PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The suggestions I have made so far are all logical and on the limited information we have, are a step forward.

Kaltmond, I am curious to know *exactly* what you did and why. Eg: Can you explain what/where is MCH? Also, once your system is running, does it believe it's running at 800Mhz or 1066Mhz? If it believes it's running at 800Mhz (eg: RAM, video, etc), how did you slow down RAM timings since it's being sent 1066Mhz signals?

2. kaltmond

kaltmond Clepple

Reputations:
    MCH is the Northbridge PM965. And it´s really running @1066 and Ram @887.

[​IMG]

3. kaltmond

kaltmond Clepple

Reputations:
    The resistor is related to BSEL 1 to give a high signal. Remove it and then connect the pin to VSS to get a low singal.
    Froget to say i modified the CAS Timing via SPDTool.

4. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Moral if you provide us with really hi res photo of your clock gen where will be able to see tracks and resistors on area where are pins 57, 58 maby we will able establish which resistor should be removed. ?

5. darnok44

Reputations:
    Ok correct me if I'm wrong but i't looks like track from pin 58 dissapear in pcb and who knows where it pop up and where is neerest resistor. :confused:

6. darnok44

Reputations:
    If SPDTool have problem with SMbus driver on your motherboard maybe putting your memory in different laptop will allow you reflashing the SPD:) It's worth to try.

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    These boards are multi-layers, sandwiched on top of each other, with different layers connecting via the through holes. So pin57 could lead to the other side OR another internal layer. Multimeter will help with continuity testing to see if there is hopefully a resistor you can disconnect on the other side.

8. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    another question. since pin 57 goes into that hole, should it eventually come back out in another hole?

where else could it go?
    Do the inner layers only contain tracks or can they contain resistors and other stuff?

If it must come out in another hole then I should be able to find that hole with a DMM right?
    If this is true I will test every single hole on the motherboard.

Also is it possible to damage the motherboard just by testing it with a DMM?
    I don't know how the DMM works, does it send it's own signal through what ever you test with it?

9. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Through hole could lead to an internal layer of tracks or could pop out on the other side with a resistor there. These boards are surface mount, so there isn't internal resistors. I believe the internal layers are just a maze of tracks.

10. moral hazard

moral hazard Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Firstly I would like to thank everyone who has helped me, especially nando4.

nando4, you were right that last time I did the mod I must have done it wrong. The resistor must not have been properly contacting the pads so that the connection from pin 4 (TME) was going nowhere. Pin 4 was getting no signal.
    This time I took a lot of care to make sure that the connection was perfect.
    I started the laptop and it’s working perfectly, the best part is that the TME = 0.
    Here is a screenshot of setfsb:
    [​IMG]

Setfsb still does not work; it does allow me to change the frequency but the laptop freezes as soon as I change it. I believe it is still the same problem of setfsb trying to make the source for the SATA clock = PLL2. My system does not like that.
    So I will write an email to Abo, hopefully it will be working soon.

Fyi, clockgen does not work either.

Again thanks to everyone for the help, I will be sure to keep you updated on whether setfsb works or not.

EDIT: as you can see from the OP, setfsb works for me now.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.