PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:

Maybe you should overclock the GPU (even though it has a known fault and it may die at any time).

Some acer notebooks have MXM GPUs, if yours does you might be able to upgrade it.

I have 2 8600m GTs (MXM format) that have hynix DDR2 vram, so you can actually increase the ram timings to get a higher OC on the vRAM as you would with any normal ram.

I suggest checking the model of your vRAM and download the datasheet for it, then you could use nibitor to edit the vram timings and even test them before flashing.

2. dj_pirtu

dj_pirtu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Anyone tried to overclock PackardBell Ipower? This is the same machine as Gateway's P-7915u. I don't know what is the PLL but in another thread http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=417197 says that there is 9LPRS365BKL in P-7811.

With setfsb the screen goes blank and it just crashes. I have studied this thread a lot and I just can't get all the bits and bytes stuff to play with...

3. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Need to identify the PLL and do a setfsb->Diagnosis read to see what the PLL config registers are. If setfsb crashes, try the following:

Using r-w everthing to read PLL config data

1. Run r-w everything
    2. Select Access-Clock Generator
    3. Change byte 0C from 0D(13) to 16(22), click write close Clock Generator window
    4. Select Access->Clock Geneator. It will open same window as before but present 22bytes of data rather than 13.
    5. Post those 22-bytes here to give some idea of what is going on.

4. dj_pirtu

dj_pirtu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So here it is: http://www.nbl.fi/~nbl2192/setfsb.png

When I just press set FSB, blank screen. TME-mode? I have overclocked my desktops a lot with no worry about TME.

5. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Your config register 9, bit6=1 (TME - no overclocking). So would need to perform the tme-unlock mod for setfsb to be able to successfully program your PLL.

6. dj_pirtu

dj_pirtu Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming...

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    setfsb being developed again!! New versions are now shareware. It requires a donation of 500yen (US$5.50) via paypal to get an activation key to then provide GUI/commandline interface to set your FSB. Without the activation key it's only useful to get the FSB/PLL details.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. okashira

okashira Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Terribly sorry if this has been asked. Has anyone attempted to apply this to the PM55 platform, for mobile i3/i5/i7. At the very least I know PM55 boards run 1066 Mhz memory with i5's and 1333 mhz memory with i7's.

Tried to search this thread but the thread search doesnt seem to work (doesnt return results when I know one exists...)

9. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The answer is no, I believe.

I remember the moo had a notebook with an i7 CPU, and he found the PLL, but we couldn't find the complete datasheet for the PLL.

So I guess if you can find a datasheet, there shouldn't be any real problems doing something like the mods shown in this thread.

Please tell us how it goes:)

10. blackdove

blackdove Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks alot!
    i have overclocked my Quanta TW7,T8100 CPU,PM965 Chipset,
    by connecting ICS9LPRS365BGLFT pin 57 to GND. 200->266 fsb.

Quanta TW7 PLL,there is a resistor (4.7K) leading off the Pin57,so it is a simple job.

and my ddr2 667 ram need to mod SPD info by spdtool.
    run at ddr887.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.