PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flolic

flolic Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok guys, my first post here.
    I have T61 (15.4" wide) with X3100 integrated graphic and T7100 CPU. I tried to overclock it as per tqbinh's post #1202. My motherboard is a little different than his, but I find correct points to do pinmod.

The problem is that GM965 chipset obviously don't like 266MHz FSB. I can load windows in safe mode and test prime95 all day without any problem, but if I try to load windows in a "normal" way, graphics becomes garbled and soon bricks the computer. Is there any workaround that problem?
    Tnx.

__
    Filip

2. Javier Gusfraba

Javier Gusfraba Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice dadik,
    after pulling motherboard i think there may be a way for me to get 266 mhz operation but i was hoping someone with experience in this could look at my pics to see if i can pull this off or not. the problem is where pin 45 goes through motherboard . i believe ive found its location on back side of motherboard but am wondering if it connects to anything else on its way through the board?

pic 1 shows the pll front and back just turned around so top is in same position
    pic 2 shows what i believe to be pin 45's route across motherboard
    pic 3 shows a solder blob from the factory and a fairly open spot to cut the trace on board..also is only solder blob on that trace line

ImageShack Album - 3 images

so my questions are

1 is that indeed pin 45's trace on backside of motherboard? and is it modable after it comes through board like that or will mod need to be on the pll side.

2 if i can mod after it travels through board does the location i chose on pic 3 seem good? there is a ground point about 3 inches away.

3 my ram is a 1 gig samsung stick and a 2 gig hynix stick both 800 speed , ..should i slow down the cas on one stick of ram before hand ?
    i assume yes but what stick do i slow down?

thanks to everyone whos helped

3. Yrr

Yrr Newbie

Reputations:
    @Javier Gusfraba:

question 1: if you confirmed low resistance(0-2Ohm) between this point and pin 45 it should be relatively secure, in case it is wrong nothing should get damaged as you use a high value resistor(10k) for pulldown.
    But best would be if you crosschecked with the schmatic of your notebook, you might find it with google.

question 3: first check if the RAM is write protected then it doesn't really matter which stick you mod, but you might have to decrease memspeed to 667 as I think not every chip can handle 1066MHz even at increased timings.​

Now I personally have some questions I hope someone can answer me:
    First the situation:
    I have a HP nx6310 with i945 chipset and ICS9LP306 PLL.
    Unfortunately the clockgen does not seem to support software OC.
    I currently have as Core 2 Duo T5300(533FSB) and already tried a PLL mod to 667Mhz with Ram with modded timing but the notebook won't boot and just shut down.
    I already thought of one solliution: using a second PLL(which is software accessable) to generate the FSB clock, in this way I could circumvene the no boot issue and at least should be able to get some OC. Preferrably I would take this PLL from a old Desktopboard(P4) of which I have several in my posession.

Now my questions:

1. Does ICS9LP306 allow software OC?

2. Second PLL: Is it possible to generate the FSB clock with a seperate PLL?The FSB clock signals seem to be quite identical from P4 upwards, appart from a little bit stricter timing. What are the requirements for the PLL?

3. If you have any other idea how I could OC my Laptop please post it.

I appreciate all anwers

4. mbze430

mbze430 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I been searching this thread for a PLL ALPRS355B. I have a HP/Compaq cq62-219wm that I want to put a Intel Core 2 Duo P9xxx or a T9xxx series or even a Core 2 Quad Q9xxx.

I was reading the FSB downclock modthread on BSEL mod. then using either PLL Pinmod or software to clock it back up to speed. But I can't seem to find anything on this mysterious ALPRS355B clock generator.

I haven't actually disassemble the laptop to really find the actual PLL but according to this schematic

Any feedback would be great

5. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    The CQ42 schematic also indicates it uses a ALPRS355B but then shows it as ICS9LPRS355BKLF MLF64 on pg2. It's the same PLL as used in a HP 2510P linked on the first page of this thread.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope.

Reputations:
    I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for this question or not but here goes. I have SetFSB working fine on my Slate 500 running W7. I donated for both copies I use on my Acer and HP.

Everything is fine running W7. When I load W8, SetFSB will not get past the shareware screen. It does not recognize the key. I wrote to Abo-san who asked me to demonstrate that I was a contributor and I sent the dates I contributed. I have never heard back after that. I'm assuming that he doesn't have SetFSB running properly in W8 yet. Does anybody have it running in W8 CP?

If not, will Set-PLL run in W8? Anybody know? My slate runs so much better overclocked that I don't use W8, rather than run my atom at stock clocks.

7. Javier Gusfraba

Reputations:
    Nando man i need your help, i am currently on my laptop @266 mhz fsb but am extremely unstable .I was wondering if you could tell me if i can bsel mod back to 200 mhz fsb? ive been searching because i remember a post with info on down clocking but am having no luck.. i flashed ram to 333 but spd tool auto set cas faster. so i just want to down clock without removing fslx mod so i can reflash ram in a stable manor.. is this possible? and sorry for the rambling post

8. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    As FSLx is hardwiring the PLL directly it should in theory ignore the BSEL pinsettings. If the CPU is unstable then can use Throttlestop to set a lower multiplier and optionally increase voltage to gain stability.

If the RAM/video/chipset are unstable, then yes, need to set higher CAS in your RAM's spdtable. It would require unsetting the FSLx pinmod or find another system which you can swap the RAM into and flash it.

9. Javier Gusfraba

Reputations:
    thanks Nando,i have tried low multipliers and higher voltages with same random bsod's ..i did manage to do the throttlestop 32m (dropped from 89sec's to 66secs) and temps peaked at 75 before fan kicked on and it dropped about 4 degrees per core.

I will make a detailed post with benchmarks as soon as i get it stable, for your information bank here.

10. jot_er_ka

jot_er_ka Newbie

Reputations:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.