PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gergy

gergy Newbie

Reputations:
    First off all, I'd like to thank moral hazard, nando4, kaltmond and other members that I cannot remember who have given their efforts on building this kind of marvellous thread. I have modded my clock generator with success by the help of this forum. :hi2::thumbsup:

My notebook is a Toshiba Satellite L300-257 with 4 GB DDR2 Ram and T6400 C2D processor. Chipset is GM45. The clock generator is ICS 9LPRS365BGLF and I have not cut the trace from pin 4, instead of cutting trace, I have put a parallel 2.2 kohm resistor to the ground from a suitable solder point. TME is unlocked by this mod. I've attached some photos of my pll and the mod. I can go further to 220 MHz of fsb and after that point BSOD appears, I think it's the last point for my rams. I do not know exactly moddin the ram modules but I've ordered a new processor of T9550, when I receive it I'll try to overclock it too, may be then I need the info on this forum for modding the rams. Again thanks to all people who give their efforts and their experience and knowledge here. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

2. gergy

gergy Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm writing this post from my notebook with T9550 (stock 2660 MHz) overclocked to 3020 MHz with IDA, fsb is 288 MHz. I've changed CAS values of rams to 6 and increased the VID with ThrottleStop to 1.25 V for stability. If I go further for fsb then BSOD appears suddenly. I think CPU needs more voltage. What do you advise for further overclocking?

3. DiAvL0

DiAvL0 Newbie

Reputations:
    I need your Help.

I have a Clevo M570RU with intel T9300.
    My mems is 2*2 GB PC6400 400MHZ 5-5-5-18.
    In CPU-Z The multiplier variate between 12.5/13.0/13.5, i think that this is an error because the cpu only made 2.5GHz reals.
    MY problem is: I read about this topic and i tried change the CAS Latency of my mems. I changed the CAS Latency of my Slot 1 of 3,4,5 to 4,5,6. Then i reversed the operation to 3,4,5. But i dont saved the inicial state of the mem. After that, i can't make OCing with setFSB and the DRAM frequency change of 333MHZ to 332,5MHZ and the cpu make 2493MHZ with a FSB:DRAM 3:5.
    Then i made another mistake, i saved the initial state of slot 2 and i write in slot 1. The 2 slots, now, has the same Serial Number, Part Number, etc.

My question is: I can revert this process without the initial state of the slot 1 that i not save in the beggining?

4. nikutai

nikutai Newbie

Reputations:
    sorry for my english.i select ICS9LPRS355BGLF,but report"PLL byte error",can you export ICS9LPRS355.pll file in setfsb and send to me?my email is"19933188@qq.com",thanks.

5. Henrich

Henrich Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi can someone help me unlock my pll? i have ICS 9LPR5365BKL, i cant find datasheet so if anyone can do that it will be grateful.

6. TheCodeBreaker

TheCodeBreaker 7H3 1337

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I have 2 Lenovo x120e laying around the house, one of them has the e-350 and the other has the e-240. I was just wondering if anyone knows the PLL of the x120e, figured it was about time to try overclocking these laptops. I also have an Asus Zenbook, which i took apart today looking for the PLL chip, couldnt find one... am i missing something or do these ultrabooks not come with a PLL chip.... thanks in advance for any help.

7. cdoublejj

cdoublejj Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    an over clocked E350 would knock some teeth, those things are some what beastly as is so it should really unlock some performance if you OC it. all note books have a PLL that's crucial piece that sets or help sets the CPU speed.

8. 1el1

1el1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi,
    I originally posted this in the 2530p owners lounge, but on second thought I think this is the right place so sorry for the double post.
    I have a 2530p with the SLG8SP553V as opposed to the common ICS9LPRS397DKLF. I understand that it needs a hardware mod before being able to overclock. Can someone please provide instructions for how to do this since I cannot find instructions anywhere.
    EDIT: There is this, here is the quote from that post:
    "What is possible is a FSLx PLL pinmod like discussed at How to pinmod and further overclock the M11x R1 (SLG= Hardmod only) . 300Mhz would boot up OK but requires wiring a LOGIC 1 to FS_C, FS_B and FS_A. I doubt 333Mhz would boot but you could try by wiring a LOGIC 1 to FS_C. Your dual-IDA L9400 would be overclocked to:

300x8=2.40Ghz
    333x8=2.66Ghz"

From what I can tell by looking at the datasheet here (the only place I found the datasheet), is that pins 2, 7, and 20 are FS_B FS_C and FS_A respectively. Not sure what to do with that knowledge. I also see that it is quite similar to the SLG8SP556 that the M11x has, as mentioned in the post I linked to. Need someone familiar with this to guide me further.
    I also would like to know what I can gain with this mod?
    Thanks

9. jotm

jotm Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey 1el1,

I've just successfully finished a PLL mod for the Elitebook 8530, getting a T9900 to 3.8 GHz.

If you have a 1066 MHz FSB processor, all you need to do is connect a 3.3V line to FS_C pin via a 7-15K resistor (in my case I used 2x 4.7k resistors) - it may be hard if you can't find a large enough soldering point.

For example: a T9400 can go from 2.53 to 3.2 GHz, an SL9400 will go from 1.86 (@266 MHz FSB) to 2.33 GHz (@ 333 MHz FSB, 2.6GHz with Dual IDA).

Now, to make it work fine without hardware voltmods (if it's even possible), you can edit the BIOS to disable EIST at boot - this will lock the CPU at 1.6 GHz (or whatever the minimum multiplier frequency is) at boot, which you can then set manually to whatever clocks you want in Windows using Throttlestop.

If RAM is not stable, you can edit its speed using SPDTool 0.63 (CAREFULLY) - works great for DDR2. I managed to lower the timings to 6/5/5/15 running at 830 MHz on a pair of 4GB modules (another pair could not even work at 800 MHz), so it's a bit faster and has less latency.

If SMBus is not detectable by SPDTool (typical HP db***ry :)), you can unlock it with HWInfo (default settings unlock SMBus at startup).

The PM45 chipset won't work with 533 MHz RAM or any non standard clocks, so you're stuck with 667 MHz and 800 MHz, and lowering the timings down to 6/7/7/28 minimum I think (doesn't go lower for me).

I'll reassemble my laptop and post a more detailed guide, but these are my comments on this for now...

10. Hurricane3000

Hurricane3000 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all!

I am new of this forum, and I hope to find some help to clear me some doubts I have about to get some further MHZ from my HP Compaq 6910P business laptop.
    I already successfully upgraded the CPU from T7300 (2 Ghz, 800 FSB, 4 Mb Cache) to T9300 (2.5 Ghz, 800 FSB, 6 MB Cache).
    A great step and Cpu temperatures are very good (25 in idle and 55 with 100% load of cpu) also thanks to the better power management of the T9300.

But now I want get more from my laptop, and I'm thinking to increase the FSB from 800 to 1066 Mhz.
    But now begins my doubts:

My laptop uses a chipset GM965, and I read in datasheet that this chipset only support 800 mhz FSB.
    Then I can't increase it to 1066 Mhz modding the PLL FS_ pins (because chipset does not support such FSB)?

Another doubt is: Increasing FSB, Only CPU and memory will be affected and benefits by it, but may be that other devices will work incorrectly (i.e. Usb ports or hard disk)?

Using the PLL pin modding, is not important the logic state of TME (loocked or unlooched)?

I forget to say that my 6910P have a SLG8SP512T PLL, and then I can't use SetFSB.

Thanks for help

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.