PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    Got my old Patriot PC6400 2x2GB in there, as I guessed they're flash-happy. The next problem - someone cares to explain why the hell it heats-up so fast on what it's supposed to be standard clocks (3066MHz, 1066MHz FSB)? I mean, with ThrottleStop at the same CPU speed (3066MHz), but lower FSB (800MHz) it runs like 20ºC cooler!!! With SetFSB with the above clocks it hits 103ºC for just 40 seconds under Orthos! It takes A LOT more with ThrottleStop to reach 81ºC and stays there (maybe even lower, I ran the 3,0GHz test quite some time ago). Could it be because of the BSEL moded -0,2v?

EDIT: Also the fan reactions are kinda retarded. At 80ºC it starts to spin-up at 90ºC it switches to higher gear, where it's supposed to run at full blast...

2. 701kps

701kps Newbie

Reputations:
    about my 4741G,clockgen is ICS9LRS3197AKLFT,I want to overlock my cpu,first I

input "setpll -read" ,it creat the myPLL.lut file,then I run "setpll -preview myPLL

151",it shows "No 151Mhz entry in [BCLK] section of myPll.lut" .What's wrong?Did I

do something wrong?

3. ajimijames

ajimijames Newbie

Reputations:
    EDIT: See my second post. ^^

4. Javier Gusfraba

Javier Gusfraba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    soo after a bunch of time and 4 sticks of ram i have not had any luck making it stable.so i threw in a celeron 585 i had and it has downclocked itself to 133mhz on the bus?!? ram is at 266 yet stable.

what im wondering is is it possible to "hot plug" my flashable stick that will not boot,with laptop in sleep(leaving working stick in place)..i mean it certainly does not sound safe,but i really dont know what else to do ...aside from buying more ram blindly hoping it will work...

5. ajimijames

ajimijames Newbie

Reputations:
    OK it seems that I don't need the TME unlock after all since 09h bit 6 is already 0. Which means I'm good to go for software overclock using setFSB. But then when I move the slider, it goes back to the original position. Any suggestion?

EDIT: Nevermind. I finally get it to work! It does need to ground the pin 4. After 2 days i finally get to ground the pin using a 22ohm resistor (not the SMD type).

My System:
    Acer Aspire 6920G with T8300 2.4GHz
    ICS9LPRS365BGLF PLL

Currently running at 3 GHz ^^ @ 233 MHz FSB. Will try to increase it just to see how high it can go. Not sure if my RAM can handle it though.
    Will post pic soon once I settle everything up.

UPDATE: Here's my screenie with my laptop running stable at 3Ghz. Now all I need is a GPU upgrade. ^^,

[​IMG]

6. Javier Gusfraba

Reputations:
    just realized i was posting in a alienware thread not a ram speed thread so i will move back here i was reading throttlestops website it says
    "
    There is also another way of recovering corrupted SPD EEPROM device, which consists in hot plugging a DIMM module without the need for pin isolation. So, after POST is complete, enter BIOS Setup utility to get as much time as we need to install DIMM leisurely. Insert DIMM making sure the connector edge of the DIMM aligns correctly with the slot and push down firmly until it snaps into place and both levers close. Now press the F10 key to exit. Upon exiting BIOS choose No to not save the settings. After that your system will not be restarted and Windows will begin loading."

the problems with that for me are
    1 my laptops bios (dell a17) does not have f10 save/exit command and also seemingly always resets after exit even with no change.

2 im having a hard time finding info or success storys from people that have reflashed ram. i really dont want to buy more ram as only 1 stick has been flashable so far (1 out of 3 samsung 1gb?) and the only stick that will boot at 266 on the bus is a hynix 800speed 2gb at 6.5.5.18 timings(is write protected) .

~edit~ will thaiphoon burner work with xp in vmware?

i am currently stable with this cpu and the hynix stick but my only flashable stick will no longer boot due to me using spdtool because of not wanting to install xp. i now have partition ready but am extremely hesitant to hot plug ram in sleep hibernate or in bios for fear of bricking my already gimped machine here. does anyone have experience with saving a dead stick of ram and have any pointers theyd be willing to share?

7. Javier Gusfraba

Reputations:
    or can i install ram from the "f12 one time boot menu option" at startup? sorry for being a rookie at this and asking what im sure are seemingly stupid questions

8. Javier Gusfraba

Reputations:
    Okay for anyone wondering in future,Yes you can install a bricked ram from boot menu as long as you have a bootable stick.

i would like to thank everyone who has given me advice here at nbr otherwise this would have never have been possible.

my dell lat e5400 has succesfully been fslx modded from 200mhz to 266 and is working stable at 6.6.6 18.24 timings@333mhz(now running @445)

what i did was cut pin 45's trace after confirming its location on motherboard with digital ohm meter then ground it via 10k ohm resistor

i used spd tool to flash the ram and thaiphoon burner demo for timing tables(and alot!! of trial and bsod..err error)system ran hot with high cas latency's??

pics here

the concept:
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2666/capture21l.png

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/7717/capturesms.png

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1681/capture3n.png

The end result
    http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1441/finishedg.png

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/2319/donedi.png

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4168/valids.png

increased WEI from 5.5,5.5,3.9,3.4,5.7 to 6.4,5.9,4.2,3.5,5.7

hyper pi dropped 10 secs
    throttlestop 32m dropped roughly 20 secs
    system is noticeably faster
    will update as egpu progress comes along

NOTES

make sure you have at least one flashable stick of ram before doing this mod.!!!!

SYSTEM

Dell Latitude e5400
    3gb ddr2
    t7300
    pll-slg8lp554v

9. citivsaltivsfortivs

citivsaltivsfortivs Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is it possible for me to use setpll on my Qosmio X775 (i7 2630qm)? I generated a myPLL.lut but nothing further. I can not find a .lut for my laptop. How do I proceed? Pls help.

10. ziddey

ziddey Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what the available ram multipliers are for 200fsb on a gl960/gm965/pm965 chipset?

I'm tempted to try 266fsb, but I'm pretty sure my ram can't handle 444. If there's a 1.33x, 355 should be doable.

I guess I'll try changing my spd and give it a shot soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.