PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    See info on how to TME-unlock the SLG8SP513V PLL. Please port your results if attempting this pinmod. Lots of Dell owners could benefit with a freebie performance upgrade.

2. jones965

jones965 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for the response. I had just been using google.

Thanks for the link. I'll certainly show my results here.

I just took off the bottom panel, and couldn't spot R124 or R122. Maybe I missed them, or need to further disassemble.

I don't know if I'm way off or not, I'm under the impression that I can try taking a pencil to the top of the resistor on R124 to disable it, and make a line between the R122 pads for a connection. I think I'll be trying this before any soldering.

Edit:
    Still can't seem to find R124 nor R122. This time I took out my ram, and peeled a black sticker off the mobo. The edge of the sticker is a little bent, and there is some grease on it. I hope I haven't effected anything. There is a smaller black sticker beneath the wifi card too, I'll look under that one as soon as I find out I'm not ruining anything. I suppose I'll post on that Asus forum, asking where people found theirs. It'll be a bummer if I have to remove the mobo.

3. jones965

jones965 Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I took pretty much everything apart, and found r124 + r122. Both seemed to have resistors on them though. So I didn't remove the one from r124, better safe than sorry. Now the question is if I am correct, and both had resistors.

R124 and maybe R123 were both side by side, than to their right was two resistors also side by side. I figure that means the left one is R124 and the right R123.

R122 was with 6 other codes contained in white lines, which also had 7 places all with resistors. In the list of codes, R122 was top left, so I figure was also top left out of the 7 resistors. I don't know if they were all resistors, but certainly all covered by some type of box.

According to the post on the Acer forum, you have to remove the resistor from R124 and place it on R122. Obviously there's a difference with my dell. I'd like to know if it would be wise to open this up once more, and remove the resistor from R124, leaving R122 alone. Also if it can be done with just some tweezers.

4. lmkong

lmkong Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could anybody help?
    My NB is Quanta TW8,PM45 Chipset,T9400 CPU.PLL is SLG8SP513V,and it was TME lock enable.I have learn some posts that tells how to unlock the TME mode,at last I connect pin 11(TME) to GND,and setfsb shows that bit 09 is 25,means that TME is disable,but I still can't OC.By selecting slg8sp513v,333 MHz or 200 MHz FSB,the NB crashed or reboot.By selecting SLG505YC56DT SLG505YC264BT and SLG505YC256BT,it freezed or crashed. anyone konw why?
    2.JPG

5. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Are they the only FSB options setfsb gives? Either will be problematic. 333Mhz is a subtantial increase from 266 so your CPU would now overclocked 2.53->3.16Ghz and your RAM would be overclocked 800->1000Mhz. The CPU would need BSEL voltmods and/or RMClock set to higher voltages for stable operation. The RAM would need slower RAM timings to function.

200Mhz would probably downclock your system too much to work. My 2510P downclocked from 133->110. Any less and the x3100 video doesn't like it.

6. lmkong

Reputations:
    Thx for reply,the pll doesn't give 1 MHz increase opinion,only 200->266>333->400,
    select 200 or 333 may cause comuter crash,no matter the RAM is 800 or 667.i use Rmclock to set the max multiplier to 6 @0.95v,then set FSB to 333Mhz,it still reboot.

7. lmkong

Reputations:
    As you have seen,several days ago I have done Quanta TW8 TME MOD with SLG8SP513V,but didn't success.
    At last,I change to do the BSEL MOD
    Here is a part of the PLL datasheet of Quanta TW8,
    there is a resistor R219 (2.2K) leading off the Pin64,so connect Pin 64 to GND will set fsb from 200 to 266,and it work
    I have bought a pentium dual core T4500,and now it works at 3.06GHz.The ram runs at 443MHz(DDR2 887)

Attached Files:

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    That's a great result, added to the table on the first page.

9. xarisk

xarisk Newbie

Reputations:
    hi i have an 2710p laptop i read all posts...i dont want to open the laptop it has guarantee..so i tried with setfsb and pll of 2510p .
    i cant change byte 17 and 18 ...i change 09 , changed ok...but 17,18,13,14 is only bytes i cant change....all other i can. why this happens? what i must to do to enable change these bytes?

10. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    2710P thread has had a go at software overclocking with no success. Appears then you'd need either a TME-unlock or a FSLx pinmod to be able to successfully overclock a 2710P. Perhaps worth waiting for the warranty to expire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.