PLL Pinmod Overclocking Methods and Examples

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by moral hazard, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. manocao

manocao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    url above is not accesible, server is down ->edit: now it's ok
    anyway, if your pll is ics9lprs387bklf, i have been trying together with abo (setfsb creator) without success, no possible to overclock over 172mhz, there must be a problem with sata or pcie bus
    in fact, overclock works when using xp without hdd (on the fly, from hiren's bootcd usbdrive), then after installing the hdd back to the laptop and booting, any overclock over 172mhz makes laptop hang

2. dadik

dadik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

URL is working for me :O but anyway I have slg8sp513v. My default clock is 266mhz. So I shouldnt have same issue as you do. I have send an email to Abo yesterday but he didnt answered yet, I hope he will answer me :) btw avoid OCing while PCIE/SATA clocks rises too, simply not worth it :D

3. manocao

manocao Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    in my case, in order to go further than 172mhz, pcie bus must be raised to 105mhz, which makes laptop hang if hdd is installed

4. dadik

dadik Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello guys, me again :) I have managed to underclock 266>200 after setting clock, laptop rebooted but with lower FSB, I took screen of registers it seems that
    control register 14 is changed, datasheet is quite useless, it says reserved, only bit 7 is "Vendor Manufacturing/Production Test Mode. Please write with “0” ".

266 is 01h
    200 is 89h (it means even that 7 bit is used :O )

so I just have to find 333/400 setting ? Can I do it this way? But with reboot everytime I wont be able to increase voltage to overclock :/

5. triturbo

triturbo Long live 16:10 and MXM-B

Reputations:
    IT WORKS!!! :D Thank you, moral hazard and nando4!

I haven't tried it with X9000, and I had it for 6 months. It's an eXtreme as well, but I guess it's because the new one is supposed to run on 1066MHz FSB. I really don't know, but it works :D Today out of nowhere I decided to give it a go, set a baby step aaaaand BANG, it worked! So I pushed it further, and it worked flawlessly! So it definitely doesn't work with 800MHz CPUs as T9500 (probably X9000 as well, but since I have the wires Kapton-ed to the socket, I don't want to test it).

Now I have another issue. When I get the clocks to 400MHz memory, it doesn't switch to 400MHz profile (6,6,6,18), instead it stays at 333MHz ones (5,5,5,15). What should I do? The modules are PC6400, so they definitely should work.

6. User Retired 2

User Retired 2 Notebook Nobel Laureate NBR Reviewer

Reputations:
    Congrats, but it's not clear what you did above. Did you do a 200->266Mhz FSLx pinmod or just did software overclocking of your PLL?

Your 965PM chipset will use the 333Mhz SPDTable profile because at it's highest 800Mhz FSB it runs 666/333Mhz RAM. The 965PM chipset does not support 1066Mhz FSB operation, and from what I can tell won't even boot if you try to run it that way. Hence why a T9400/X9100 requires a prior 266->200Mhz BSEL pinmod.

The advantages of performing the 200->266Mhz PLL pinmod for your system are:

* it will bootup the X9100 at it's native 3.06Ghz speed rather than 2.3Ghz.
    * your RAM will overclocked running at 443Mhz. Instability can be resolved by increasing CAS in the 333Mhz SPDTable entry.

The CPU has unlocked multipliers so you can adjust it up to the point of thermal limits and/or instability.

Do note if you are running a X9100 at 3.6Ghz (max) then you could have considered a cheaper T9500/T9300/T8300 to achieve simialr results. Wiith a dual-IDA modded bios and 200->266Mhz PLL pinmod the would have the following theoretic limits:

T9500: 3.73Ghz
    T9300: 3.60Ghz
    T8300: 3.47Ghz

7. triturbo

Reputations:
    Sorry, I posted it right away, just to share how happy I am :D

It's "TME-unlock" using "ICS9LPRS365BGLF" through "setfsb_2_2_115_87". I asked a guy from a repair shop to do the mod a year ago, but it didn't worked for my T9500. Then I switched to X9000 and since there's ThrottleStop I didn't try if SetFSB would work. Yesterday I read about overclocking the memory and the only way that popped in my mind was SetFSB, and here we go.

How to do FSLx pinmod, or the better question, is it possible to do 200->266Mhz FSLx pinmod, since I already have 266MHz -> 200MHz pinmod? Do I need to add even more wires :D I already have two - one for the downclock (266MHz -> 200MHz) and one for the undervolt (-0,2v). I'm a tad scared not to fry something.

So it's not going to read the 400MHz settings, even though it's actually running at those speeds? What should I do, rewrite the 333MHz settings with the 400MHz one?

It's not possible for me as follows:
    1. I don't know why, but with T9500 inside it wont overclock at all. Even slight bump in the FSB causes hang or BSOD.
    2. I have now X9100 E0 which runs A LOT cooler than C0 X9000 and T9500, so T9500 @3.73Ghz wont be possible as well, because I'll hit thermal wall @3.2GHz (that's the maximum I got form X9000).
    So X9100 E0 is my only option to get to 3.6GHz :)

EDIT: Sorry, I'm a bit sleepy :eek: Scratch the second reason. I guess if most of the overclock is taken from the FSB, the CPU itself wont go that hot, or I'm mistaken? I never had unlocked CPU and FSB overclockable MoBo till now, so it's a bit dark field for me.

EDIT 2: I saw what a FSLx pinmod is. Well I'll have to be sure that the system would be stable first. I found how to change the CAS as well, but I still can't find the rest of the timings. I'm really sleepy, so I'll get those tomorrow.

8. triturbo

Reputations:
    Relatively fresh head now :)

OK, the CAS (tCL) is easy, what about the rest - tRCD, tRP, tRAS? Their values are in ns, so how could I find which is the corresponding value for tRCD to become 6 for example? Trial/error?

If I do FSLx pinmod it wont require any wires in the socket anymore, right? Which pin I'll need to lift/do-some-modifications? Since I can run it undervolted, and there is ThrottleStop, I wont need extra juice the hard way, right?

EDIT: Found the spec sheet of my RAM, all I'll have to do is to change the CAS. Oddly enough, the rest of the clocks/timings are already at the 400MHz settings, where they should be slightly lower. Well at least I wont bother fixing them :D

The second question remains - all I'll have to do (or someone to do it for me) is to lift Pin57 and connect it to Pin58? With fixed RAM clocks/timings it should run without any wire in the socket right?

EDIT 2: It seems that changing the CAS value wont be an easy task. Probably because my MoBo is not supported, but it gives me an Error - "Verify Failed. Index 0x12 is 0x70, should be 0x40", where 0x40 is 6 and 0x70 is 4,5,6. Any other tools?

9. chung_gun

chung_gun Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hi, guys..

my second laptop ibm thinkpad r50e was overclocked by 27% with setfsb, but synchronously changed pci clock make audio pci device unrecognized by system. (stable recognized by 10% overclocked)
    internal graphics get insane at 28% overclocked.

r50e' PLL is "CY28346ZI-2"

is there any method for this overed pci-clock emended to original clock with the cpu overclocked.???

and..
    as for implementing hardware pin-moded overclock , do you recommend soldering devices appropriate for the microscopic job with URL link to me..???

10. Yrr

Yrr Newbie

Reputations:
    @triturbo
    You probly can't change your SPD ROM because it is permanantly write protected. That is the case with my Notebook Ram too.
    You can check this with this method.
    Only workaround is buying other not locked Ram or changing the SPD-ROM chip on the RAM for an unprotected one.
    If you are the risk taking type you can find this type of chip even on very old (Desktop)RAM-Sticks you might have lying around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.