anyways you will see me back is I do that
    4. Thanks for your help guys I realy apreciate your faster responses and interesting.
    5.]I am still learning english.;)

8. ilguercio

ilguercio Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am back after i while.
    I already gained 200 MHz from using throttlestop but i do really want to keep on pushing my laptop.
    I also used r-w everything to read my pll but it won't access it, so i guess i can't do anything on a software level.
    Same old CY28547 and i really want to try and mod it to go for 266 MHz FSB.

9. pabloa2

pabloa2 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi. I am new to these forums but they interest me because I, like many others, like to squeeze as much performance as possible out of our hardware. We paid for it, right? So I used the information here to do my own research and perform pll pin mod on ICS9LPR355BKL. Laptop model is HPG60 which is notorious for problems but as I will explain later, mine is running well. The processor is LGA 478 Intel T4200 @ 2ghz. Chipset is Intel GL40 (ICH9 Raid Controller).I was afraid that this laptop was going to be ulockable since it is a budget hp product with an insyde bios (however it is looking like insyde bios is extremely powerful, just has to be unlocked) but it looks like a pll mod can be performed on almost any pll. You just have to look at the data sheets and see what pins need to be grounded (in this case) or whatever. Well, I came across some things that you may find interesting while testing for max fsb. Here is what I found:

1. It seems that the highest overclock I can achieve without BSOD (unstable overclock) is around 240 mhz. 240 * 10 = 2400 mhz. This is with stock heatsink. If I play games it will crash in about half hour. It seems that even if I relax my spd timings on ram I still have the exact same wall so i think it is not a ram wall but maybe the cpu not being able to run at elevated bus speeds. This is specified as a 200 mhz only processor. However the chipset is rated for 266 fsb for use with newer processors so it seems to be a cpu limitation. And since it runs at 6x multiplier unless more power is needed than it can't be the heat since it is at 1.4ghz. I tried raising voltage and the exact same wall. Does anyone have any imput? If I buy some 1066 mhz (800 is in there right now) ram and throw that in there do you think I could hit 266 bus speed?

2. The fsb always resets itself to 200 mhz UNLESS I set the fsb to 233.3 mhz. For some reason when I set the fsb to this speed not only does it 1) survive resets and poweroffs. 2)This is the only setting where the PCI frequency stays at 33.3 mhz. This inidcates that it MUST BE ENTERING SOME SPECIAL MODE. Any other setting raises the PCI frequency percentage wise.

3. If I change the fsb to anything but 233.3 mhz it will reset itself on reset or poweroff and must be set by setfsb again.

4. PC is rock solid stable at this 233.3 mhz setting even after a full night of counterstrike source (full dual core utilization) with no extra ventilation but stock laptop fan. Anything above this setting seems unstable and causes crashes.

5. Framerates are better at this 233.3 mhz settings than at 238 mhz. It seems to me that the chipset or cpu enters some sort of turbo mode. I don't know if this is a chipset feature or what but that's what it seems to me.

6. At this 233.3 mhz setting I have been able to run my kingston pc6400 valuram (800 mhz ddr2) @ 933 mhz 5-5-5-18 which is amazing considering this is the cheapest ram kingston makes. It seems it is pretty tolerant to frequency hikes. Again, stability at this 233.3 mhz setting seems to be rock solid.

Now, this is pretty cool considering I am getting a 17 percent hike in performance with no additional modifications. An added benefit of this is that at idle it sits at 1400 mhz instead of stock 1200 mhz. Now with some unlocking of insyde bios to enable dual ida (which i have a sneaking suspicion this processor is actually capable of) and enable EIST. Then we can really get to work.

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Great work. Just to save you grief, a T6600-2.2 in a Dell Inspiron 1440 is not dualIDA capable, even though the bios itself has an option to unlock EIST to allow dualIDA. The Penryn "budget" T4xxx, T6xxx miss out on IDA and superLFM mode, plus are 800Mhz FSB CPUs. A shame since IDA mode unlocks higher voltages as well, which is what you may need for stability (??). You could get higher voltage by doing a VID pinmod. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...90696-bsel-mod-socket-p-explained-photos.html .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.