PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1el1

1el1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a SL9400, so yes it's 1066Mhz according to Intel here. What kind of switch would I use?
    Thanks

2. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So I finished my mod a while ago, but courtesy of Android I lost most of my photos (instead of uploading it to Drive as I intended, it just fu**ing deleted them without confirmation).

Anyway, I've recovered a few of them - you can see the resistor "package" (two resistors in series wrapped inside the electrical tape). The 3.3V source was taken from the pads I highlighted in red, and I found a more suitable soldering point for the pll pin on the other side of the board.

Everything works fine, except my T9900 can't do more than 3.5GHz (well it can, but is unstable in Prime95) AND it's limited to 1.1875V maximum voltage - kind of a disappointment since I was going for 4GHz :).

The North Bridge also heats up a lot - the mod added ~7 degrees to it compared to the default 266 MHz FSB, it easily climbs to 95 degrees under full GPU+CPU load (everything's on the same heatpipe). If not for my heatsink mod, it would overheat for sure.

I'd say the PLL mod is worth it for anyone who wants to get more out of their aging laptop - most Core 2 Duos should do ~500+ MHz over their rated frequency relatively easily. You'll need some soldering skills and a small soldering tip (can DIY out of copper wire).

Boot up clocks problem solved by modding BIOS to boot at lowest multiplier (basically disable EIST, then use Throttlestop in Windows).

RAM flashed to 667 MHz (= works at 830 MHz with PLL mod), 5-5-5-15 timings using SPDTool (better than Thaiphoon for DDR2 memory!). By the way, if you get a no SMBus detected error, run HWInfo, it makes the SMBus visible for all programs!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

capitankasar likes this.
  3. hdneo

hdneo Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    i have hp dv6-3063 with config corei7-720qm 8 gb ram ddr 3 and amd 5650.i found my clock gen. model from motherboard's schematic and it is 9LRS3197.i have searched in google and found someone do change BLCK from 133 mhz to 176 mhz.How i can do to this? please help

4. itixoid

itixoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Greetings to all. It's my first post here.
    I have a question about SLG8SP512T, but from another laptop, AMILO Si2636, (Santa Rosa, AFAIK), GM965 chipset.
    Native CPU was T8100 and successfully upgraded with T9300.
    Reading this tread I found the same PLL, and now thinking about PLL FSLx mod.

Here few photos, is it correct circuit with resistor to 58 pin?

Or connect 57 pin with resistor on main ground?

all.jpg all-2.jpg zoom.jpg zoom-2.jpg how.jpg

5. itixoid

itixoid Newbie

Reputations:
    Can you please advise me about SLG8SP512T?

I have doubt.
    Connect pin57 through resistor on pin58, or (as I read somewhere) connect pin57 through resistor on main ground?

Which way is correct?

6. darnok44

darnok44 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Connect pin 57, which is FSB to the ground with resistor after disconnecting this pin eg.by cutting the trace. Your goal is force FSB low making it read as a "0" since now it's high = 1.

7. Zanux

Zanux Newbie

Reputations:
    Good Work!!;)

8. Frahmi12

Frahmi12 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I have a HP 6730b Notebook, and when I will set the BCLK the tool failed with the following reason: Failed to set BCLK

Can someone help me?

Regards

9. funky monk

funky monk Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi there! It's been a while since I've posted on this forum, so I'm a little out of the loop.

A year or so ago I discovered the PLL for my laptop (Studio XPS 1640). The model number is SL28541. Unfortunately RW is unable to read the contents and the SetFSB SL28541BQC profile only give me the reading "byte error". It's odd given that some of the ICS profiles don't give error messages. Is it possible that the pins used for communication aren't accessible or something?

The information surrounding the subject is patchy at best, but the underlying principles seem simple enough. If anyone could give me a quick briefing on how things interface and fit together then that would be much appreciated.

10. Herpes

Herpes Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I have a big problem and hope for your help. I have a Clevo M980NU notebook equipped with a Intel T9500 CPU and cannot manage to apply the BSEL and VID Mod..

I´ve tried to apply the Mod but it seems not to work at all. The FSB doesn´t change and remains locked at 800Mhz.

Having found a a service manual of my notebook, I´m pretty sure it is suitable of handling a 1066Mhz FSB. ( just google "clevo m980nu service manual" )

Here are some details you may need to know in order to help me out ? I´m not sure if it´s ok to hotlink the complete service manual.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I´ve connected BSEL1 to VSS in order to obtain a 266Mhz FSB but nothing happens?

Would it be a good idea to try to enforce this kind of connection ?

[​IMG]

I´m willing to risk a hardware mod too, just in case I need it in order to convince the Bios to accept the BSEL Mod..

Best regards and thank you for your time,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.