PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capitankasar

capitankasar Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    hi.

I remember i used setfsb to OC my old pentium 4 laptop some years ago.

I was wondering if is also posible to overclock a sandy bridge laptop, the laptop is the XPS 15 (L502X)

if there are chances to OC it, I can take the machine appart again to search the ICS info when I get back from a family trip.

thanks in advance

2. przem997

przem997 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

I'm make pin mode, hardware:
    Acer Aspire 7738G
    Intel Core 2 Duo P8700
    1066 Bus, (266)
    ICS 9LPRS365BKL
    RAM: 4GB 1333 + 2GB 1066

Acer Support: Acer Aspire 7738G Notebook Specifications

I make pin mode
    I cut oryginal path to pin11.

From 11 pin i put resistor 5k, 10k, 20k, 30, 50, 70, 90k to ground but still I have logic 1.
    When is resistor 5k voltage is 0.24 in 11pin but fetfsb have still logic 1.
    Screenshot shows it's status on register 9 bit 6, shown as 65h=1100101(binary) bit 6=1, meaning no overclocking

What wrong make i?

Tutorial from I do:
    EN:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...pll-pinmod-overclocking-methods-examples.html
    PL:
    Podkrêcanie CPU Compal FL90 - dla odwa¿nych - Forum Notebookcheck.pl
    RU:
    Ðàçãîí ïðîöåññîðà - 22 còðàíèöà

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I MAKE IT

my tutorial

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2015
  3. iJo09

iJo09 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!

I have TME-unlocked my Acer Aspire 5920G:
    System Board Rev. G (I think) with ICS9LPRS365BGLF and MY Modded BIOS
    Kingston HyperX Gaming Memory 4-4-4-11 667MHz
    Intel Core 2 Duo T8300, 800MHz FSB and 45nm technology.
    And....a stunning Tuniq TX-3 over it!! :)

First of all, I haven't disassembled my notebook. Only the back plastic that covers - nearly - everything has been removed. I've just taken a small wire and I have soldered on the second resistor after PIN 4 to the first leg that make contact to the board. Then I have connected it to GND by putting the other side of the cable in the nearest screw hole (the Mini-PCIe one that supposed to be for Intel Robson)
    And that's it! :)

I had trouble soldering the wire on the resistor because it's an SMD one. It's risky because you can short circuit the board.
    But now I have a fully functional overclock feature! :)

[​IMG]
    2,88GHz with Dual IDA Enabled ;) Rock stable!

4. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Congrats, great to hear from another 5920G owner. I'm still wondering why it didn't worked for me with T9500 (800MHz FSB), but it runs just fine with X9100 (1066MHz FSB, downclocked to 800MHz via pin-mod).

*Looking at your sig* You'll need to put some more wires in your LVDS cable and arrange them correctly, in order to get 1440x900. If you want 5920G's schematics, let me know (if you don't have them already) :)

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Congrats on TME-unlocking your system. Now 2.88Ghz is a great result however I've seen ppl overclocking T8300s to 3.2Ghz (dual-IDA), so you could (1) slow your RAM timings down with SPDTool/Thaiphoon Burner (2) increase the x13 voltage using Throttlestop and ensure you show the temps in the system tray, then (3) use setfsb to increase the FSB up to the point of CPU and/or thermal instability, then back off 5Mhz to get a stable point.

A overclocked T8300 represents excellent bang-per-buck as a T9300/T9500 will hit an OC wall at ~3.4GHz.

6. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have a Fujitsu AH530 (Arrandale) with SLG8SP585V.

I am referencing Google Translate

With setpll and the no_hw_mod .lut, I can only goto 138mhz bclk. At 139, it locks up.

So I am looking to separate pcie.

That guide is supposedly for the SLG8SP585, but it includes this diagram:
    [​IMG]
    It shows bridging pcie_sata_r/# with cpu_dmi/# and disconnecting cpu_dmi/# from src_1/#

However, here is the SLG8SP585:
    [​IMG]
    It shows that src_1 and sata are shared @ pins 11 and 12, with 13 and 14 being src_2/#

What is the situation? I am not Russian and don't feel confident using a translator to post on their forum. According to the post, they are working with a SLG8SP585 yet posted a diagram showing SLG8SP587V, which seemingly has a different pinout?

I am pretty thrilled to be able to manipulate bclk with setpll. I just need to break past 138bclk now, and most likely modify my SPD for looser timings.

update: looks like the atheros minipcie card is not tolerant of increased pcie. max bclk is 138 with wifi on. disabling, i was able to test incrementally into the high 150's for bclk. somewhere around 150, i started getting video artifacts. dropping bclk down to 140 fixed it, but then I took a big jump from 140 back to the last bclk I benched (158) and it locked up. Looks like something doesn't like the spike in pcie. Not that 150+ was usable anyway because of video artifacts, but it was still going. RAM seemed to be holding on as well, even though I didn't change the spd so it was at cas7 (have an x64 os right now so can't use older thaiphoon burner)

Is definitely good news and makes me eager to attempt separation of pcie.

7. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Only way you'll know with 100% confidence which PLL pins are SATA and which are DMI is to get the AH530 schematic: Fujitsu LifeBook AH530 (Discrete) - hobi-elektronika and review the PLL pinout. Unfortunately that free schematic doesn't have the PLL shown. Maybe try this one instead which does show the PLL on the first summary page: http://notebookschematic.com/?tag=fujitsu-ah530-uma-schematic

8. iJo09

Reputations:
    @triturbo: Wow, you can run X9100 on a 5920G! Nice :) I don't want to spend one more cent on this PC. It's outdated now. And IMHO upgrading it is a waste of money (and time). Better buy a new beast :)

@nando4: Well, I tried clocking it more and this is what I've achieved
    [​IMG]
    Very stable!

Even if I slow the timing of RAM, putting more than 504/760 in SetFSB will reboot the system itself.

9. User Retired 2

Reputations:
    Nice.. but I believe you could overclock further. Necessary is slowing down the RAM timings and increasing the x13 voltage to the max using Throttlestop then ramping up the FSB in setfsb until it's unstable. If you are already at max voltage, then consider a +0.1V or +0.2V CPU voltmod to increase voltage http://forum.notebookreview.com/har...90696-bsel-mod-socket-p-explained-photos.html . Before doing this check the temps with the current overclock/voltage and try to estimate how much margin you have to play with. You'd want max ~93 degrees at full load to give you a decent margain before the CPU hits Tjmax (100/105) degrees where the system would switch itself off to prevent overheating.

10. iJo09

Reputations:
    Well, with the stock voltage (1.2125v) and IntelBurnTest the notebook turns itself off because it reaches 105°C. Even with no overclock and a repaste. Never had problems 5-6 months ago...maybe the heatpipes are broken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.